This thread is privately moderated by plane_tech, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 10, 2019, 12:01 AM
399' and holding
Thread OP
Build Log

Red Merle VIII / SynerJ

Thought I would start to document my build progress of my version of Curtis Suter's Red Merle VIII / SynerJ 4m F5J/ ALES glider.
Progress may be slow at times.

I am using Foamular 250 foam as that is what is locally and readily available.
Layup will be similiar to what has been discussed on the Curtis's main thread found here.
I will be using the Carboline available thru Hyper Flight for the skins. Specifically I will be using the Carboline SC59/3/45. I may use the SC39/2/45 for the outer panels, however I have not fully committed that. I would prefer the wings to be a little more forgiving over lighter weight.

This post will be updated as progress continues.

11/10/19 - Added initial core weight chart
Last edited by plane_tech; Nov 10, 2019 at 02:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2019, 10:41 AM
Dark Side of the Red Merle
Looking great!
Thanks for the Core weight chart.
"subscribed"
Curtis
Nov 10, 2019, 01:28 PM
Everythingĺs A Compromise
Subscribed
Nov 12, 2019, 10:19 PM
399' and holding
Thread OP
Got the motor in from Neu for my build.
1102/3.5Y/ P22 G.B.
A whole 80g.
That should do nicely
Nov 12, 2019, 10:52 PM
I have the same in my Vixen 2. Love it.

BATTERY
ESC
PROP

Great combo up to ~1700 gram model. (I haven't flown it above that)
I'd buy another one if it weren't for the AUD/USD exchange rate, freight and GST into Australia.
Motor and gearbox combo is approx AUD$500
D.
Nov 12, 2019, 11:58 PM
399' and holding
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin
I have the same in my Vixen 2. Love it.

BATTERY
ESC
PROP

Great combo up to ~1700 gram model. (I haven't flown it above that)
I'd buy another one if it weren't for the AUD/USD exchange rate, freight and GST into Australia.
Motor and gearbox combo is approx AUD$500
D.
Larry - Thanks for your setup. I will be looking into that. Hopefully I can make it under the 1700 grams
Nov 13, 2019, 12:56 AM
I should add that I swapped the XT30 plugs on the batteries to XT60s.
And if you use the YEP ESC, please do yourself a favor and get the programming card.
YEP tip: leave the cell count as auto-detect, do NOT set it to 4S. (or 5S etc)
Other than that, it's been rock solid.
Last edited by Larrikin; Nov 13, 2019 at 01:03 AM.
Nov 21, 2019, 03:31 PM
399' and holding
Thread OP
Reposted from Curtis's thread:
While i'm waiting for more supplies to be delivered, I started to research the need for a post curing solution. Based on the manufacturer's TDS and the research done and documented by wyowindworks, I decided to build an insulated box for post curing parts.

End result ended up being 72" L x 16" W x 16" H.
Next up I will be adding several trays that can hold a wing panel each so I can have multiple parts in the "oven" at once.

As for the heat source- after spending way to much time looking for surplus heat blankets and controllers I ended up with just using incandescent light bulbs. Thankfully the previous owner of my house left half a lifetime supply of these.
In testing I found a single 60w bulb for over an hour with only a 5 degree increase in temp to 72*. A single 100w bulb managed to get up to 84*. Last nights test was (2) 100w bulbs. With y very sketchy test setup I managed to get the temp to 130*+ when the clamp holding the one lamp failed and I called the test a success.
I did note a temp differential between one end and the other as I had (2) temp. probes measuring at opposite ends of the box. To correct this I am going to add a small 120mm computer fan to help circulation and hopefully see a more even temperature across the length of the box.

The new temp controller should be here in a couple days. I am also working on some modifications to the box to make it a more stable, even temp.
Nov 21, 2019, 03:42 PM
399' and holding
Thread OP
I am planning on doing a “test” build. As a way of verifying my thought process and making sure I have the steps for the layup in the right order, I am building a sport plane.
This should give me the chance to test everything while not risking the high cost of a full carbon layup. As an added caveat I am trying to do this with only stuff I already have on hand, aside from the resin.

I am still comparing / debating between the higher end ProSet 125 or MGS 285 Vs. U.S. Composites 635 or Adtech 820
Dec 11, 2019, 11:05 PM
Cores look very good! Great to see your progress.

JeffinSpringOH
Mar 07, 2020, 10:47 PM
399' and holding
Thread OP
Been slacking off the updates with this, but the progress has been slow.
Finally have almost every major item to finish the build aside from the servos, spinner, prop blades, esc.

Cores have been prepped and joined where needed, servo wire channels cut, weblets installed, sub ribs positioned and temp placed into their respective holes in the outer panels. Center panels are in work at the moment.

Carboweave is here and cut to size. As is the uni and kevlar for the LE.

In the downtime waiting on supplies, I tried out a couple techniques for cutting the joiner sleeve holes as well as finishing techniques.
For the hole, a scrap piece of the appropriate sized brass tube is chucked up in a cordless drill after the outside is polished with some scotchbrite and the inside edge of the protuding end is filed down to a knife edge. I then stack 2 ribs and sub ribs to ensure I hold proper alignment and slowly push the tube in while spinning the drill at a low to med speed. Seems to work perfectly.

For the finish, I am using Curtis' recommendation with the Varathane water based exterior spar urethane as the first coat on the mylar, then airbrushing the paint scheme. Seems to work quite well. Very happy with the finish on the test pieces.

Also picked up the Neu 1102/3.5y P22 and corresponding PNC mount. Motor / gearbox / firewall combo is only 84.3g
Last edited by plane_tech; Mar 07, 2020 at 11:05 PM.
Mar 14, 2020, 12:52 AM
399' and holding
Thread OP

Equipment progress...

Boring yet neccessary progress...
Pulled out the vacuum pump and checked it out for operation and leaks.

Currently holding at 30 inHg or approx 14.75 psi. I'll check the gauge in the morning and see how well it can hold vacuum for an extended time. Hopefully there will minor to no loss.
However, this pump will auto cycle if there is more that a couple in.Hg lost.

Also had time to wire up the Ink ITC-1000F temp sensor/ monitor for the hotbox .
Not bad for $15 on amazon...
Still needs a proper enclosure, but for testing this worked.
Mar 14, 2020, 07:23 AM
Looking great, really great! I found with painting that it has to be backed up with white or the colors don't pop.

Curtis
Mar 14, 2020, 08:34 AM
399' and holding
Thread OP
Thanks Curtis. I experimented with a pearl white to see if thathat would give it anything extra, and found it had the opposite effect. Definitely needs white behind the colors.
Mar 14, 2020, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech
Thanks Curtis. I experimented with a pearl white to see if thathat would give it anything extra, and found it had the opposite effect. Definitely needs white behind the colors.
Interesting, I wouldn't have expected that.

Quick Reply