Jeti Duplex DS-12 Radio Review

The feature list is huge!

Splash

Introduction

I've been a Jeti fan for a long time now. I've flown and still do fly other brands of radios and they are all good, but Jeti has been my go to preferred radio ever since I laid hands on the DS-14 four or five years ago. The gimbals are awesome, the hardware is top of the line and the programming is simple and intuitive, but is capable of doing just about anything you can imagine. It is easily customizable which comes in really handy for me being left handed flying Discus Launch Gliders. I was able to get a spring loaded switch to put on the right side of the radio to activate launch and zoom modes while I throw the plane. All of the features combined to give me exactly what I need.

The case on the DS-14 is made from aluminum which is awesome, but it's heavy and I started to feel the effects from that weight at the USA F3K Team Selects event last fall. I needed a lighter radio and when I heard about the DS-12, I got excited, both for the weight and for the color screen! I had a chance to meet with Esprit Model and the Jeti Owners at Joe Nall to discuss me getting a radio to use at the World Championships and they were able to get me one in time. I am grateful and excited to be able to talk about my experience with the Jeti DS-12.

What's in the Box

The box is similar to other Jeti radios and the transmitter is nicely packed away and protected inside. My package included the transmitter, AC charger, USB cable, manual, a cleaning cloth and tools for opening the case.

Features

The feature list is huge! I'm not going to be able to cover everything and there are certain features like the 900Mhz backup that isn't out yet so I can't try it. You can see all the features and functions at the Esprit Model DS-12 Page Here.

What I'm going to do is talk about what I've used in regards to Discus Launch Gliders and my experience with it in the video below. Also keep in mind that Jeti does offer the DS-12 in a basic package and lets you upgrade to more features as you need/want them. You can view the reference sheet in the pic below to see how it comes standard and what the several upgrade options are. Pricing ranges from $595 for the basic edition up to $960 for the deluxe.

Conclusion

The Jeti DS-12 is a great value with differing packages and pricing available. You don't have to pay for features you may not use, but you can always upgrade to them later if you need them. You get a high quality, easy to use radio with a bright color screen. The weight and feel is perfect for DLG's and you can customize the switches to your preference. There's a lot to like here and I'm really happy with my DS-12 and I think you will be too.

Visit the Jeti DS-12 Website Here

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Last edited by Jim T.; Dec 06, 2022 at 12:38 PM..
Jan 14, 2020, 02:04 PM
I love my ds14, but you’re right it’s heavy.
Jan 14, 2020, 06:39 PM
Paper Plane Scratch Builder
Nice review. I have the DS-12 and it is everything it is advertised to be and more. Very happy with the purchase.
Jan 14, 2020, 10:35 PM
Love my DS-14. Thinking about the DS-12. The DS-14 has dual 2.4 ghz antennas, correct? While the DS-12 only has one? Have you noticed any change in signal quality? Is the screen sunlight readable... can you see the screen with polarized sunglasses? That's one downside of the -14. Thanks.
Jan 15, 2020, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufo
Nice review.
what review ? this is pure advertising.
it's the first time I see a sticky thread in this sub-forum.
I have seen some threads like this from the admin Jim Graham and none did ever have this sticky function.

Now I think on how much money esprit model spends on ad banners and I read the bottom lines to take my own conclusion:

-Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products

-RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.

-In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy

-This thread is privately moderated by Jason Cole, who may elect to delete unwanted replies
Jan 15, 2020, 08:24 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
What review??? I discuss my thoughts about the radio after having used it. The review was specific to using it for discus launch gliders. What else could I have written or put in the video for you to consider it a “review.” I’d really like to know.

I sticky all my reviews for two weeks as it is featured content. Sticky posts are all privately moderated by the OP. That is removed when the sticky is.

Advertising and reviews are separate. Reviews are unbiased and this is my real opinion on this radio. I love it or I wouldn’t be using it.
Jan 15, 2020, 08:40 AM
FJH
FJH
- deleted -
Last edited by FJH; Jan 15, 2020 at 09:08 AM.
Jan 15, 2020, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
The review was specific to using it for discus launch gliders.
What else could I have written or put in the video for you to consider it a “review.” I’d really like to know.
Jason sorry for the rant.
I can only consider it a true review if the RF link has been tested outdoor with gas engine ignitions, carbon fiber fuselages, near cell phone towers and so on...
in addition to that I would like to see how 3rd party ESC's settings are displayed and how much bright (readable) the screen in direct sunlight is.
Last edited by Radikal; Jan 15, 2020 at 09:10 AM.
Jan 15, 2020, 09:23 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Gotcha, no worries. I’m only using it for sailplanes right now and can fly out to my limits of vision and still have control. Early on I was getting low signal warnings, but the warning thresholds were set fairly high so I lowered them.

The screen is insanely bright and perfectly readable in direct sunlight and even with polarized sunglasses on. That’s a huge plus for me.

Thanks for the comments. I do tend to stick with my personal experiences with products and what I like about them. I don’t get too much into the technical testing of things so that’s something I can work on.
Jan 15, 2020, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJH
- deleted -
FJH why did you delete your post
you were commenting that DS12 users are suffering from some issues due to incorrect antenna installation in comparison to the DS16
Jan 15, 2020, 10:08 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Interested as well. Are we talking incorrect antenna installation in the radio? or on the receiver side?
Jan 15, 2020, 10:46 AM
FJH
FJH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radikal
FJH why did you delete your post
you were commenting that DS12 users are suffering from some issues due to incorrect antenna installation in comparison to the DS16
Well, I deleted because Jason pointed out that his post is not meant as test/review report and neither as advertising. It just reflects his personal opinion after short time of using it. He is happy with his DS-12, so let him be happy.
Jan 15, 2020, 03:52 PM
Is this incorrect antenna installation in the transmitter or inside the plane?

There is a post or two in another thread, DS12 thread I think, where a Euro user was unhappy about the link quality. I believe it was determned to be an issue with how the user installed the receiver in the plane.
Jan 15, 2020, 05:09 PM
FJH
FJH
Just compare the antenna installation between DS-16 and DS-12. The disadvantageous installation for the DS-12 you can see in above first post, on picture "A look at the DS-12 electronics" and for DS-16 in attached
Jan 15, 2020, 05:14 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
What am I missing? They are the same orientation, just that the 16 has two sets.

Quick Reply