Nov 15, 2019, 02:29 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRuss
That looks great. It almost makes me want to fly R/C again. Does your transmitter have a crystal or is the antenna a piece of nostalgic flair? Either way, I it makes me happy.
Thanks!

The antenna is a piece of nostalgic flair. The Eaglet wouldn't look right without it.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2019, 08:18 AM
Amazing what we will do for nostalgia. When I built my Lil Esquire, I glued the horizontal stabilizer in place, not wanting to have it shift around easily, but I still put the dowels in place that would have been needed to for the original rubber bands and put rubber bands on them. At least it now looks like is it held on with rubber bands.
Nov 15, 2019, 11:22 AM
The runway used to be longer
I got one of those at auction for $40.
I changed out all the servos to save 100g.
Tail dragged her and put skis on, one of my Winter planes.
Still powered with a K&B 20.

Here is a video too.
Nov 15, 2019, 12:42 PM
The Balsa Workbench has an Eaglet 50 short kit.
Nov 16, 2019, 03:47 PM

RE: To Restore or Sell

I remember my Dad building his Eagle 63 many years ago. Man he did a great job. When the Eagle 2 ARF came out that is what I bought. I still have a brand new one just built a year ago and another new in the box plus I donated one to a veteran. Whenever I come across one for sale I buy it.

But recently I just ran across a Eaglet locally For Sale. It came with the flight box and everything but the plane and a spare engine was all that could be saved. I tried putting it up for sale in the FS section but no one has replied. I keep looking at it wondering if I too should restore it and recover it.

Where did you get the Eaglet and Goldberg Decals from ? They look awesome.
Nov 16, 2019, 09:45 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Restore it! Mine had the decals applied.

Today, I enjoyed a trip down memory lane. Both planes were purchased two weeks ago at the AMA Expo and restored.
Nov 16, 2019, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy
Restore it! Mine had the decals applied.

Today, I enjoyed a trip down memory lane. Both planes were purchased two weeks ago at the AMA Expo and restored.
And both look amazing!
Nov 16, 2019, 11:09 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW222
And both look amazing!
Thanks!

I love adopting neglected vintage planes and making them look "kind of new" and airworthy....especially when the price is right!
Nov 18, 2019, 07:05 AM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
I remember back in the day I had three of them at one point. People would just give them to me after they had put some miles on them. I'd recover/restore and then either fly or sell them.

One day I was looking at the plans and got an idea. I had this cute little Cox .010 TD that I wanted to fly on something. So after taking some measurements and final weight guesses, I scaled the Eaglet down exactly 50% for two channels. It turned out cute as all get out. I even used the box color scheme. Using stick style construction for the fuse and a bamboo skewer for the leading edge, it came out very light. Radio gear was Ace micro servos, 50mah nicad and receiver without the case. That was "micro gear" back in the early '90's. It flew really well on the little .010 but if it was breezy it could be a challenge and I was young and wanted more. So I upped the engine to a Cox .020 TD. That really woke it up. After a gallon of fuel, on .010 and .020s that was A LOT of flights, it was getting a bit tatty so I retired it and moved on. Really wish I had pictures of it.

Mike
Nov 22, 2019, 03:34 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Thread OP
Sounds like fun!

I'd love to scale the Eaglet down and power it with a Cox. 020 TD w/ throttle sleeve.
Nov 23, 2019, 03:43 AM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy
Sounds like fun!

I'd love to scale the Eaglet down and power it with a Cox. 020 TD w/ throttle sleeve.
TD's are kinda costly these days but if it flew well on a TD .010 then a PeeWee .020 would also work.

I dont remember the exact wood thickness I used but I do remember everything was scaled down exactly 50%. The aft fuse and tail feathers were stick construction and that the fire wall and landing gear bulkheads were thin ply, probably 1/16", with landing gear wires lashed with thread and glue old style. I might have used 1/32" ply fuse side doublers in the front of the fuse but just don't recall for sure. Basically, if I did it again I would just use what looks right. Like a slightly beefed up rubberband plane construction. Also, I didn't use windows, just used lt blue trim sheets to represent them, and just boxed the fuse using the plan outline, then sheeted the top and bottom of the box. On the front fuse though. The aft fuse was pen stick sides and solid balsa bulkheads. I think I used solid sm dia wire pushrods. What ever I did it was able to handle Econokote iron on covering and was cute as all get out.

I don't have any small TD's available right now but a 36" or so .049 size would be fun as well.

Good luck,
Mike

EDIT: Looks like great minds think alike. Willie Niles is kitting a 250 size Eaglet or .020 power! His kit is a little bigger at 29" so .010 is probably out but well within the spec for an .020. May just pick one up for myself.
Last edited by CryHavoc; Nov 25, 2019 at 07:49 PM.
Dec 28, 2019, 01:41 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mike
I got one of those at auction for $40...
Tail dragged her...
Mad_Mike, can you describe what you did to make her a tail dragger? Where did you place the gear? I have one of these lined up for my hangar and I may do that as she needs the gear done. Interested in the gear dimensions and prop size too.

Thanks!
Dec 28, 2019, 01:55 PM
A man with a plan

eaglet decals

David Beazley emailed me these. I also have them available for download on my website.
Dec 28, 2019, 01:59 PM
A man with a plan
Here's another old piece of Eaglet lore that somebody sent me.
Dec 28, 2019, 02:28 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
Balsaworkbench, believe it or not I have been wanting to get a low-winger in my hangar. I'll have a look at this closer, the idea of bashing the Eaglet as a low-winger is appealing. Thanks!

Quick Reply