One more Longhorne project! I'm on.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2019, 12:46 PM
Big gov never Works
You need a jet, Jorn!

Fuzz
Nov 19, 2019, 04:21 PM
Father by day, hacker by night
I know I even have one! Nothing fancy, a Hobby King 64 mm Jetstar which actually flies pretty well. Could be fun build a stick jet some day - I have been looking at your shark mouths
Nov 19, 2019, 04:22 PM
Father by day, hacker by night
Wonder if we should start calling you the Sharkohlator ...
Nov 19, 2019, 08:40 PM
Big gov never Works
Sharkohlator ... ha..I like that, Jorn! Maybe we could further that...McSharkohlator?
Nov 19, 2019, 09:15 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Thread OP
Oh, boy--I'd better start posting some progress. You guys are getting a little rambunctious

Koh
Nov 19, 2019, 09:33 PM
Big gov never Works
I'm for that!
Nov 20, 2019, 07:27 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorne
Oh, boy--I'd better start posting some progress. You guys are getting a little rambunctious

Koh
Yeah, you'd better. Peanut gallery is getting restless.

J
Nov 21, 2019, 11:24 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Thread OP
Heya, John--been quietly watching your Junkers build. Great work on that beast!

Alright you whacky shark-mouthed airplane nuts--here is a little offering for you. Our buddy Tom Jacoby swung by the War Eagles Air Museum in Santa Teresa NM. When he told me that he was going, I didn't realize that you derned near need a passport to go there. According to Google Maps, it looks like its about two blocks from Mexico.

While there, Tom snapped some nice shots of the A7E that they have on display. In particular, I asked for help with both ends of the fuselage. He came through like a champ, so I'm cleaning up and rescaling the CAD model as we speak.

Paul
Nov 22, 2019, 02:26 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Neat little project.

As an aside, I always wondered how they hung the Corsair II name on the A-7, given it was Vought's third Corsair to see service and the fifth design from Vought to get the Corsair name (the O4U and SBU Corsairs never saw service)
Nov 23, 2019, 02:55 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Thread OP
Yeah, it is odd how they skipped over the early Corsairs.

Got the inlet fixed up. The shape is now much closer to the scale round opening. The CAD model is a little more oval in order to grab a bit more open area, but not enough to be noticeable when she's done.

Next step was to rescale the whole thing. As discussed earlier, the max opening is currently 55mm which I understand to be 100% FSA for the 64mm fan. The image below shows a ring in the tail with an OD of 55mm, and an ID of 52mm. The 52mm is the size of my Freewing Lippisch that flies on the 64mm fan.

The result is a tailpipe that is much larger than scale, but as shown this would result in an airframe with a 32" wingspan. If I continued to scale up to make the tailpipe look right, I'd be over 40", and I think that that will be too much for the little fan. Comments on that are welcome, as the scale can be changed with the click of a button at this stage.

At 32", the inlet as shown with the inner and outer lip fillets is almost exactly 100% FSA. I was hoping for a bit more--the earlier estimates were optimistic as they didn't include the inner fillet.

Next step is to get some dimensions for the 64mm FMS fan, so that it can be measured and created in CAD. Who's got one handy?

Paul
Last edited by Longhorne; Nov 28, 2019 at 01:43 PM.
Nov 23, 2019, 03:13 PM
Big gov never Works
HiYa' Koh 52mm just may work. My experimenting has been limited to recent months with this fan. I know at 54mm, I get very little watt meter change from 55mm. Using too small of an outlet would lower numbers, as the rotor blades are running in more turbulence, because of the increased exhaust pressure. There was single digit loss at 54mm. That is the smallest I tried.

Fuzz
Nov 23, 2019, 07:32 PM
Manzano Laser Works
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorne
Heya, John--been quietly watching your Junkers build. Great work on that beast!

Alright you whacky shark-mouthed airplane nuts--here is a little offering for you. Our buddy Tom Jacoby swung by the War Eagles Air Museum in Santa Teresa NM. When he told me that he was going, I didn't realize that you derned near need a passport to go there. According to Google Maps, it looks like its about two blocks from Mexico.

While there, Tom snapped some nice shots of the A7E that they have on display. In particular, I asked for help with both ends of the fuselage. He came through like a champ, so I'm cleaning up and rescaling the CAD model as we speak.

Paul
Duplicating all the doors on the A7's main LG ought to be a fun project in itself - i think there's 5 on each side!

I had no idea how massive the full-scale TBM actually is! What a beast!

Anyone visiting the El Paso, TX, area ought to check out the War Eagles museum http://www.war-eagles-air-museum.com/

-=Tom=-
Nov 28, 2019, 01:42 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Thread OP

Sowhat size should we make this thing?

Took the time to print a top view of the 32 A7 for a reality check on size. I really liked the size of itbigger than I thought since the aspect ratio of Cold War jets favors fuse length rather than wingspan like the WW2 stuff that Ive been doing.

When I got home, I put my Freewing Lippisch on top of the print. All of a sudden 32 looks too big The Freewing MiG and Panther are around 27 and the F8 is only 21! Ive flown my small slippery Lippisch with the Panther, and the Lippisch dominates the larger model. That made me wonder if the 64mm would have the guts to push a 32 airframe.

No problempaper is cheap. Resized the wingspan to 28. A reduction in outlet down to 50mm and a cheater would be a necessity at this size. Put the Lippisch on the drawing and I like the size but not the cheater.

Next step was to go back to the Fuzz and Shane threads to look for size and weight on their projects. I was surprised to see that the RBC P80 has a 43 wingspan. The Hun WS isnt listed on WeMoTec (weird), but the MiG is 41. This makes it sound like the 64mm fan in my 32 A7 isnt crazy after all of this.

So lets try to lock the size down now. Shanes P80 flight report was fantastic but that was on 5S. What do we expect the performance of a 32 model of similar construction on 3S to look like?

Help me out, people

Paul
Nov 28, 2019, 02:02 PM
Diver-driver
It’s all in the weight Bigger flies better right?

Quick Reply