Mar 10, 2005, 10:05 PM
Thread OP

What to buy, 1 or 2 wing 3D

Hello,
Just getting started in foamy 3D planes. Will fly outdoors mainly but may use indoors at times.
1. What plane and setup do you recommend?
2. Biplane or not?
3. Outrunner motor or gear box?

I fly nitro planes, electric Zagi, electric Corona heli. I have a programmable radio (Fut super7)

Thanks
Dave
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2005, 11:10 PM
Won't recomend a particular plane, but here's my 2cents....

If you plan to fly more indoor stay in the smaller, lighter wingloading range. Shockflyer sized planes kept to the 6-8oz range are lighter on the wings and easier to handle in small gyms....

If you plan to fly outdoors more, larger foamies in the 36" span range and weights of around 12-16oz's tend to be a bit stronger, and usually handle wind better than smaller birds...

Outrunner vs Geared- Kinda like Ford vs Chevy... Outrunners are better if you fly at night and have gripy neighbors. They also tend to have less breakable parts...Geared setups tend to be a bit more efficient and lighter, but they are noisier.

Biplane vs Monoplane- I'm a biplane fanatic, but I personally think a monoplane tends to be a better first 3d'r. Less to set up (only 1 set of ailerons) Less to break (1 wing) and there are more choices out there...

Good luck dude!!!!
Mar 10, 2005, 11:37 PM
3d and other
Dave--

I've tried a few 3d electrics...and I know what rocks and why.

Two planes I recommend: Ikarus Shockflyer and the Tensor.
The tensor is a biplane and somewhat easier to build, I suggest getting it. It flys slower and is a bit less tedious to build.

Setup:
Motor:OUTRUNNER (More efficienct, lighter, more quiet!) Use the axi 2208/34, you wont be disappointed.
speed control: jeti 8 amp brushless, use 'soft cut off' to indicate low battery
Servos: 1 cirrus 4.4 gram servo each for rudder and elevator, 1 hitec HS-55 for aileron.
reciever: cirrus mrx-4 (see http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/443534.asp)
battery: 3 cell lipo between 500-800 maH. must have atleast 5 amp continous discharge, but shouldnt weigh more than 2 ounces. a good one for me has been wattage 720 mah 3 cell, and also the tanic taps 520 mah 3 cell. the wattage has more run time but actually weighs the same.
prop: apc 10x4.7 or 10x3.8. wide prop with low pitch equals great hovering.

Notes: build the plane as light as possible, using epoxy very sparingly. dont worry about durability, if you crash any good 3d electric bad, it should be damaged bad! usually the engine will rip off or your wing will crack, all you need to do is expoxy things back (don't use too much!) fixing them is usually possible, less with the ikarus than the tensor (another reason why i recommend the tensor.) my point: don't try to make your plane strong as a tank, or it will fly like one. It is ideal that your plane weighs less than 10 oz with this setup I've suggested. You want it to hover at half throttle.

Use the cirrus 4.4 servos, its worth the extra money per each. or use some other reliable teenie tiny servos...I promise they will have enough power and speed for this application.

note on lipos with this setup: you should never be fully throttling for longer than 5 second bursts. the idea is to have a smaller, lighter battery and not overdraw it by overthrottling. if you have programmable transmitter, set the range such that you never exceed 5 amps (you shouldnt need to with the axi 2208/34 motor, it will have plenty of thrust at 4 amps.) just know your lipos and that your motor draw isnt too much for them, and you're good.

Last note: if you crash your tensor and want another, you can scrap the carbon fiber and buy some depron and make another, like I did. I've got some superior plans to the tensor, if you ever want them (the plane I designed is lighter and a bit bigger.) send me a message or I'll give you my email or something. anyone else interested let me know, the plans are very well done and the slots/notches are right on point and very strong. heres some pics of it, god it flys awesome:
Last edited by kevbeer; Mar 10, 2005 at 11:47 PM.
Mar 11, 2005, 10:13 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for info.
Anyone else have any input.
What about going to the 400 class of plane like the new mini funtana?
How much room do I need outdoors for this class. Cool looking plane.
What about getting a Fancy Foam model outfit?
Thanks
Dave
Mar 11, 2005, 10:40 AM
Dave, I would highly suggest the foamy option over the Mini Funtana. With the foamy option, you have a much lower $ option to replace when you dork it. The higher wingloading of the Mini Funtana also would make it not quite as docile as a 3D trainer...

Best Regards
Mar 11, 2005, 11:08 AM
Have you looked at the SX-3? I really like it, it is a mono wing made out of EPP.
Heres the link:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&highlight=SX3
Keep'em Flying,
Nick
Mar 11, 2005, 11:14 AM
Here's my favorite for outdoors http://e-foamies.com/3D/r3d.asp
Very durable and a great flyer.
Mar 11, 2005, 12:27 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Hello, I got started in foamys with the 36" Extra 300 from www.foamyfactory.com. Great first foamy, plans only though. If you want to get a kit with all of your electronics in one box, then I would suggest www.fancyfoam.com Get the performance package. That equipment can be used on any foamy 12-16 onces. Good luck.

Ben
Mar 11, 2005, 11:09 PM
Why one or two wings when you can have three...
Mar 11, 2005, 11:23 PM
here's a pic
Mar 11, 2005, 11:49 PM
Woodsy
It's all a mater of opinion realy, indoor stick to about 28" span out door about 40" span.

www.3dfoamy.com has some great outdoor planes and is about to release indoor ones.
Mar 14, 2005, 06:58 AM
Thread OP
Thanks all for the input for someone just starting 3D flying,
Hard to choose what will work best for me.

I'am leaning toward an outrunner motor. Does this limit me to 6-10oz range planes? What are the disadvantages to outrunner motors?

I noticed the 36" wing planes for outdoor use seem all to have geared systems.
Being new at this, should I just go with 36" wing with Himax motor/gear setup?

I want both indoor and outdoor use (Gym). More outdoor than indoor.

Also don't want to be repairing all the time. Is it worth going to the EPP type of plane for indoor and outdoor use. What are the disadvantages to EPP planes?

I like the shock flyer plane, but not sure about ease of repair and would like to use it outdoors mainly. Not sure how it will handle the wind.

The Tensor bi-wing looks like a good choice but I don't like it's looks (not as nice looking as say the shock flyer). Is it easy to repair? Will it serve the purpose of both indoor and mainly outdoor flying? I like the outrunner motor recommended.

Thanks
Dave
Mar 14, 2005, 09:03 AM
(aka Cliff Lawson)
I've had two mono (shockie, Blade) and two bipe (Blitz, Sirroco) and (personally) I think I prefer bipe 3D because the planes knife-edge easier than the monos (probably cos the inter wing struts act as mini "wings" when at 90 deg?)

I've also used both in-runner (Feigao) and out-runner (AXI, PJS, CD-roms). There's not a lot in it really as long as you match the power system to the weight of the plane. There's motors (in and out) to fit every conceivable weight range from about 4oz to 400oz - again it's just a case of picking the right motor for the job.

For 6-8oz planes good motors are Feigao (with IPS gears), AXI 2204/54, AXI2208/34, PJS300, various CD-ROM based ones. But if you wanted to venture into 10-15oz territory then it just means stepping up to 2212's or PJS500 etc., beyonethat it'd be AXI 28xx motors and so on. Best way to get the right motor is to seach here for the name of the plane yo ulike and find what successful power plants others are using on the same plane.

Part of it also comes down to matching the right prop pitch and diameter and the right size/capacity LiPo cells. Again, look for what works for others as the easy way in.

BTW EPP planes are good for starting out cos they don't break when you crash (unless you do it BIG TIME!)

Cliff
Mar 14, 2005, 03:15 PM
Have a look at Zoom Bipe 3D - made of EPP. Iīm waiting for mine now......Letīs see how unbreakable it is...

BR, Peter

Quick Reply