Nov 11, 2019, 11:51 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

wild idea! worldwide "virtual" f3RES event ?

Recently i took part in a dog sport event that happens semi simultaneously all around the world. in this event people all around the world gather in their locals clubs to play rounds of disc dog and compete against others clubs in other countries. I was not very convinced about this virtual like competition, but it ended up being incredibly fun. so why not do something similar with gliders, and f3res seems perfect for this.

this type of global virtual event it is a lot of fun with many advantages

it is just an excuse to fly and have fun, it promotes the grow of locals clubs. it particularly good for places were only few people practice the hobby. also it is very friendly for beginners, or people who are not very competitive (that would be me with my old 2m Spirit).

adapting the description of the dog event it would sound like this:

"f3RES Clubs from around the world get together to play in their hometowns once a week for 2 weeks. In each League, every pilot is ranked against all other pilots in the League, all around the world. The top pilots score points for their local Club. The Club with the most points, wins." or somethign alone those lines more of the dog event at http://tossandfetch.com/

Of course it would not be a "fair competition" because of the different weather condition in each place, but some how that is not the point and it still works great in the dog competition. also there is a handicap rule that is aimed to level the plane field a little.

I am beginner and don't know how would it look in the case of F3res or if it is viable at all, but I though it would be worth mention, and maybe it could become a thing.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2019, 11:47 AM
Sounds like a nice idea.

We would make a club scorelist wich is related tot temperature in C.
In the world we have a differerence, so in winter we have almost no thermals in The Netherlands (temperature 4C) but for example in Florida could be a hole other story.
So temperature could be a dividing factor.

Registration is no problem, we could do this in a website.

Greetings,
Willem
Nov 12, 2019, 12:29 PM
First concept:

Competitor is flying 5 rounds (no drop).
Landing score is German style.
RoundPoints=score/highest C of all Competitors - C.

Other options or formules are welcome.

Example:
Flying 4min30sec with landing on goal=
270x2+100= 640 points
Temp= 4C
Highest Temp of competitors 20C
640/(20-4)=40 points

The same competitor whom is flying with 20C get 640/20=32 points

Landing points:
Scores are computed at a rate of 1 point per 0.2 meter for the first two meters. if the nose of the plane was between 0.8 and 0.6 meters away from the spot the score would be 100 ( (0.8-0.2)/0.2) = 97 points.
After two meters the score is 1 point/mtr.
Last edited by WillemV; Nov 12, 2019 at 01:09 PM.
Nov 12, 2019, 06:58 PM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
I would participate.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Nov 12, 2019, 11:18 PM
I am in!

We do postal contests out here in the Four Corners States: all fly on the same day, and email or post scores on line. The next one will be New Year's Day.

F3K flyers do this all winter, with a new task each month, October through March, I believe.

Greg
Nov 13, 2019, 04:19 AM
Yeah, we know the F3K winterpostal.
Would be nice tot have a same sort of competition.
The winterweather is very unpredictible here. To plan a game is therefor not easy.

Greg, Ryan, in what conditions do you guys fly?
Nov 13, 2019, 07:48 AM
I fly in all kinds of conditions. In the summer it is hot maybe 30-33 C. In the winter it can be cold maybe a few degrees C to -8 or -10 or so C

Ryan
Nov 13, 2019, 11:52 AM
Here in the American South West, we fly if the wind is "reasonable". And, sometimes, when it is not.

Sunny days vastly outnumber overcast days for us. Winter can be cold, but if you stay in the sun, it is usually OK. Wind can happen, and either rain or snow. Snow generally melts within three days.

Terrain elevation is over 6,000 feet here (about 2,000 meters, more or less), so summer temperatures stay mild.

Greg
Nov 13, 2019, 11:55 AM
After posting that I would do a F3RES postal I remembered this morning that I don't actually have a legal F3RES plane. So I would need to rectify that before participating in a F3RES postal. But I am definitely interested and would work to get a legal F3RES plane going.

Ryan
Nov 13, 2019, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
After posting that I would do a F3RES postal I remembered this morning that I don't actually have a legal F3RES plane. So I would need to rectify that before participating in a F3RES postal. But I am definitely interested and would work to get a legal F3RES plane going.

Ryan
You need to get on with that anyway!

Following and interested. I participated in the RCGroups New Years Day Postal this year.
Nov 13, 2019, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashbound
You need to get on with that anyway!
Sure, but I have a few higher priority projects though. I tried to get 2 fuselages done for the Nats. Unfortunately in trying to get 2 done I ended up getting the F3RES done in the most crappy way possible and the electric one not done at all. I vowed to finish at least the electric one before starting other projects. I completed the electric fuselage last week. Now I probably need to move to some other projects but I will try to get some traction on a F3RES legal fuselage too.

Ryan
Nov 13, 2019, 03:41 PM
I saw that ^ picture. Nice looking Tragi! I got my Tragi (with electric fuse I bought from Curtis Suter) in the air just a week ago and barely had time for a few trim flights but my initial impression is "Wow!"

Get on with that F3-RES .
Nov 13, 2019, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashbound
Get on with that F3-RES .
I have started on it. I'll try to get back to working on something tonight. The more I get done the more I can get done.

Ryan
Nov 14, 2019, 03:50 AM
Small factor change in formule ( temperaturen is measured at noon).

Points= score / Htemp - (Htemp - temp)

So as the first example

640 / 20 - (20 - 20) = 32
640 / 20 - (20 - 16) = 40
640 / 20 - (20 - -4) = 160

Greetings
Willem
Nov 14, 2019, 05:31 AM
The Formule is to complicated.

I suggest an other formule:

The temperature, measured at 12u, will be multiplied with 5 (suggestions are welcome) and deducted from flightscore.

Score = score - (temp x 5)
Last edited by WillemV; Nov 14, 2019 at 06:00 AM.

Quick Reply