Nov 09, 2019, 06:30 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

So I bought this T6 from an old boy in Somerset...

The following touches on my build blog "The Big Guff. This Is Mine" https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...f-This-is-mine, in the Vintage and Old Timer section but as it also deals with scale models I've posted it here too. The Big Guff was one of the first model aircraft designed for radio control and it first flew in 1938.

It is probably about fifteen or twenty years ago that I bought a model from an old boy in Somerset in the South West of England. The model was a Brian Taylor T6 or Harvard in RAF parlance. It was beautifully made and finished in post war RAF colours, two pilots, retracts the lot. The transaction was carried out over tea and buns (of course!) and during the conversation he told me that although he was from Somerset, his wife was a Londoner and they had met during the war when they were both in the army. He also said that he thought that all aeromodellers were hoarders! At the time he must have been in his Seventies. I've been too scared to fly it. I am waiting for my landings to improve!

In 2015 I bought another AT6, actually the naval SNJ-4, a Flair version this time, pictured below. I remember picking it up from a south London supermarket car park on my way "home" to pick up the last of my furniture. It's only taken me five years to install an engine and radio! I still have a few things to adjust so I haven't flown this one yet either.

For the last fortnight I've been deliberating on how I was going to cover the Big Guff. A few days ago I remembered that I had several metres of Vintage Red Solartex, but this was an older darker colour than the Vintage Red which has been sold recently. It turned out that I had eight metres of this stuff. I also had two metres of the rather brighter more translucent Vintage Red and four metres of the standard opaque Red Solartex which I'd bought to cover a Flair Puppeteer. The Puppeteer was a not-so-semi-scale 1/6 scale Sopwith Pup. I had intended to finish the model in a post war colour scheme, red overall with black civilian registrations on a white background but Flair went out of business before I could buy a kit. I was wondering whether eight metres of old Vintage red would be enough to cover the Big Guff entirely. I finally decided to use the opaque red Solartex on the fuselage and the old Vintage Red on the flying surfaces. That way I would have both the remainder of the old Vintage Red and the two metre roll of the more modern Vintage Red for future projects, then if I wanted to buy a 1/6 scale Sopwith Pup from Balsa USA or DB Sport & Scale I could order some red Oratex to cover it.

The the following thought hit me like a thunderbolt. "At seventy-one am I going to live long enough to build that Sopwith Pup especially when I have the following to be getting on with?"

1. The Big Guff to finish.
2. A 1/6 scale BE2e to finish.
3. A little Sharkface to finish.
4. The WOT 4 XL to re-cover.
5. My Senior Telemaster to re-cover. The fuselage needs a little work too it's too flexible.
6. My late best friend's Flying Flea to finish off.
7. My Uncle Ivor's Keil Kraft Outlaw to renovate.
8. A WOT 4 Classic to renovate.
9. A Dave Smith Models Aerostar patternship to renovate.
10. The elderly gentleman's T6/Harvard which needs the radio and engine installing.
11. A Majestic Major that needs a new fuselage, repairs to the wing and a complete re-cover.
12. A DB Sport and Scale Auster to finish off.
13. A friend's Bristol Blenheim to complete
14. My double size Tomboy which requires a new fuselage and fin!

Then there are seven unstarted kits as follows:

DB Sport and Scale SE5 1/4 scale.
Fokker DVII 1/6 scale.
Supra Star patternship.
Another WOT 4 Classic.
Hawker Hurricane.
Stampe Monitor
Another Practical Scale 1/6 scale BE2e.

Plus a 1/3 scale Mick Reeves Sopwith Camel bequeathed to the club to by a man who used to play violin in the Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra! The club passed it on to me on the understanding that I build it.

The average Englishman dies at seventy-nine. Even if I live a fair bit longer I don't think I'll have the time to finish all of these projects. I could leave my stuff to the club but there are fewer and fewer builders these days. That said I'm pleased to report that three younger novices have recently taken up the balsa knife!

The old boy was right, if I am typical we are all hoarders! I ought to sell some of this stuff. I'd hate to think of it all ending up on the bonfire when I finally go to that great flying field in the sky.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2019, 11:01 AM
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, DO IT WITH (ALL) THY MIGHT; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom in She'ol (IIRC = The Pit or the grave), whither thou goest." -Ecc. 9:10

In essence: make hay (or build /enjoy models, enjoy life, etc.) while the sun shines. At 70, with changing health, abilities, and needs, I'm also painfully aware that I'm running out of time, and may need to " thin the hoard", so to speak.

The trouble I'm finding is that fewer and fewer people actually want the stuff I've so carefully hoarded!
Nov 09, 2019, 12:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit

... The trouble I'm finding is that fewer and fewer people actually want the stuff I've so carefully hoarded!
Quite. Maybe they will all go up in flames in the end.
Nov 12, 2019, 01:57 PM
Pro Hoarder
I am leaning toward a Viking funeral..Hobby style...just lay me in the pile of kits and planes and strike a match..A few gallons of glow fuel will make for a good Pyre
Latest blog entry: In flight
Nov 13, 2019, 12:11 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
I am leaning toward a Viking funeral..Hobby style...just lay me in the pile of kits and planes and strike a match..A few gallons of glow fuel will make for a good Pyre
Sounds like a plan!

I'm already using balsa off-cuts to light the wood burner.
Nov 17, 2019, 01:36 PM
Thread OP
If the weather stays calm I may even maiden the blue T6 on Wednesday. I will certainly fly the BE2e.
Be2 (4 min 37 sec)

Quick Reply