Nov 08, 2019, 05:22 PM
DominicM
Thread OP
Whoops!

Spitfire crash after aborted landing approach

Not an ideal landing approach but not bad either. Sometimes it's best to take the opportunity and not abort, go around, and aim for perfection. This is why...

Bad luck. Fixable though I suspect.

TRAGIC radio controlled (RC) SPITFIRE CRASH LANDING (3 min 16 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2019, 10:01 PM
Approach looks botched up to me. A bit too fast and unstable but manages to salvage it close to the runway. Then for some reason decides to go around with flaps down and suffers an engine failure, and finally a stall while the nose was held way too high. Any number of things could have prevented or minimized damage.

Unfortunately hindsight is always 20/20. We have all made similar mistakes.

What a shame, I hope he can fix it.
Last edited by 049flyer; Nov 11, 2019 at 10:21 PM.
Nov 13, 2019, 09:52 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Going by the rest of the flight it looked fairly windy/gusty.

Being committed to landing in a relatively small mown area can also add to the problem, many modelers know landing in long grass can cause a lot of damage and generally not recommended.

Everything can happen so quick when landing and a decision to abort and go around occurs. Add to that an engine that decided to not open up cleanly and .......

Great shame. (I'm sure the damage will 'polish out', eventually )

Nov 24, 2019, 09:20 PM
Fly low and fast
Approach looked a bit bumpy. In this windy conditions flaps make things worse as the plane starts ballooning. Without flaps the plane would have been more stable. For some reason he decided for a go around and his engine starts to sputter and finally quit. Still full flaps causing the plane to stall. Keep the plane level, take flaps and gear up and try to belly land into the wind might have saved the plane or at least with less damage. I know it is always easier to analyse afterwords. Maybe it was the maiden flight and is was nervous in addition. We went all through this.
Nice Spit hopefully he can fix it
Last edited by Aviator1165; Nov 24, 2019 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply