Thread Tools
Nov 05, 2019, 10:28 AM
Registered User
kneesaknockin's Avatar
Thread OP
Question

Future of the AMA


Since the future of the AMA is obviously in the toilet. Are there any 'RC Flying Sites' across the USA that are NOT sanctioned by the AMA. I am considering just ditching the RC hobby at this point. But, a last ditch effort, I noticed a post about a 'Flight Fest' that was not an AMA site. More of those could possibly be the answer?

Where is this Fest?

Dang it, AMA is required...Oh Well...
Last edited by kneesaknockin; Nov 06, 2019 at 11:35 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2019, 10:47 AM
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
There are no AMA sanctioned flying sites. AMA does not sanction, approve, inspect or charter flying sites. Many chartered clubs have flying sites, many other clubs do not.

They do provide site owner coverage if the Chartered club requests and pays for it.
Last edited by Silent-AV8R; Nov 05, 2019 at 12:47 PM.
Nov 05, 2019, 12:05 PM
Registered User
Flite Test Edgewater airpark
https://edgewaterairpark.com/
Nov 05, 2019, 02:21 PM
Registered User
elan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneesaknockin
Since the future of the AMA is obviously in the toilet. Are there any 'RC Flying Sites' across the USA that are NOT sanctioned by the AMA. I am considering just ditching the RC hobby at this point. But, a last ditch effort, I noticed a post about a 'Flight Fest' that was not an AMA site. More of those could possibly be the answer?

Where is this Fest?
-At the local flying fields around here it's business as usual, folks are flying and having fun. But maybe you're right, if you aren't feeling it, perhaps you should give it a rest...
Nov 05, 2019, 02:54 PM
Keep Flying Model Aeroplanes
Rhea's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneesaknockin
. . . . . . . More of those could possibly be the answer?

Where is this Fest?
All it takes to do that is to have a good attitude about the hobby and make a place for all to enjoy.

Another group of fliers enjoying the hobby can be seen on YouTube.
Just search for "Discover RC" and see what fun can be had with RC planes.
Nov 05, 2019, 03:53 PM
Registered User
Flite Fests are fun. I went to Flight Fest West a few years ago.

https://www.flitefest.com/

We run flying "classes" at the community college during Fall, Winter and Spring terms. (By "class" I mean we'll teach newbies if they wish, but it's mostly people who just want to fly indoors when it's raining.) Since we have a roof, I don't think the FAA applies.
Nov 05, 2019, 06:22 PM
Registered User
kneesaknockin's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
There are no AMA sanctioned flying sites. AMA does not sanction, approve, inspect or charter flying sites. Many chartered clubs have flying sites, many other clubs do not.

They do provide site owner coverage if the Chartered club requests and pays for it.
Maybe, I should rephrase...In my area, ALL flying sites require that you have AMA card/#. I was just wondering where places were that you could fly RC without the AMA. Is AMA, the only thing out there?
Nov 05, 2019, 06:31 PM
Keep Flying Model Aeroplanes
Rhea's Avatar
What is the problem with AMA? You wrote "Since the future of the AMA is obviously in the toilet."
If you would support the organization and embrace the cause maybe you could help them to stay out of the "toilet".

With the AMA card/# you could enjoy flying at those sites.
Nov 05, 2019, 06:50 PM
Registered User
elan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneesaknockin
Maybe, I should rephrase...In my area, ALL flying sites require that you have AMA card/#. I was just wondering where places were that you could fly RC without the AMA. Is AMA, the only thing out there?
-Here's some decent information, it's dated, but mostly still applies, (e.g. now you need an FAA number on your ship).


Not Flying at an AMA Sanctioned Flying Field? Things To Know...

Posted by Motion RC on August 03, 2016 | Category: Regulations and Safety

Just one of the numerous advantages of joining the AMA is the ability to fly your RC aircraft in places that are not designated AMA locations such as public parks, schools, and certain public lands that are free of people and obstructions (such as a non-developed area with paved roads as an example) and still be covered by AMA's liability insurance. This was a fairly recent shift in their policy (where in the past you were only covered if flying at an AMA sanctioned flying field) which is a welcomed one for many a safe pilot that may not have access to a local AMA flying field.

However, as can be imagined, this is NOT license to fly wherever you want, whenever you want, without some common sense and respect for the property, obstructions, people and animals that may be in the general location of your chosen flying area. Let's take a closer look at the types of decisions and safety guidelines that must be met at all times in order to still be protected as an AMA member in the unfortunate incident an accident occurs involving your RC aircraft.

Public Schools - My flying buddy and I have been flying at a local junior high school for years now. There are many reasons we choose to fly there. For one, the school offers a rubber-surfaced track and giant paved parking lot that allows us to fly our EDF jets and small to large RC airplanes with retracts that we might not otherwise be able to on grass. Our local AMA flying field is a shorter, grass field that simply does not work for some of these aircraft.

Most often we choose times when there is no school activities or sports going on such as weekends or week nights when school is out. We almost always fly when there is nobody else around at all but us. However, there are times when it cannot be avoided such as folks who show up once we are already there flying, perhaps to jog around the track or play in the soccer field or other areas. This is where it comes in handy to have a friend with you who can be a lookout, reporting where people are located so you can keep your eyes on your aircraft at all times.

When flying in the vicinity of other people cannot be avoided ALWAYS be sure that your flight path is AWAY FROM PEOPLE. NEVER FLY DIRECTLY NEAR OR OVER PEOPLE. Even a small-midsize foam airplane can inflict great damage to people or property under certain circumstances. We always shift our flight path to steer clear of people at all times. Safety is paramount in this hobby!

In the years we have flown at this school we have always used good safety practices and common sense, respecting the fact that our RC aircraft can be dangerous if mishandled or flown without caution or care. Always remember the school has the right to ask you to leave, especially if they feel you are flying too close to school activities or events. Never fail to use good judgement 100% of the time. Because we have, we have always been welcome to fly at the school due to our respect for school property and school-related activities. If there is a large event going on, we do not fly at all. We can always come back another day. By following common sense guidelines, you will continue to be covered under AMA's insurance as an AMA member in good standing. After all, even under the best of circumstances and intentions, accidents can and do happen.

Public Parks - The same guidelines listed for schools would apply for public parks as well. Some parks can have nice, wide open spaces for smaller RC aircraft commonly referred to as "Park Flyers". These smaller aircraft are meant for wide open places like parks, however the same general rule applies for Park Flyers as with any other RC aircraft. If the park is full of people, it would be best not to fly. However, if there is an open area void of people, it would be acceptable to fly there as long as your flight path is limited to this vacant area of open space.

Undeveloped Public Land - Think of those future retail or home developments that begin with paved roads but construction has yet to begin. This is usually wide open, unobstructed land available for months or even longer. These are IDEAL places to fly for obvious reasons. They are almost always deserted, void of other people or obstructions. In other words, a perfect place to fly!

However, as with everything else, common sense and safety practices always apply. You always want to treat flying your RC aircraft with respect as you never know who or what could enter your flying area at any moment.

By following best safety practices and common sense, not only will you enjoy the thrills and excitement the RC flying hobby can bring, as an AMA member, you can be guaranteed of up to $2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection in the unlikely event a serious accident occurs.

Here's to safe and happy landings!


https://www.motionrc.com/blogs/motio...things-to-know
Nov 05, 2019, 07:35 PM
Registered User
exf3bguy's Avatar
Worse case AMA is limited to Club and competitive guys only. This would still be enough to keep AMA alive after some spending adjustments. AMA is going to survive.
Nov 05, 2019, 07:44 PM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
franklin_m's Avatar
The cold hard facts are that the AMAs membership revenue, the overwhelming source of their funds, has been falling nearly every year for the last decade and a half or more. This is based on AMA IRS 990 filings, converted to constant year dollars using US Bureau of Labor inflation calculator.

Half of each membership dollar goes to two things: staff at the HQ and the magazine. Everything else comes out of the other half, including travel, expos, and up to $1,000,000 in vague ďother expenses.Ē

Insurance, often touted as a reason for joining, is SECONDARY to all other coverage of YOURS. Your insurance pays first, and only when thatís exhausted does AMA insurance kick in. Now, If you donít have personal coverage (say homeowners or renters), that may be a deal. But If your homeowners covers (mine does, USAA), then AMAs insurance is of little value.

So to answer your question. Itís a rational economic value decision. Your AMA is required to fly at AMA charted clubs, but remember that comes at even more cost (club near me is $100 on top of AMAs $75). Thatís not insignificant if you have other places to fly - and I do.

So thatís my take on it.
Nov 05, 2019, 07:45 PM
Commander, U.S. Navy (Ret.)
franklin_m's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by exf3bguy
Worse case AMA is limited to Club and competitive guys only. This would still be enough to keep AMA alive after some spending adjustments. AMA is going to survive.

ďSomeĒ spending adjustments? Have you looked at how much they spend just on staff and the monthly rags?
Nov 05, 2019, 07:47 PM
Registered User
aeronaut999's Avatar

Just watched a close call--


Quote:
Originally Posted by elan
Not Flying at an AMA Sanctioned Flying Field? Things To Know...

Posted by Motion RC on August 03, 2016 | Category: Regulations and Safety


By following best safety practices and common sense, not only will you enjoy the thrills and excitement the RC flying hobby can bring, as an AMA member, you can be guaranteed of up to $2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection in the unlikely event a serious accident occurs.

Here's to safe and happy landings! [/I]

https://www.motionrc.com/blogs/motio...things-to-know
Today I saw a guy demolish his plane by crashing into himself, or more precisely, into his transmitter, while he was holding it, flying. Monocote fragments impaled on the joysticks.

Yikes, close call. Balsa fragments all over the ground.

At the most wide-open (and AMA-required) field you could ever imagine.

He was unhurt.

He lost his plane in the sun. Which is only possible at that time of day if you first cross well to the wrong side of the runway edge and also well to the wrong side of the fence separating the pilot flying stations from the runway.

Crap happens.
Nov 05, 2019, 08:01 PM
Registered User
elan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999
Today I saw a guy demolish his plane by crashing into himself, or more precisely, into his transmitter, while he was holding it, flying. Monocote fragments impaled on the joysticks.

Yikes, close call. Balsa fragments all over the ground.

At the most wide-open (and AMA-required) field you could ever imagine.

He was unhurt.

He lost his plane in the sun. Which is only possible at that time of day if you first cross well to the wrong side of the runway edge and also well to the wrong side of the fence separating the pilot flying stations from the runway.

Crap happens.
-Yes, crap happens. But the point I was making to the OP, is his AMA card gives him insurance to fly at places other than a flying field. He was asking about options. In my case, I have permission from a local farmer to fly my larger helis at his farm, in part, due to the AMA insurance. I also fly at other local, non-flying field spots.
Nov 05, 2019, 08:03 PM
Registered User
elan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_m
The cold hard facts are that the AMAs membership revenue, the overwhelming source of their funds, has been falling nearly every year for the last decade and a half or more. This is based on AMA IRS 990 filings, converted to constant year dollars using US Bureau of Labor inflation calculator.

Half of each membership dollar goes to two things: staff at the HQ and the magazine. Everything else comes out of the other half, including travel, expos, and up to $1,000,000 in vague ďother expenses.Ē

Insurance, often touted as a reason for joining, is SECONDARY to all other coverage of YOURS. Your insurance pays first, and only when thatís exhausted does AMA insurance kick in. Now, If you donít have personal coverage (say homeowners or renters), that may be a deal. But If your homeowners covers (mine does, USAA), then AMAs insurance is of little value.

So to answer your question. Itís a rational economic value decision. Your AMA is required to fly at AMA charted clubs, but remember that comes at even more cost (club near me is $100 on top of AMAs $75). Thatís not insignificant if you have other places to fly - and I do.

So thatís my take on it
.
-Thanks for clear that up! I had no idea what your position was regarding the AMA.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion RC UAS Hobby Future with FAA/AMA kneesaknockin Model Aircraft & Drone Advocacy 41 Oct 31, 2019 07:09 PM
Discussion The AMA and the Future of RC jermo AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) 2 Jul 30, 2007 05:09 PM
Discussion AMA, DIY, and the Future Padesatka DIY Electronics 46 Apr 20, 2006 09:31 AM
the future of the AMA Eljimb0 AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) 13 May 01, 2005 09:59 AM