Nov 12, 2019, 05:06 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

GR-18 Gyro Setup

Hi Everyone

Can you assign a 3 position switch to a GR-18 Gyro?

I want to have gyro off, gyro on and gyro hold on a switch.....That part is easy!

When I go to the curve to set the modes -100, -50 and +100 to activate the modes the curve will not save for the previous input. I just keep going round in circles.

I don't want to go down the phase setup as my gliders already have 5 phases pre programmed and it would be a lot of programming to get all the phases working correctly, so i'm looking at the switch setup as an alternative.

Tried assigning different channels, different curve types etc; Can it be done on an Mz32? What am I doing wrong.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2019, 05:23 PM
That shouldn’t be a problem, I have done this many times.
Please send a picture of your curve setting, that might help to understand what the problem is.
Nov 18, 2019, 08:38 PM
Does this YT video help any? Ignore if you have already looked at it. Just trying to help.
Tutorial - Setting up a Graupner Airplane Flight Controller (12 min 36 sec)

Hope someone provides an answer for you before the weekend.
Jan 14, 2020, 10:14 AM
Electric Fight Columnist
I have a similar situation although I didn't have any problem getting the flat curves to work. I set them up on the phase switch since it's a regular power plane.

Gyro off - flat curve -100%
Gyro on - flat curve -50%
Rate Mode -flat curve +50%

DT button set to control gain and is at midpoint.

My issue is when it's in gyro on mode for just stabilization, there is very little noticeable movement of the servos. Gain is set at midpoint and if I dial it all the way up, it's more noticeable. With it set at midpoint, when I go to Rate mode there is a LOT of movement.

So, why so little in gyro mode and so much in rate mode when they're set for the same gain?

I'm assuming operator error here somewhere, but I'll be darned if I can see why.
Last edited by Greg Gimlick; Jan 14, 2020 at 10:54 AM.
Jan 14, 2020, 01:26 PM
+1 on the gyro! Showing how to setup a 3 position switch and demonstrating and explaining the different modes would be great!!
Jan 14, 2020, 02:05 PM
It is well explained in the video early in the beginning.

Stabilization requires very little control surface deflection during flight as it really sits in the background doing its thing. You do not want large deflections unless it is really needed. For sport planes the default of 5 for control surface deflection is more than sufficient and the gains at midpoint even less are also fine.

The rate mode is different in a sense that wherever you placed your flight controls the control surfaces will remain in that place until new input is provided.

A good example is when flying a knife edge.

When in rate mode and after control input is given for knife edge flight you can let the sticks go back to neutral and the model will continue to hold the same control surface deflections until new input is provided. If all is set correctly you are in a mode where flight is literally hands off and consistent needing only small throttle inputs to retain the same attitude.
Jan 14, 2020, 02:18 PM
Electric Fight Columnist
That's the way mine looks then. It's set up exactly as you describe and as the video shows, although I stumbled along the way with moving the stick, rotating the plane and when to quit doing each step in that process.

I've flown it without the gyro active and everything is fine, but haven't tried the gyro yet. The weather is supposed to give us a break later this week and I'll go experiment with the gyro.

My EagleTree system works exactly that way, but I think shows a bit more deflection than this in regular gyro on mode. I know I can tweak it if needed.

The problem with hands off flying is I get a bit distracted watching it....the last time I did a low inverted pass at Joe Nall using rate mode, I enjoyed watching it and then suddenly realized the ground was rising....then I pulled instead of pushed.....OOOOPS, shoulda packed a garbage bag inside the Pitts :-) Big debris field on the main runway, but lots of help picking it all up :-)
Jan 14, 2020, 02:36 PM
Because I have an MZ-24, this other Graupner-USA video did well in clarifying the setup further.
This helped me understand better the setup of a gain control. I chose to use a knob rather than the slider which I fumbled with.

Setting up the airplane gyro with V2 fiirmware (7 min 8 sec)
Jan 14, 2020, 03:16 PM
Due to its tight integration with the radio the flight controller can be automatically and dynamically adjusted during flight for any flight condition you can think off.

I have seen some pretty creative user setups over the years.
Jan 14, 2020, 05:05 PM
Electric Fight Columnist
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCS 1980
Because I have an MZ-24, this other Graupner-USA video did well in clarifying the setup further.
This helped me understand better the setup of a gain control. I chose to use a knob rather than the slider which I fumbled with.

Thanks, I'll take a look at this video. I saw it and didn't watch since it was the MZ-24.

I hate sliders on all my radios because I'm constantly hitting them the way I hold the transmitter. Since the little digital trim button take an intentional move to change, I put it there and it's still easily accessible.
Jan 19, 2020, 03:57 PM
Electric Fight Columnist

Gyro test flight at last!

Well today provided the perfect conditions to check out the gyro. I have it set up in a Sig LT-25 I built from a kit about 20 years ago. It’s been a testbed for many things and is long in the tooth, but still soldiers on.

Conditions today were 11 gusting to 22 directly across the runway. Most of the time I’d say it was closer to 15G20 and bumpy.

First flight was a regular trim flight without gyro active, then I landed, adjusted the mechanical linkages to neutralize trims and check again. With all of that done, the next flight I got some altitude and turned the gyro on. Everything seemed pretty good and it certainly dampened out the effects of the conditions. I dialed up the gain about 8% and flew some more. Pretty happy so I did another flight to check out the rate mode. I set it up for off, on, and rate. Conditions made knife-edge with the trainer pretty much impossible since it doesn’t like it anyway. I rolled inverted and released the controls to see if it held and it did a pretty darn good job,

Soooooo, apparently I set it up correctly and it’s doing its job pretty well.

Now to install the system into a WW1 scale project.
Feb 18, 2020, 07:27 PM
c/f
c/f
I actually like to call rate mode: PERFECT TRIM.....

we all go nuts to get a plane trimmed for level flight using trim tabs, but what if we execute a knife edge and release sticks and it maintains the knifeedge as it is trimmed now perfectly for knifeedge flight.
Latest blog entry: EF Outlaw 3+HP.....

Quick Reply