Nov 11, 2019, 09:01 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

90 P-38 electric conversion

Pick this up at a swap meet. The manual says its set up for (2) .46 nitro engines.

I am wanting to do an electric conversion.

Just wondering where to starts. I have a turnigy .46 brushless motor with a 80 amp esc. Would this set up times two be a good match? Im thinking of running (2) 4s batteries.

This is a new one for me so any advice would be great.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2019, 09:02 PM
Thread OP
Manual pic
Nov 11, 2019, 11:42 PM
There are a few large P-38 threads in the Giant Electric models forum https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sear...ery=%22p-38%22

Where it starts is with the props and your power needs. At around 12lb and thus around 1200W total or 600W/side, a twin 4s setup from a clean sheet would be feasible. However, if you are thinking existing motors and batteries, you need to consider prop diameter constraints and the Kv of your existing motor.

For example, to use around 600W on 4S, the G46-670 needs to run a 12x10 prop. An 11" 3 blade is not really a better option because you'd need pitch above 10" which pushes you into expensive varioprops . The lower Kv variants of the G-46 are probably not viable options on 4S.

So step 1, get out a ruler and check the clearance prop centre to the ground and prop centre to the nose and figuren out your maximum feasible prop diameter.
Nov 12, 2019, 06:29 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Nick
That model is the Fly -Fly Brand copy of CMP version.
If you find the threads on ether the CMP or FLY FLY , you should also get info.
I think both were sold by Nitro RC at one time.
Its a nice model , fly fly copied CMP, less quality in the fiberglass ( softer process ) so dont let it sit in the sun when its not flying.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8PFf70go6NnQkF
Last edited by Ldm; Nov 12, 2019 at 06:36 AM.
Nov 12, 2019, 09:18 AM
Thread OP
i basically swapped a 40$ trainer for it, so im happy.

It's not in amazing condition. I think i will rehinge all the control surfaces as some don't sit flush. I plan on buying all new motors and stuff, so that should make it easier to power. I will measure prop clearance this week
Nov 12, 2019, 02:42 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Good deal , they went for about $379 new !!
Nov 18, 2019, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikbrewer
Pick this up at a swap meet. The manual says its set up for (2) .46 nitro engines.

I am wanting to do an electric conversion.

Just wondering where to starts. I have a turnigy .46 brushless motor with a 80 amp esc. Would this set up times two be a good match? Im thinking of running (2) 4s batteries.

This is a new one for me so any advice would be great.
That 46 electric motor is good for around 600 Watts while swinging a 13 inch diameter propeller. That is in the neighborhood of a glow 40 sized engine. But the glow engine will turn a smaller propeller at a higher RPM.

Check out those electric model calculators for a bit of help. The one I use is www.motocalc.com, free for 30 days, then it's $39 for a life time license. I use mine a lot.

Here is a PDF file I put together several years ago that compiled many magazine test results on the glow and gasoline engines, versus the electric motors.
Nov 20, 2019, 09:39 AM
3d and EDF, some scale
Had one years ago set up with a pair of Eflite 60's and I think 14x7 3 blades if I remember correctly. It flew well with great power. Used a pair of 6s 4000's and Eflite 60-120 retracts. Also it is not fiberglass like others have mentioned, it is all wood construction with a plastic canopy . I traded the airframe to a friend and he set it all up, I test flew it and then it fell from his ceiling where he promptly destroyed it :/
Dec 29, 2019, 05:31 PM
Stay Thirsty My Friends
That same ARF was sold by Nitroplanes about 15 years ago. I have one that flies on two Hacker A50-14S motors with one 6 cell 5000mAh pack per side. The plane was sold with fixed gear, but after a lot of mods mine has Spring Air retracts. It's a very nice flier.

Rick

Quick Reply