Jan 15, 2020, 05:35 PM
FJH
FJH
You are missing that the DS-16 provides RF signal distribution equivalent to both sides left and right of the Tx while for the DS-12 this is not the case. RF signal distribution/quality to the right side suffers because it's partially blocked by the electronic installation. This is what Jeti users found when flying same model with same receiver and same antenna installation and comparing their DS-16 log with DS-12 log. And ofcourse Jeti and Jeti dealers simply ignore and disagree with that findings.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2020, 05:46 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Well the 16 is redundant right? Where the 12 only has the one 2.4 module. Can’t really compare the 2 fairly in my opinion.
Jan 15, 2020, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Well the 16 is redundant right? Where the 12 only has the one 2.4 module. Canít really compare the 2 fairly in my opinion.
Agree. Two different setups so one cannot expect the same signal distribution.
Jan 16, 2020, 04:00 AM
FJH
FJH
Quote:
Well the 16 is redundant right? Where the 12 only has the one 2.4 module. Canít really compare the 2 fairly in my opinion.
Just saving maybe 50 bucks for a second RF module, is it that what Jeti customers want and what they were waiting for?

Quote:
Early on I was getting low signal warnings, but the warning thresholds were set fairly high so I lowered them.
You are paying minimum 600 bucks up to 1k for this Tx and you are willing to accept bad signal distribution/quality to some extent?? And your solution for that technical deficiency obviously is just lowering the signal warning tresh hold, meaning decrease of safety margin!! My respect, I would not, but for sure Jeti will love such customers.
Jan 16, 2020, 08:08 AM
Have there been range issues with the DS-12? I have not read of any on various sites so not sure why the dismay other than you feel there should be redundant antennas.

Do you feel the single antenna can be better placed in the transmitter housing?
Jan 17, 2020, 08:01 AM
I have one of the DS12 transmitters and it has been working just fine for me. I am limited to 300 feet because our club flying field is within the controlled airspace of a major airport in the area. But range hasn't been a problem, even when I fly the planes way out horizontally for turn arounds etc. I did change out the SD switch for a two position switch instead of the momentary contact spring loaded switch. My other brand radios all use a regular switch in that position on the TXs too. I use it as a throttle cut on my helicopters and airplanes.

A Torx T6 screwdriver was needed for the little Torx screws holding the back of the case on. Plus you need the special switch nut driver tool for their special switch nuts too.

My only concern is the back of the case feels slippery in my hands. I am always thinking it is going to slip out of my hands in a moment of inattention. It is a bit more worrisome when you hand launch a plane. Some kind of a non-slip surface on the back for the fingers would be a big plus.
Latest blog entry: yes I still fly airplanes too
Jan 17, 2020, 11:12 AM
Look at the DS 12 thread here, Jason and others have posted what the use for anti slip .
Jan 17, 2020, 11:29 AM
I really like custom Jeti LUA for DS-12

Zb/Esprit
Jan 17, 2020, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJH
Just compare the antenna installation between DS-16 and DS-12. The disadvantageous installation for the DS-12 you can see in above first post, on picture "A look at the DS-12 electronics" and for DS-16 in attached
In the DS-12 is the horizontal antenna the 900 or 2.4? I understand the point you are making but I just do not see it as a problem for how I fly. I have spent some time looking across the inter-web and really have found only one complaint about the DS-12 and the issue was found to be how the user was placing his receiver in the plane. Nothing to do with the DS-12.

I suppose one could 3D print a antenna housing, get a longer 2.4 antenna, mount the new antenna housing on the top and back of the LCD area and then thread the new antenna up it.

However, for my flying I think the present arrangement will be fine. I suppose redundant antenna would be great in noisy areas or for those that want to fly 2 miles away. My area is pretty quite, electrically and 2.4, and at my age and eyesight nothing gets more than a few hundred yards away.
Jan 17, 2020, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model
I really like custom Jeti LUA for DS-12

Zb/Esprit
Ooohhhhhh .... now that looks nice. Going to have to read the instructions on how to set up the LUA tools.
Jan 17, 2020, 06:26 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufo
In the DS-12 is the horizontal antenna the 900 or 2.4?

The 2.4 antennas are the two in the upper right corner 90 degrees to one another. The 900 antenna is the coil below them.
Jan 17, 2020, 06:35 PM
Quote:
The 2.4 antennas are the two in the upper right corner 90 degrees to one another. The 900 antenna is the coil below them.
Oh crap ... OK, now I see. So the big complaint is that there is only one RF deck. I am just not seeing where the big problem is here then, if I wanted two RF decks then I would have bought another model.

Frankly, I am extremely happy with the DS-12 and signal. No problems at all. I expect that if JETI felt there was an issue they would have used 2 RF decks.
Jan 17, 2020, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roids
Look at the DS 12 thread here, Jason and others have posted what the use for anti slip .
I took a another look in this thread and didn't see any mention about it. The other long running thread in this category is over 2000 pages long and a search of it didn't provide me wtih any hits.b But I was thinking about using some of the "no slip tape' from our Home Depot or Lowes stores. Granted you wind up with a roll of the stuff, but I can use it on other things too. They have several different types, so I need to go and check the different tapes out at the store before I buy one.
Jan 17, 2020, 08:31 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Here’s what I use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I511BDQ...p_mob_ap_share

You can see it in my video above.
Jan 18, 2020, 08:29 AM
yeah that looks good. Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply