Nov 11, 2019, 08:06 AM
Retired CAD guy
I once flipped my Polaris in a Columbia river slough near Cathlamet.
I was totally surprised that the motor would work underwater.
Great for retrieval tho ;>}

Please pardon my nostalgic revisit of the NW ...

Vantage ! I've been there !
Stopped by the Rock shop for a look see and some petrified wood samples.

A dramatic Columbia River crossing on I90.

South of I90 doesn't leave too many choices ;>}

Nice place.
Last edited by birdofplay; Nov 11, 2019 at 08:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2019, 08:05 PM
Thread OP
Stopped work early today and went back to work on the spars. After 10 hours I've got everything ready for printing. I'm getting faster at this fiddly stuff, and Fusion 360 seems to be working far more reliably than in the past. It's either that, or I've subconsciously figured out how to make it not crash by trial and error. This being a relatively simple design compared to my past work probably helps too.

I think I hear the UPS guy as well, so I'm gonna go grab my filament and get it in the drier in preparation for printing.
Nov 11, 2019, 08:44 PM
Retired CAD guy
Just saw some videos of all the 737MAX AC parked at Moses lake .
that a heluva inventory to carry wheeeew !

Oh, and I AM rooting for your Ęgir too.
Nov 12, 2019, 03:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Just saw some videos of all the 737MAX AC parked at Moses lake .
that a heluva inventory to carry wheeeew !

Oh, and I AM rooting for your Ęgir too.
Didn't realize they were sticking them there. Might have to look next time I drive through.

So, last night it was looking pretty bad for the Esun silver petg. Had a lot of moisture in it, and would not extrude cleanly at all. Fortunately the dryer worked better than expected and I'm getting super clean prints now.

Color isn't as silver as I would like, more like a slightly shiny grey. Oh well, should make a very good base for a light coat of metallic aluminum paint. I can leave some stuff unpainted to act as an accent. Also a good opportunity to see how much weight a bit of paint adds.
Nov 12, 2019, 07:58 PM
Retired CAD guy
you will need to fly over the grasp the scope of the inventory ...

https://www.gettyimages.com/search/p...west%23license
Nov 13, 2019, 01:03 AM
Thread OP
Ok, so the metallic aluminum takes almost nothing to adequately coat things, it's only a few percent added to the weight of the part.

Even more good news, is that sanding the part beforehand to knock down the layer lines actually seems to remove as much weight as you add back with paint. Seeing as how that's the case I'm using a bit of sand-able primer to fill in gaps. After things are sanded back down after one coat of primer, the part weight is back to the original. I'll probably do one more coat of primer, then hit it with the silver and see what happens.

If this goes as well as I'm hoping, this plane will be very shiny. Good news for carbon impregnated filaments as well. I may try and print one of these entirely out of polycarbonate cf filament. Should be lighter, stiffer, and still look good assuming it sands as easily as PETG does.
Nov 13, 2019, 11:54 AM
Thread OP
Heh, got lost and put this in the other thread.

Got quite a few parts done, and more on the way.

Priming and sanding is going pretty well, though I don't think I'll continue doing that with the rest of the parts.

When I dedicate the time to it, it'l be on a stiffer material. PETG sags just slightly between the ribs and that look isn't what I'm wanting to go for. That's were the carbon fiber filaments come in.

Good practice and info gathering exercise though. After this last coat of primer, I'll hit my test piece with some silver and see how it turned out.
Nov 13, 2019, 02:53 PM
Thread OP
Shiny.
Last edited by localfiend; Nov 13, 2019 at 07:20 PM.
Nov 14, 2019, 11:27 AM
Thread OP
The prototype is very close to having all parts printed. Hopefully I can get a test flight in this weekend.
Nov 14, 2019, 08:59 PM
Thread OP
All the parts are printed, and I'm in the process of gluing stuff up, painting, and running wires. Should be able to finish the build tomorrow evening if things go according to plan.

I've also started printing some polycarbonate carbon fiber wing pieces. Seems to be going well even if the internals are a bit ugly. With a little more tuning I should be able to clean some of that up. Running the nozzle at 280c, and I think I can drop it a bit, as well as lower retraction some. A bit more stringing is a fine price to pay for more solid supports on an opaque part you plan to print anyway.
Nov 14, 2019, 10:23 PM
Retired CAD guy
Looking forward to some exciting video by this weekend ! fer sure ;>}

Best of luck !

Bob
Nov 15, 2019, 12:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Looking forward to some exciting video by this weekend ! fer sure ;>}

Best of luck !

Bob
I'll be looking for my gopro this evening. Might even have an additional cameraman.

Test fitting parts and doing a CG check before I finish painting. Doesn't quite balance with a 2200mah 4s battery shoved as far up the nose as possible. I have yet to install the power wires, BEC, Receiver, and servos, but the locations of those make me think they'll cancel each other out.

Not terrible news though, as it means you can just use a bigger battery, I left a lot of room. A 2800mah 4s pack was a lot closer. A 3000mah 4s would possibly be perfect. I'll have to see after final assembly.

The addition of an FPV camera in the nose would help with CG, and of course, you can use multiple batteries. A couple 3s 2200mah packs and bigger props wouldn't be a bad option.

Bigger packs also means you can get away with a lower C rating battery (cheaper). At WOT these motors pull almost 50 amps. I've got some 45a blheli_32 esc's with a 60a burst rating, so I'll want to have good power available.

Also, silver paint makes every printing flaw show up. Might be better off just finding a more silver filament. Or if I had more artistic skill, weathering effects could really minimize that. Might be something to experiment with in the future.
Nov 15, 2019, 03:12 PM
Retired CAD guy
With all those cannons you'll be needing gunsite Cam.
Nov 16, 2019, 01:51 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
With all those cannons you'll be needing gunsite Cam.
Only one cannon. The rest are 50's. . But yeah, makes me want an airsoft gun in the nose so I can shoot paper tanks or something.

Just a couple things left to do. She should fly tomorrow. Not sure what color, or what to do with the glass on the cockpit, so it'll have to stay silver for the maiden. Of course, it's just gonna get scrapped after the first few flights anyway. Gonna need the electronics for the final rendition.
Nov 16, 2019, 12:24 PM
Thread OP
Some last pictures in case it goes boom today.

Quick Reply