Nov 08, 2019, 02:44 AM
AeroDan
Thread OP
Discussion

Cirrus SR22 Crashes Near KCCB

A Cirrus SR22 departing Cable Airport in Upland crashed into a residence during departure late Thursday morning, about 1/2 mile east of the RWY 24 threshold. Sole pilot on board perished. All “3” persons in the house survived unscathed. Aircraft’s Emergency Parachute deployed, but the aircraft was @too low an altitude to be effective. The field’s about 8 miles NW from where I live. NTSB’s investigating.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Nov 08, 2019 at 09:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2019, 01:48 PM
AMA 910957
Wondering if it'll be a bad fuel (water?) situation.

EJ
Nov 12, 2019, 08:06 PM
AeroDan
Thread OP
A fire was started, and the a/c was totally consumed by flames. Not sure about the fuel tank contamination. Praise God the occupants of the house egressed safely.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Nov 12, 2019 at 08:15 PM.
Nov 13, 2019, 08:15 PM
AMA 910957
Water is heavier than gasoline, which means it's first in line to make it to the carb/injectors from the tanks. Enough fuel can stay in the lines to start the engine, taxi, and takeoff. Murphy never sleeps.

EJ
Nov 14, 2019, 01:54 PM
AeroDan
Thread OP
Looks like the NTSB could use a brain like yours, EJ. I remember back in August ‘86, the “Cerritos Air Disaster”, where one of the Hot-Shot NTSB investigators referred to that Piper PA-28-181 Archer II involved in the accident as a “Cessna”. Even a dumb, fat little 13-year-old like me at the time knew he was incorrect.
Nov 14, 2019, 06:43 PM
AMA 910957
Not me! The NTSB has highy talented engineers. If you have the inclination, here's the Cerritos report:

http://libraryonline.erau.edu/online...s/AAR87-07.pdf

NTSB reports are dry and clinical. They usually take a year for conclusion.

This report dates back to 1988 concerning contaminated fuel:

https://www.ntsb.gov/safety/safety-r.../A88_39_40.pdf

EJ
Nov 15, 2019, 02:29 AM
AeroDan
Thread OP
THANKS, EJ, for posting the link for the Cerritos Report. I mean WOW!!! I wonder if that VFR-Grumman Tiger (out of KFUL) in that same vector moments earlier created confusion w/ATC?
Last edited by Bell47G2; Nov 15, 2019 at 03:09 AM.
Nov 18, 2019, 09:21 PM
AeroDan
Thread OP
8/31/86 Cerritos Report; Looks like Niner-One-Foxtrot didn’t have a Mode-Charlie Txp., and Six-Six-Romeo just wondered on into the TCA, creating disruptive distraction for LA App. vectoring AeroMexico Four-Niner-Eight. Thanks, EJ. I’ll keep poring over this (Cerritos Report) until it clicks.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Nov 18, 2019 at 09:26 PM.
Dec 06, 2019, 06:46 PM
Pro Hoarder
The pilot was just too low and slow then over banked on the turn to final. He was landing not taking off. Possible he was distracted by a aircraft just ahead of him in the pattern.
Latest blog entry: In flight
Yesterday, 10:02 AM
AeroDan
Thread OP
Thanks for clearing things up, turbonut. The news media’s full of it. I LOVE Upland, probably because of KCCB. My wife & I had an apartment up there, off Mountain & 11th, back in ‘10-‘13.
Yesterday, 10:14 AM
AMA 910957
I didn't know the phase of flight. Guess that rules out fuel contamination.

I also don't know very much about the ballistic recovery systems, although it sounds that in some cases, pilots are taking them as a solves-all to their situation. Pilot skills should be the first instinct - at least that's what was taught when I was coming up.

- Speed is life, and,
- fly first!

Have to wait for the NTSB final report. Here's their Prelim:

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...relim&IType=FA

EJ
Yesterday, 10:46 AM
AeroDan
Thread OP
Thanks, EJ. My 2-cents; it sounds like the Cirrus was following the 1st plane on approach to close. Media claimed the accident aircraft was departing/ was based @KCCB. KTOA is a way’s away. KTOA’s pretty popular. Back in the 70’s, there was so much demand for a parking spot there, Torrance city council begged LA leadership to re-open Reeves Field on Terminal Island, to serve as a reliever field for Torrance. Got my 1st taste of being aloft out of there.

Daniel
Last edited by Bell47G2; Yesterday at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply