Nov 09, 2019, 03:20 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

FrSky Taranis X Lite S/Pro for a sailplane?

Hey everyone.

TLDR - I want to switch my Taranis Q X7 to Taranis X Lite S/Pro. Willing to use it for non-competition gliders. What're your thoughts on that?

-------

When X Lite was released, I got sold with it only for the cool design and full-featured Open TX software inside. But it was positioned as a secondary Tx mostly for copter pilots.

However, when the S and Pro version was released with additional momentary switches/buttons, I realized that it can fit the DLG or a small electric glider with ease.

In addition, I stumbled upon the video where the range of my current Tx - Q X7 is compared to the X Lite
FrSky Taranis X-Lite- Тест на дальность! Круче чем Taranis Q X7 ? (16 min 4 sec)

And Lite X provides 1/3 more range of the Q X7 transmitter with the stock internal antenna.

Considering that X Lite S/Pro has
- 2 momentary switches (Q X7 has only 1)
- 2 sliders (missing on Q X7)
- Built-in charging board for charging via Mini USB (missing on Q X7)
- Light weight
- Cool form factor
- New and more stable radio protocol

I'm almost put in my CC details for the new transmitter.

Any thoughts about using this new small Tx for gliders, maybe someone is already using it?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2019, 03:33 PM
slats move, slots don't
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastnyy
Hey everyone.

TLDR - I want to switch my Taranis Q X7 to Taranis X Lite S/Pro. Willing to use it for non-competition gliders. What're your thoughts on that?

-------

When X Lite was released, I got sold with it only for the cool design and full-featured Open TX software inside. But it was positioned as a secondary Tx mostly for copter pilots.

However, when the S and Pro version was released with additional momentary switches/buttons, I realized that it can fit the DLG or a small electric glider with ease.

In addition, I stumbled upon the video where the range of my current Tx - Q X7 is compared to the X Lite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBm01H70k_M

And Lite X provides 1/3 more range of the Q X7 transmitter with the stock internal antenna.

Considering that X Lite S/Pro has
- 2 momentary switches (Q X7 has only 1)
- 2 sliders (missing on Q X7)
- Built-in charging board for charging via Mini USB (missing on Q X7)
- Light weight
- Cool form factor
- New and more stable radio protocol

I'm almost put in my CC details for the new transmitter.

Any thoughts about using this new small Tx for gliders, maybe someone is already using it?
I have the original X-Lite which I got to use with my DLGs, then when the X-Lite Pro came out I started using that with all my gliders, big and small from foam Wisels up to 3 meter carbon F3F birds in competitions.

Having the extra two momentary switches comes in handy.
Nov 09, 2019, 04:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy852
I have the original X-Lite which I got to use with my DLGs, then when the X-Lite Pro came out I started using that with all my gliders, big and small from foam Wisels up to 3 meter carbon F3F birds in competitions.

Having the extra two momentary switches comes in handy.
Coolio! Thanks for sharing!

What did you use before X Lite?
Nov 11, 2019, 04:20 AM
slats move, slots don't
Qx7
Nov 12, 2019, 06:03 AM
You’re late to the party, lots of people already using it for F3K and I’ve seen guys like Nick Wu using it in F5J too.

I don’t get what you mean by increased range and more stable protocol though? It uses an internal antenna, you might find they are patch like, which will give you the sense of more range at the expensive of making it a bit directional.

And they all use either ACCST or ACCESS, just like all the radios in the Frsky line up, so I don’t understand what makes the Xlite protocol more stable?
Nov 12, 2019, 12:23 PM
32.4316į N, 80.6698į W
Seems DLG guys are happy with the Lite S/Pro. Larger craft flyers lean towards the more conventional sized radios.. IMO
Nov 17, 2019, 07:17 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
Youíre late to the party, lots of people already using it for F3K and Iíve seen guys like Nick Wu using it in F5J too.
That's why I started this thread - I didn't know that.

Quote:
I donít get what you mean by increased range and more stable protocol though? It uses an internal antenna, you might find they are patch like, which will give you the sense of more range at the expensive of making it a bit directional.
I'm using Q X7 with the stock internal antenna. The vid above represents that the X-Lite with the same stock antenna is providing loner range - which is good! I'm not willing on getting the external modules, so that's sort of important.

Quote:
And they all use either ACCST or ACCESS, just like all the radios in the Frsky line up, so I donít understand what makes the Xlite protocol more stable?
isn't ACCESS more stable?
Nov 17, 2019, 11:04 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastnyy

isn't ACCESS more stable?
No, ACCST is just as solid as ACCESS.

ACCESS is lower latency, has more features (OTA receiver updates, receiver programming, 24ch, receiver sharing, etc) and has faster telemetry.

Note the range difference is likely just the QX7 had a weaker RF module than the X-Lite. There is some variability in RF power between individual units in all systems.

Quick Reply