Nov 13, 2019, 09:57 PM
Take the camera lens out is what I keep saying, the flying machine with the camera lens has caused the problem. If you can’t see that you are much more than a blind bat. No camera lens, no people posting their idiotic antics on YouTube and interfering with fullsize aviation. DUH!
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2019, 09:30 AM
Just ban mulitotors and/or fpv, adopt 336, problem solved
Nov 14, 2019, 09:38 AM
2.1.9 Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshadam
Just ban mulitotors and/or fpv, adopt 336, problem solved
The class of banned aircraft would have to be clearly defined and the ban would have to address the problem that they pose, but as far as I can see there hasn't been any official announcement of what that problem is.
Nov 14, 2019, 09:48 AM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
I have decided that ranting may be therapeutic for some people so I am going to bow out of this thread for folks to use for ranting. Enjoy.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Nov 14, 2019, 11:10 AM
Well, by the sounds of it I won’t be coming across the Atlantic for a flying holiday! I thought you had it all sorted and took the faa to court, apparently not? We are going through a similar ruling over here but if we belong to our national association we can fly above 400feet with 7kg or less, I feel that’s reasonably generous. Some of our clubs sites have exemptions to 1500ft as do our gliding events. We still have to pass an exam and register as a ‘drone’ operator and of course, pay for the privilege.

I expect you’re all frustrated at the 400 feet ceiling now comes a time for action by your national association, our thoughts are with you.

Yes, we’ve all been scooped up by the same, ‘call everything a drone’ ruling and for a time I was considering not buying anymore gliders but we will have to wait and see how’s things settle down. I was surprised that the industry didn’t have more say, it’s their livelihoods?
Nov 14, 2019, 11:14 AM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP
Now, Ryan, don't be that way..! You have more to share on this subject than most, and we need your participation in these threads. If we can't, as a modelling community, come up with good, solid solutions, how can we expect the AMA will do it for us, when their track record to this point has been short of the mark.

This looks promising to me: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-...019_technology

Instead of an outright ban on camera-bearing drones (which would be unfair to our guys at my local club, who use them responsibly, and within LOS), let's propose some form of reliable telemetry that can identify errant drones and locate the operator. Maybe that will assuage the Feds enough to let us alone. It would certainly go a long way toward discouraging reckless drone practice.
Last edited by dgliderguy; Nov 20, 2019 at 07:25 AM.
Nov 15, 2019, 05:20 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgliderguy
.... let's propose some form of reliable telemetry that can identify errant drones and locate the operator. Maybe that will assuage the Feds enough to let us alone. It would certainly go a long way toward discouraging wreckless drone practice.
You mean like Remote ID? It has already been required for ALL of us, (fixed wing, rotary, drone, all of it). It was mandated over a year ago. Once they figure out how to actually make that happen we will all be required to operate with big brother watching over us. Don't think that technology will create any wiggle room... everyone will be required to buy in.... And I'm getting angry again, the FAA has absolutely laid waste to our hobby. I've had to back away... I traded one of my favorite airplanes for a Miata... I am genuinely worried about my son being able to enjoy the hobby moving forward... My biggest frustration is when I was trying to raise the alarm years ago when we could have done something everyone called me a conspiracy theorist and told me to shut it.... there is no satisfaction in being right, I wish I were wrong
Nov 15, 2019, 05:59 PM
Where's the lift?
Thread OP
Aaron,

All we gotta do now is limit the remote ID requirement to camera-bearing UAS, and we are free and clear. All UAS (including camera-bearing drones and airplanes) that are operated per the Sec 336 recreational definition, which would include LOS limits and observance of CBO safety guidelines, are exempt from any operating restrictions, just like it was before all this conundrum. I could live with that (and I think, so could the FAA if they thought about it for even half a minute).

This assumes that the Feds are only interested in curbing reckless and unsafe drone operations-- to include things like unauthorized flying over wild fires, large crowds, urban populations, near active airports, etc. Like I said before, we model aviation enthusiasts are not the problem. This is what the ruling needs to recognize.
Last edited by dgliderguy; Nov 18, 2019 at 05:01 AM.
Nov 16, 2019, 03:47 PM
All WAS well until the quads arrived on the scene. RC helicopters fly much the same as quads, yet there was never an issue with helos and the FAA. Many have opinions on what the real issue is, but most of us that fly sailplanes were never hassled by the gov. before the onset of quads.
Ex: Kid with NO interest in aviation wakes up on Christmas morning and finds a quad under the tree by his loving, well meaning parents. What’s the kid supposedly to do? Track down every law concerning flying quads? Not likely.
Most pilots (like myself) on this soaring board were helped along by an experienced pilot and learned the ropes. We understand the boundaries. The kid with a new quad? He understands cameras, computers and nothing of regulations. So now we have the situation that we’re in with no help from the AMA or regulators in Washington.
Perhaps I can be accused of tunnel vision, but I call it how I see it.
Last edited by Elmog; Nov 16, 2019 at 04:28 PM.
Nov 16, 2019, 03:56 PM
2.1.9 Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmog
All WAS well until the quads arrived on the scene.
Thank you, Captain Obvious.
Nov 16, 2019, 04:49 PM
Weysoar wrote, regarding model flying in the UK
Quote:
Well, by the sounds of it I won’t be coming across the Atlantic for a flying holiday! I thought you had it all sorted and took the faa to court, apparently not? We are going through a similar ruling over here but if we belong to our national association we can fly above 400feet with 7kg or less, I feel that’s reasonably generous.
The UK regulations, include an "exemption" allowing BMFA (British Model Flying Association) members to fly above 400ft includes the following restriction. For aircraft under 7 kg, or 15.5 lbs.

Quote:
3 c. The small unmanned aircraft shall not be a rotorcraft with more than one lift generating rotor or propeller
so their allowance to fly above 400ft was written to exclude quadcopters, aka "drones". The small unmanned aircraft to qualify for this exemption, must also must be flown LOS.

here is a link to the full text. A .pdf outlining the exemption for Model Aircraft (they call it Permission) from the UK CAA.

https://rcc.bmfa.uk/wp-content/uploa...-revision1.pdf

interesting reading; would it work here?
Last edited by 320pilot; Nov 16, 2019 at 10:00 PM.
Nov 16, 2019, 05:48 PM
Service Engine Soon

Yes

Yes this would work someone with connections send this link to AMA, FAA and all congress asap maybe someone will hit the easy button and just copy and paste.

Nov 17, 2019, 08:19 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady Baggs
Yes this would work someone with connections send this link to AMA, FAA and all congress asap maybe someone will hit the easy button and just copy and paste.

Not likely here. Our congress won't undo what they did in the past. Sorry, I too am getting more frustrated by the day....
Nov 18, 2019, 03:34 AM
Gots me a good used Hobie Hawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgliderguy
Aaron,

"This assumes that the Feds are only interested in curbing wreckless and unsafe drone operations-- to include things like unauthorized flying over wild fires, large crowds, urban populations, near active airports, etc. Like I said before, we model aviation enthusiasts are not the problem. This is what the ruling needs to recognize."
I'm trying to fly as wreck-lessly as possible, Occasionally I succeed.
Nov 18, 2019, 11:18 AM
Has anyone ever seen someone operate a quad copter over 400 feet? I don't think the regulation is going to affect 99 percent of what they've been doing so far.

Seems to me that operating,beyond line of sight is the biggest issue. Lots of quad copters have GPS, so a bit of software could probably keep them within some reasonable dstance.

Quick Reply