Nov 12, 2019, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMikey
Right click your desktop, new text document.

type "pwr_2" (in the body of the document, without quotes)

Save file as "naco_pwr.txt" OR "naco_pwr" (depending on how your PC is configured also without quotes)

Put the file on the sd card.

Put sd card in goggles

turn on goggles.
Thank you, I will try that. I was trying to do it inside the card, with and without quotes.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2019, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMikey
Right click your desktop, new text document.

type "pwr_2" (in the body of the document, without quotes)

Save file as "naco_pwr.txt" OR "naco_pwr" (depending on how your PC is configured also without quotes)

Put the file on the sd card.

Put sd card in goggles

turn on goggles.
Success at last. Thanks again for helping me.
Nov 13, 2019, 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott594
Gotta wonder if DJI is going to negate this mod (or at least the ability to do it going forward) at the next firmware update? Seems to be the way they roll. All they need to do is require the update to active new air unit, and when you update, bye-bye high power mode.

Not that I distrust DJI....
much.

I guess I could be totally wrong, and this is just DJI's way of getting the performance out there without ending up in FCC jail like another big company did...
Either way, I doubt this will hurt DJI FPV sales any...

Also either way, thanks to the person who leaked the code, and to "BoostFPV" if they are not the same person.
Hope they don't get fired, they have done a good for our group.
i dont think they will remove this.
for me this is intentional built that way , because look how easy it is to unlock.
Nov 13, 2019, 05:54 PM
Jesus Freak
gonna add one of these and boost power to 1.2w hoping that the smaller one will dissipate the extra heat as i'm running it in a Nano Goblin and want to stay under 300g AUW.

Pulled from a scraped PC
Last edited by AtTheCross; Nov 13, 2019 at 05:59 PM.
Nov 14, 2019, 05:23 AM
Please BoostFPV come back explain us the video feed hack cannot live without

Thanks !!!!
Nov 14, 2019, 09:21 PM
Jesus Freak
Well the heat sink works! No thermal compound, just stuck it on with the residual 'sticky stuff' that was on the sink.

Pics were taken during the firmware update.

30°F difference
Last edited by AtTheCross; Nov 14, 2019 at 09:50 PM.
Nov 16, 2019, 03:22 PM
I can fix that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross
Well the heat sink works! No thermal compound, just stuck it on with the residual 'sticky stuff' that was on the sink.

Pics were taken during the firmware update.

30°F difference
I am missing what you are telling us here.
I first assumed they were pictures of the difference between having the heatsink on, and not on, but I can see the heatsink (in red) in both pictures, so I am missing something...
Nov 16, 2019, 07:20 PM
Jesus Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.wagner
I am missing what you are telling us here.
I first assumed they were pictures of the difference between having the heatsink on, and not on, but I can see the heatsink (in red) in both pictures, so I am missing something...
the cross hair is pointing at the air unit and measuring the temp of the air unit, the other picture the cross hair is pointing at the heat sink and showing the temp of the heat sink
Nov 16, 2019, 07:29 PM
Just another user...
Quote:
the cross hair is pointing at the air unit and measuring the temp of the air unit, the other picture the cross hair is pointing at the heat sink and showing the temp of the heat sink
A heatsink will definitely lower the internal temperatures in the AU to some extent.

But your test does not show how effective the heatsink is. The sides of the Air Unit are going to be cooler than the top of the unit (i.e. the surface that the heatsink is attached to), regardless of whether the heatsink is there or not.

A real test of the effectiveness would be to take the temperature of the top of the AU before and after the addition of the heatsink. Of course, that would not be possible because the heatsink is stuck on there.

Just sayin'...
Nov 16, 2019, 08:10 PM
Jesus Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingrrcg
A heatsink will definitely lower the internal temperatures in the AU to some extent.

But your test does not show how effective the heatsink is. The sides of the Air Unit are going to be cooler than the top of the unit (i.e. the surface that the heatsink is attached to), regardless of whether the heatsink is there or not.

A real test of the effectiveness would be to take the temperature of the top of the AU before and after the addition of the heatsink. Of course, that would not be possible because the heatsink is stuck on there.

Just sayin'...
Well if you look at the first non thermal pic on the extreme left you will see the heat sink does not go all the way to the end of the AU.

If you will further notice the first thermal pic that show's 88.6°F you should be able to see that the small section not covered by the heat sink of AU is the SAME color (meaning temp) as the side, so I'm pretty sure it's showing how effective the heat sink is, and this is without thermal compound and it's just laying on the AU with some residue sticky stuff (not thermal compound) from when I pulled it off the IC from the computer.

Just sayin'
Nov 21, 2019, 10:00 AM
I can fix that!
A heat sink like that, is not a heat pump. It is just a very thermally conductive metal, that allows heat to flow easily into it.
Unfortunately, with that shiny aluminum finish, it is not very, thermally emissive, so it does not radiate the heat well.
What those images seem to say, is that the case of the Air unit, is more thermally emissive, than the heat sink you added. (assuming that it is equally, thermally conductive)
I will wager that the section of the case that is in direct contact with your heat sink, is almost exactly the same temperature, as the heat sink above it.
That heat sink, in still air, may be a hindrance to heat flow, instead of a help!
Once air starts flowing, and the cooling changes from radiation, and convection to conduction, then the heat sink will really start working the way that type is designed to.
There is a reason that PC heat sinks usually have a fan blowing on them.
Paint that heat sink with a thin coat of flat black paint, and I bet the still air, temp will drop some.
Nov 21, 2019, 10:48 AM
Jesus Freak
there was no fan blowing on this heatsink from the PC I pulled it from. It wasn't the main CPU heatsink.

also the heatsink is on the smooth side of the AU not the side with the built in heatsink (the raised ridges)

I'll give the paint thing a try, maybe half painted and half not just for S and G's

I agree that once in the air with airflow the heatsink will be a lot cooler. It was never super hot once I landed after flying 20 minutes at 700mw. But I wanted a little protection once I go to 1.2w

Also once I apply the thermal compound I think the temp on the contact point of the case will also decrease.
Nov 21, 2019, 01:22 PM
run
run
Quote:
I'll give the paint thing a try, maybe half painted and half not just for S and G's
My opinion on painting is that unless you plan on operating this in a vacuum / with positively zero airflow - painting things is bound to make things worse unless you're talking about anodizing or some pretty specialized paint.

Which i think that's doug.wagner is saying, too, when he says, "Once air starts flowing, and the cooling changes from radiation, and convection to conduction, then the heat sink will really start working the way that type is designed to."
Dec 11, 2019, 01:42 PM
FPV Drone Racing Pilot
How does this change the power draw on the FC? I am limited to 10.5w in my current setup and 700mw already draws up to 9w.
Apr 02, 2020, 10:31 AM
Hi. Will this High Power mode work with the version we purchase here in the UK ?

Quick Reply