Nov 10, 2019, 08:38 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

New to FPV. Where to start?

I just watched a P38 giant plane race where they were using goggles and now I'm hooked. Which goggles have the best image quality and signal strength w/o spending a fortune? I only need under 2km-ish range, but want maximum quality and strength. Also what camera(s) is recommended and anything else I would need to get started?
Are the FPV set ups independent from the plane's power supply and control systems? I'm going for simplicity and ease of set up and use.

Update: Goggles narrowed down to the Skyzone O2X. Good value? Anything better for a similar price? 03O have much better image?
Last edited by Despotes; Nov 10, 2019 at 09:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2019, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Are the FPV set ups independent from the plane's power supply and control systems?
At it's most basic level you simply run your airplane bone-stock and connect a little FPV "AIO camera", a camera that has both a transmitter and a camera to 5v (usually a servo lead to the receiver). You use some sticky foam or something to hold the camera on and that's it, you are done.

At more complex levels the camera is connected to a flight controller, the video transmitter is separate from the camera, the servos are routed to a flight controller board first then they go to a non-standard receiver, usually one that works off PPM or SBUS. This is 1) to ensure that the airplane doesn't destroy itself if you lose link, 2) so you have a OSD display of what is going on, 3) so you can fly your airplane from a long distance away. You probably don't need all this stuff to start out so I guess just a Caddx Beetle (or equivalent), a servo wire and some sticky foam to start off.

I personally started on Dominator V1 and now use Fatshark Attitude v4 but I have heard good things about Skyzone.
Nov 13, 2019, 11:40 AM
Maximum quality requires that you buy a decent set of goggles. That is where you should put your money. There are plenty of decent cameras and VTX's for not much money.
Nov 14, 2019, 11:49 AM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
Give us your maximum FPV budget, the maximum distance you want to fly and the weight your craft can comfortably carry without impacting flight characteristics too much. then we can tell you what's best in that range.

HD FPV will be ~nearly 1k$. basic low range, but still flyable, fpv can be had for ~$65.
Last edited by xanuser; Nov 14, 2019 at 12:21 PM.
Nov 14, 2019, 12:18 PM
Retired US Navy
Not knowing what you are flying I can only hope that my recommendations are okay. Assuming airplane I can tell you there are a few things to think about and cost is the last one.

First how much room do you have and assuming you want head tracking that may take up more room since you'll need a servo too.

Second is quality of the video and it's size in FOV. I really like the Micro Eagle. First it's realitivly small, has a good lens, have a lot of adjustable parameters including FOV or angle of view. You can adjust it from wide angle to narrow and narrow is great for airplanes especially if you have pan HT. Last it's fairly inexpensive.

To use this you'll need a video transmitter and antennae. 200mw is about the minimum on an airplane. Really no more than 600mw. Most mine are 200mw. The antennae should be a right hand circular polarized type, or left hand if that's what you put on your goggles. They have to match. There are a lot of really good ones and more expensive is not always better.

Last is getting a system you can wire up and power in a simple way. Most cameras run on 5v. VTX's can be anything from 3v to very high. Many VTX's have a 5v output to power the camera if you power the VTX with a high voltage. Last thing is wiring. There are just too many different sized connectors and 3,4,5, and more pins on the various sizes. Expect to have to do some soldering to get it wired up.

So what does all this mean? At the cheapest is a $10 all in one (AIO). They haver the camera, VTX and antennae all in one cheap unit that works amazingly well. Get one with a circular polarized antennae, not a dipole. You can power these off a Y to any servo or plug it into a channel on the receiver.

Much better is the Micro Eagle/ VTX/ antennae but you have to know what you're doing to make sure things work together.

Best would be a higher grade camera like a Runcam and higher grade VTX, but I can tell you the micro above is a really good system.

Here are some pics of different setups from a AIO to a Runcam in a T-28. The Tigercat has a full size camera (not as big as a Runcam) on a pan servo. My newer Tigercat has the same set up but wit a Micro Eagle. The one has a Nano in a pilots head on a pan servo and a separate VTX to the side. The Spitfire also has a Micro Eagle on a pan servo and separate VTX. The Apprentice has a Nano and separate VTX. That setup is what we use for FPV combat, we have streamers and do combat to cut the streamers. We built war birds to do this but the "competition" never completed his combat plane, but the Spitfire is an awesome set up.

I am not touching goggles as there are just too many choices and there are a few new choices being released soon.

Quick Reply