Nov 11, 2019, 03:42 PM
Feeling lucky .... Punk
Thread OP
Discussion

Aviation fuel

I've had nitro boats before, and my first gasser is on the way.
Any of you gas guys run aviation fuel ? I have access to 110 low lead, plan to run it with Amsoil Dominator oil.
Would this be ok to break it in with, or would it best best to start with pump gas ?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2019, 09:29 AM

Gas Fuel

Hi Joel63, I started out using aviation fuel in my gas boat because I thought that it was the only fuel I could get that did not contain alcohol. Now you can get non alcohol fuel at a lot of gas stations called recreation fuel. It may cost about $1.00 more per gallon than pump fuel but, you don't use enough in a boat to noticed the difference and cheaper than aviation fuel. I bought a new lawn mower last year and the manufacturer recommends recreation fuel. I was told that non alcoholic is recommended in all small gas motors. Alcohol has a tendency to break down the o-rings, seals and diaphragms in the small engines . Thank you, Gary
Nov 12, 2019, 11:58 AM
I run 100LL from the local airport, 110LL is avail here in NorCal, but I have only seen it at kart racing tracks and may contain ethanol. Aviation gas is supposed to NOT contain ethanol and that is why I use it. I'm not a fan of Dominator Oil, I think it is a little thin. Most racing boaters use 8 to 10 oz oil per gallon. I like Motul cause my adult son is a karter. Karters are tremendously hard on their engines and Motul is held in high regard. White gas like Colemans latern fuel runs well and is easy on the rubber parts. Some like it cause it smells less than reg pump gas.
Nov 12, 2019, 05:04 PM
Feeling lucky .... Punk
Thread OP
Thanks guys, a good friend of mine is a Ag pilot and manager of the little airport in the town I grew up in, so probably would only charge me a few beers for a can of fuel.
Any experience with the Lucas racing 2 cycle oil ? I think the auto parts store close to me sells it.
Nov 12, 2019, 11:04 PM
Lucas is probably fine, they all seem to work, synthetics burn cleaner but not a big deal. Ask 12 people what oil they use and you'll get12 different answets.
Nov 12, 2019, 11:47 PM
Feeling lucky .... Punk
Thread OP
Right on, that's what I kinda figured, I'm sure they all have their snake oil component LoL
Nov 14, 2019, 09:40 PM
Feeling lucky .... Punk
Thread OP

Itís here !

Big bitch 😁
Nov 21, 2019, 07:05 PM
RC boat Rock Star
I've been using Coleman camp stove fuel but yes, you can use Av Gas. Check your area for Rec Gas, a lot of stations are selling it now as BP carries it at a lot of theirs.
Lucas 2-stroke mix is fine, make sure it's the synthetic as that's what I'm using now.
I had to find something else after using Honda HP-2 for years as they're phasing it out.

Regular pump gas isn't good as it can ruin the diaphragms in the carb. I used to go through a LOT of them before making the switch, I don't think that I've had to replace one since.
Nov 21, 2019, 08:57 PM
Feeling lucky .... Punk
Thread OP
I've seen gas at a Maverick called clear gas I think, no ethanol 91 octane, must be the same as what y'all are calling recreation gas. The boat ran great on the aviation fuel, I'll probably stick with that as long as I have access to it, the smell when burning reminds me of my drag racing days 😎
Nov 21, 2019, 09:32 PM
Feeling lucky .... Punk
Thread OP
So on the second tank of fuel gradually leaned her out, then made about a dozen long WOT runs.
Looks a tad lean ?
What say the hive ?
Last edited by joel63; Nov 21, 2019 at 09:38 PM.
Nov 21, 2019, 10:52 PM
RC boat Rock Star
That looks OK.
For that Drag strip smell I still have some nitro stashed away.
The many reasons why I went to Coleman fuel is no gas odor, no lead or other additives, a shelf life of years instead of days, not going through diaphragms among others. The downsides are the cost and because it burns so clean it's hard to get a good plug read on it.
Nov 21, 2019, 11:36 PM
Feeling lucky .... Punk
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Olson
That looks OK.
For that Drag strip smell I still have some nitro stashed away.
The many reasons why I went to Coleman fuel is no gas odor, no lead or other additives, a shelf life of years instead of days, not going through diaphragms among others. The downsides are the cost and because it burns so clean it's hard to get a good plug read on it.
Cool, thanks Ron. The engine is no where near fully broke in, and is running why better now after adjusting the low and high end needles. Only other reason I think the high end may be a bit lean is after a long full throttle pass, if I come in close and let of quick, it will die abruptly. If I slow to three quarters or half throttle for a bit before going to idle it will keep running at idle.
Nov 22, 2019, 09:29 AM
RC boat Rock Star
The engines today don't need much in the way of break-in time, I've had them done in 1-1/2 tanks of fuel. I set my carbs at 2 turns out on the low-speed needle and 1 out on the high.
That's what I like with gas over nitro, you're not constantly chasing needle settings.
Nov 22, 2019, 11:09 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel63
I've had nitro boats before, and my first gasser is on the way.
Any of you gas guys run aviation fuel ? I have access to 110 low lead, plan to run it with Amsoil Dominator oil.
Would this be ok to break it in with, or would it best best to start with pump gas ?
I was surfing the threads and this one caught my eye-as a retired aircraft mechanic and director of maintenance, I need to share with you the facts that 100 low lead has WAY MORE lead in it then pump gas. Its called low lead because it has less lead then then 115/145 (typically used in round motors). In fact a procedure done during a 100hr maintenance check is to clean the plugs by vibro-picking the lead out of them. and the lead does pile up from just one engine (6cyl/12 plugs) 100LL will certainly prevent pre-ingnition /detonation BUT might/probably cause cause lead fouling- and with only one cylinder-that will not get you to the finish line!

I love the smell of 100LL!
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Nov 22, 2019, 10:33 PM
Feeling lucky .... Punk
Thread OP
Cool info Bob, when I worked for my crop duster buddies dad back in the late 70's they were running 1820 radials. I burnt a lot of 100/130 for free in my Camaro
With that info I will consider the Coleman fuel and ethanol free 91 octane. I've only got about 1 gal. Of the 100LL left.

Quick Reply