Nov 13, 2019, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
This what I got:
Sorry i didn't mean to imply that was the only registration possibility.
That response makes sense for your situation.
Before 2018 I flew all my planes under 107 occasionally (due to Helipad proximity) so I'm in the opposite situation. All my planes are already 107 registered and I wanted to know if I needed to add my recreational registration for when I fly that way.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2019, 07:44 PM
Team Futaba
I do both. When I want to fly my 107 registered multirotor aircraft under the hobby rules I follow the hobby rules but still display the 107 registration number. And I never fly my recreational model airplanes with their hobby registration number on them under 107.
Nov 14, 2019, 04:56 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar
Allow me to clarify. I'm interested in seeing a list of actionable items that individual pilots/citizens can do. As I mentioned, I'm not interested in a bullet list of things you think the AMA is doing incorrectly (I don't disagree with some of your bullet points btw).
In short, get involved. Participate in your government whatever the source. Be straight and polite with people. Not like you find here.

If you're an AMA member, contact Muncie and ask pointed questions. When they blow you off, keep asking! Insist on reasoned answers (again, Not like you find here). Don't leave it up to your local AMA officials to get answers.

When I wrote Rich Hanson protesting his calling non-AMA rogues and criminals, he lacked the decency to respond to me personally. Instead he had one of his lackey's respond. But I had already identified him as one who would do that. He ducks the tough questions.

For matters regarding the FAA and new rules, contact your Congressman and Senators. Many times! Ask questions for clarification and state your opinions and desires. Go see them personally to discuss things. Work on your local representatives too. I see my Rep to the state government on a monthly basis. She holds what she calls office hours in a library (in my case) for anyone who wants to come in. She does this several times every month throughout her district.

Your relationship with your representative is not something that will happen over night. It takes time to develop and grow it. But in a year or so you'll discover you have a good relationship with them and they even know your name. The goal is to get to know them and for them to get to know you and see you as a reasoned, concerned constituent.

I no longer live in a state I was in for 30 years. But I still get the occasional e-mail from a Senator of that state. Last one was over that death in Taiwan. It read, "Have you heard of this? What do you think?" Not even my Senator anymore but asking my opinion based on our past relationship.
Nov 14, 2019, 05:39 AM
When is the election for AMA president? I lost my ballot, but didn't think that there is any one person who would possibly be able to make a difference anyway. All they have is the old way of doing things and no way whatsoever on how to increase much needed membership.
Nov 14, 2019, 06:03 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliers1
When is the election for AMA president? I lost my ballot, but didn't think that there is any one person who would possibly be able to make a difference anyway. All they have is the old way of doing things and no way whatsoever on how to increase much needed membership.
It's going on now or may be just completed.

When the sitting elected officials control who can be on the ballot............................. Corruption is always suspect.

Kind of like what the Democrats seem to want for our national elections. You can vote for anyone as long as we approve. Back in the USSR......
Nov 14, 2019, 06:51 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Watcher
In short, get involved. Participate in your government whatever the source. Be straight and polite with people. Not like you find here.

If you're an AMA member, contact Muncie and ask pointed questions. When they blow you off, keep asking! Insist on reasoned answers (again, Not like you find here). Don't leave it up to your local AMA officials to get answers.

When I wrote Rich Hanson protesting his calling non-AMA rogues and criminals, he lacked the decency to respond to me personally. Instead he had one of his lackey's respond. But I had already identified him as one who would do that. He ducks the tough questions.

For matters regarding the FAA and new rules, contact your Congressman and Senators. Many times! Ask questions for clarification and state your opinions and desires. Go see them personally to discuss things. Work on your local representatives too. I see my Rep to the state government on a monthly basis. She holds what she calls office hours in a library (in my case) for anyone who wants to come in. She does this several times every month throughout her district.

Your relationship with your representative is not something that will happen over night. It takes time to develop and grow it. But in a year or so you'll discover you have a good relationship with them and they even know your name. The goal is to get to know them and for them to get to know you and see you as a reasoned, concerned constituent.

I no longer live in a state I was in for 30 years. But I still get the occasional e-mail from a Senator of that state. Last one was over that death in Taiwan. It read, "Have you heard of this? What do you think?" Not even my Senator anymore but asking my opinion based on our past relationship.
Wasting your time.......... all you get is canned responses along with pointless AMA talking points. When you press them they get annoyed and just label you as a trouble maker and blow you off. As far as elected officials there no better. A member of the staff will acknowledge the correspondence but that's as far as it will go.

Mike
Nov 14, 2019, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliers1

Today is the last day.
Nov 14, 2019, 10:51 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663
Wasting your time.......... all you get is canned responses along with pointless AMA talking points. When you press them they get annoyed and just label you as a trouble maker and blow you off. As far as elected officials there no better. A member of the staff will acknowledge the correspondence but that's as far as it will go.

Mike
Heh! Heh! Don't I know it. But people get irritated and call you a hater if you come right out and say that.

Animal House Bluto Outburst (0 min 5 sec)
Nov 14, 2019, 02:27 PM
BFMA #13, aka Rogue 13
had to be postmarked by nov 12.
Nov 14, 2019, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo
had to be postmarked by nov 12.

Makes sense as I think the wording was that it had to be received by today. Now let's wait and see who got elected. I think we can all agree that getting RH out of there is a step forward. Let's just hope that the new president has the walnuts to push some positive changes.
Nov 14, 2019, 06:23 PM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_m
Ok. If you donít compete and donít care about the magazine, it then depends on what you fly. If you fly bigger stuff and need a club field, AMA has a monopoly on that. On the other hand, If you fly smaller stuff, you have lots of options.

Big picture though
- follow the FAA rules/349 (law) whether you like it or not. Last thing the hobby needs is people violating it.

- be a good ambassador. Youíll see some, in these pages even, that look down on people that donít fly big stuff or compete or etc. That drives people away

- donít ďassertĒ your right fly somewhere where people donít want you flying.

- always fly in a manner that NEVER creates a sense that youíre reckless - from an outside observers point of view
I think these all sound great!
Nov 14, 2019, 06:24 PM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneesaknockin
Should AMA advocate solely for Drone/Aero Models of the Hobbyists nature? Cutting ties to All Commercial Drones. Since the FAA/NTSB will be in full control of those entities.

Could the AMA apply for a Federal Grant? If, it can prove that the Commercial Drone Industry has hampered its membership in any way...Hence, membership drops since the advent of the drone...

Can the AMA prove membership drops since the FAA repealed 336? Should the FAA require the same standards for Commercial vs. Non-Commercial? Should the FAA require license and testing for each? Should the operators operating under a CBO be exempt from FAA testing?
I think all the potential big drone operators don't feel the need for the AMA, since they've already got an established network of people working with the government.
Nov 14, 2019, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar
I think all the potential big drone operators don't feel the need for the AMA, since they've already got an established network of people working with the government.

That and they have no need to fly from a fixed site. The big draw a few years ago for the drone guys was to fly at different locations as part of their photography hobby. That has seemingly lost steam. It seems to me that there are far less questionable drone videos being posted now as opposed to a few years ago.
Nov 14, 2019, 09:11 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Watcher
Another example of this same attitude. When I wrote to the ED asking why they don't do virtual meetings (GoToMeeting etc.) to save money AND allow greater member participation, he said "they're required" to do them face to face. When I challenged that nowhere in the bylaws nor in tax law is there anything requiring face to face, he got snippy and rude.

Bottom line, AMA leaderships doesn't want anything but sunshine and unicorns from the members. The entire EC and HQ staff views members as the "unwashed masses" who are just supposed to send them money and not ask questions.
Nov 15, 2019, 10:14 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
The January meeting is scheduled to be virtual.

I'm not sure you can paint the entire EC and HQ staff with the unicorn brush. Unless you have statements from all of them regarding their feelings about the membership?

Quick Reply