Nov 06, 2019, 10:00 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

fuse build

Hey everyone i am building a balsa version of the full house radian, (drew out the plans myself) my problem is the built up fuse.
So my question is, what methods are there there for doing a built up fuse? Should i do it in two halves? top and bottom,or left and right? or am i missing something?

thanks,
Matt
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2019, 11:51 PM
Matt,

Balsa fuse construction is normally in a "box" format, or possibly "stick" built. That is a simple description, and doesn't mean the shape needs to be a "box"...

While you could build it in halves, and then join... I don't think it's the best method in this case. Are you approaching it this way because of the way many foam models are assembled.... 2 halves, bonded together around the electrics, and mechanicals?

Brian
Nov 07, 2019, 12:04 AM
I'm assuming you want a curvy fuselage. If so, check out rubber scale designs to see how they do it. There are plenty on Outerzone.
Nov 07, 2019, 10:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbldr
Matt,

Balsa fuse construction is normally in a "box" format, or possibly "stick" built. That is a simple description, and doesn't mean the shape needs to be a "box"...
I dont think i quite understand what you mean by that second part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbldr
While you could build it in halves, and then join... I don't think it's the best method in this case. Are you approaching it this way because of the way many foam models are assembled.... 2 halves, bonded together around the electrics, and mechanicals?
No it just seemed simpler then trying to line up the bulk heads since there are no flat surfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
I'm assuming you want a curvy fuselage. If so, check out rubber scale designs to see how they do it. There are plenty on Outerzone.
Yes it will be fairly curvey, i will check them out thanks.

-Matt
Nov 07, 2019, 12:11 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
How about posting some of your sketches. It may be easier to identify what the best method would be for a fuse design.

A box fuse design can have tri-stock included in the corners so that you can round it once it has been assembled. This was done for quite some time. If you were to look at a STD Aquila which has a built up fuse you can see what I mean.

If you are looking for something more involved than you can use stringers that run through all of the formers much like a stick/tissue FF design. Instead of tissue you can use a very thin (1/32) balsa sheeting.

If you want a simple box design then this is the quickest to build. It is functional and is easy to insure it is true.

Kurt
Nov 08, 2019, 12:24 AM
Couple of pics of my current project...

The "box" sides including the square front former, is cut from 1/32" ply. Box meaning at any given cross section along its length, it is a rectangle, not that it resembles a shipping container🙂

Then, balsa sheet on the outside of that allows shaping to a rounded shape. In these pics, I have only sanded the bottom corners down at @45*, and still need to do the final shaping.
Nov 08, 2019, 12:37 AM
Here is another pic showing the triangle stock added to the inside of the "box" to reinforce all of the corners. I do this at every intersection of the sides of the "box". If you want to create the smooth and round external shape, I think this is important. You can only see the stuff up in front here, but there is tri stock in every corner even back under the wing bed area.
Nov 08, 2019, 12:51 AM
Also, regarding having a flat surface to start building from...

All 4 sides of the ply "box" are straight/flat from where the pencil lays to the back edge of the wood structure. This build started upside down, from the flat plate where the wing sits. Everything was squared and centered from that.

Ask questions if any of this isn't making sense🙂

Brian
Nov 08, 2019, 02:38 AM
I think if he's making the fuselage as thick as the Radian. regular box construction might be heavy.

A bunch of old, larger free flight gliders had fuselages that were curvy and fairly thick. I think there are a bunch on Outerzone, including the Super Sinbad, though maybe you want more stringers. In that case you might go to claudel.dopp.free.fr and click on planeurs antique. There's also a Czech page which has sam78 in the URL, though I couldn't find it just now. Or maybe I'm remembering it wrong. Be careful with these sites. You could lose a LOT of time checking them out.
Nov 08, 2019, 03:13 AM
BTW, you may be interested in a discussion that shows different fuselage types and jigs for assembling them straight. Do a search on:
stickandtissue fuselage construction types

A couple more sites with designs for big, swoopy balsa fuselages:

sam78.cz hit menu button and select what I recall is the third button down, which I think is called something like model database except in Czech. On the page that sends you to, hit a button near the bottom of the page. Then, pick vetrone if you want gliders. Many will be fat and curvy and even have plans.

Also try a search on volar libremente

Or an image search on the very prolific Radoslav Cizek
I seem to recall his 1948 Zehrovice had lots of stringers.

I've just doomed you for months. And I haven't even mentioned a certain Italian site. And I seem to recall another one. Was it Greek? .........
Nov 08, 2019, 11:36 AM
Thread OP
Thank everyone, i will try and post my plans later, warning they are slopy.
I will check out the sugestion when i get back and onto my laptop.

I had a previously local flyer to me build a super sinbad last year, which is where i saw the concept of a built up fuse but i had no idea how to build it? I have moved since then.

I think, as lincon said, the box fuse would be a little to heavy for this specific build, as it is so large and curvy, and having built a couple (not great) box fuses i would agree.

Baisically my end goal is a lighter, possibly better preforming radian, for the pure reson of me really liking the full house version and have a cool plane . What better resons hmm

Thanks for all the sugestions! The more methods i have to chose from the better. : )
-Matt
Nov 08, 2019, 07:47 PM
Look at the Old time Sinbad plan designs. Think that would be the way to go for round and light.
Nov 08, 2019, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
Here is my attempt to show my plans. Haven't looked at them in months .
Shows side and bottom.
Nov 09, 2019, 03:22 AM
I would suggest you download some glider plans off
www.outerzone.co.uk
Look through them for ideas on how to build a fuselage.
Some of the slope soarers often have more curvy, but heavier, fuselages.
Last edited by mhodgson; Nov 09, 2019 at 02:12 PM.
Nov 09, 2019, 07:50 AM
https://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=90790

Quick Reply