Nov 05, 2019, 01:53 AM
Thread OP
Rant

Thinking of Selling or Giving Away My Fleet...

Air delivery when you need it. (1 min 31 sec)

UBER AIR: Delivering Uber Eats with Drones | Uber Elevate | Uber (3 min 23 sec)

FAA jumping through hoops for the Food Delivery Industry, infrastructure and Google/Alphabet...NOT THE AMA!!! $$$$$$$
Last edited by kneesaknockin; Nov 06, 2019 at 11:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2019, 01:54 AM
Thread OP
It's a Bird, It's a Plane...It's BNSF - Rail Talk (0 min 30 sec)
Nov 05, 2019, 01:56 AM
Thread OP
This Registration, taking Tests, and Remote ID...

I just ain't worth it to me anymore. $$$$AMA, FAA, Flight School, Club Fee's, Remote ID, Altimeters, etc., etc.$$$$

I will post my fleet at a later date. Its going to take a while to photo everything.

I don't want to, but, this IS my final option.

Watching and waiting, ranting and complaining, kicking and screaming, hoping its all a bad dream.
Last edited by kneesaknockin; Nov 06, 2019 at 11:43 AM.
Nov 05, 2019, 06:26 AM
Unfortunately, the fixed wing portion of the hobby will be like the stock market crash that we experienced in the past. It will be the RC fixed wing airplane market crash of 2020. Where there will be only sellers and no buyers. I've already had no choice but to give away a dozen or so airplane outfits and large box of engines and parts. I had as many airplanes that were given to me because the relatives of the previous owner's only choice was to either throw everything in the trash or find someone who would take everything off of their hands for free.
Nov 05, 2019, 06:41 AM
Your life, your choice. Each to his own. Can't say I agree, and definitely plan to keep my wings in the air. Safely and legally.
Nov 05, 2019, 07:30 AM
AMA is losing $$$$$$$ annually and needs new members dues money. Now with all the new proposed regulations, it's going to be that much harder to get them. I have to tell potential members that they have to join a club, spend several hundred dollars for their equipment, pay for club, AMA, FAA, dues and possibly take a test in the future. Worse, flight instruction is not guaranteed. Don't think many will sign up and many beginners who already belong to clubs may be ready to throw in the towel. I've had many beginners tell me that they've been trying to earn their solo wings for years and gave up trying. They want to sell their gear but can't find any buyers. Many of those beginners had their equipment on the market for several years and priced pennies on the dollar and still can't find a buyer.
Last edited by fliers1; Nov 05, 2019 at 08:01 AM.
Nov 05, 2019, 09:56 AM
Thread OP
Copied from 'FreeWilly57' post

"AMA membership: 195,000 of that number 57,000 are under the age of 19. If that number is accurate then there are less than 140,000 'adult' (voting) AMA members. We are a minority.
Registered drone users: 770,000
FAA estimated number of drones sold in the US by 2020 (I assume that means by 1/1/2020): 7,000,000 (yes 7 million)
Controlled airspace: (generic definition) any airspace where ATC (air traffic control) is provided."

FAA - Steps in due to the 'Gap'. 200k AMA Members vs. 7 Million(drones). FAA isn't so worried about the AMA Card carrying members, its the Gap, they are concerned about.(Paraphrased from FAA, AMA Podcast)

But, yet, the Hobby itself will be the one to suffer. Regulating it out of existence.

3/4 of a Million Registered Drones or UAV's vs. 7 Million and counting purchased drones in US...6 Million reasons say otherwise...
Last edited by kneesaknockin; Nov 05, 2019 at 10:14 AM.
Nov 05, 2019, 10:50 AM
Team Futaba
You forget that for recreational sUAS a registered individual can own multiple aircraft. Still does no account for the disparity, but worth noting. I've seen some drone races at my home field where there are close to 100 pilots, each with 6 to 8 racers.

You also need to recognize that the drone sales numbers include Part 107 users.
Nov 05, 2019, 01:46 PM
If you're on the west coast, I know people who probably want your planes. I know several people here who have gone 300 miles or more for planes if they are "interesting". In fact as I was typing this, an email came in asking if I wanted to go to another swap meet! And just 30 minutes earlier, I was trying to make room to build! One of the local guys who needs planes quit the hobby in disgust when this stuff started a couple of years ago, but now he's back and reacquiring. I guess it's good to take a break now and then.
Nov 05, 2019, 02:14 PM
Keep Flying Model Aeroplanes

Thinking of Selling or Giving Away My Fleet...

Too bad you don't want to stand for the hobby but I'm sure there are other things you can do that won't have any regulations for safe participation.

If you want to you can ship everything you are giving away to me.

PM me for the address.
Nov 05, 2019, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H.
If you're on the west coast, I know people who probably want your planes. I know several people here who have gone 300 miles or more for planes if they are "interesting". In fact as I was typing this, an email came in asking if I wanted to go to another swap meet! And just 30 minutes earlier, I was trying to make room to build! One of the local guys who needs planes quit the hobby in disgust when this stuff started a couple of years ago, but now he's back and reacquiring. I guess it's good to take a break now and then.
I hear there are some clubs that have 200 members or more on the west coast, Florida and other places that has many more warmer months than other states further east. Must be nice. But of all the planes I had and have are trainers and some low wing aircraft. Apparently, no one has any interest for those planes. I see quite a few trainers FB market place priced very cheap and has been there for a long time.

Many have never been flown or it was flown a couple of times by the club instructor. I have one on there with the offer to let anyone fly before they buy or even if they say before hand they have no intention of buying. Only one reply to just ask for more info. I haven't heard from him since.

There are approximately over 1 million people within a 30 mile radius, it would seem someone would be curious enough to take me up on my offer. We have several very large and well kept flying sites that go unused in and around my area, along with thousands upon thousands of acres of open property that could be easily converted to private flying sites. A couple of local clubs have lost their flying fields or on the verge of losing them. Don't look good.
Nov 05, 2019, 03:32 PM
We currently have 170 members. We lost our field in 2009, and 1999, and sometime in 80s and sometime in the 70s. It took a couple of years to find our current field but I think it was well worth it as it is significantly better than the previous one. (Except some people who lived right by the previous field think it's too far away.)

People around here say the big clubs with lots of money are in Arizona.

As for selling planes, we did a survey of members a couple of years ago and around 5% said they used Face Book. Around 60% used RC groups. So around here, selling on a "FB market" (which I'm assuming is part of Face Book) would go unnoticed by most. Lots of people troll Craig's List for planes. Lots of swap meets in the area, and a lot of the really good stuff seems pretty much word of mouth. Of course there are many (too many?) trainers available, especially old glow trainers. A friend of mine acquired about 50 glow trainers a couple of years ago so he sold them for $5 without motor and $10 with. That may not be the "right" price, but with people doing that, I presume the market price for trainers is fairly low.

Then again, a few of us traveled a few hundred miles to buy around 30 planes from one guy. He had a lot of "interesting" stuff and many thousands of dollars were transacted in about an hour. That was all word of mouth. It all depends on what kind of stuff you have. That guy had a lot of things in like-new condition that were out of production and that people missed/wanted.
Nov 05, 2019, 04:59 PM
Around here there are so many trainers because the owners couldn't get much in the way of proper and significant instruction. These trainers sat around for years because they couldn't get rid of them. They couldn't even give them away. I spoke to many club instructors and they finally admit that they don't really like teaching, but will do so when they feel up to it. I asked them if many students quit showing up. One instructor said he wasn't all that unhappy when beginners prematurely quit the club. These instructors only teach once a week and for only 5-10 minutes per student, and then told to come back a week later. Perhaps that's why there are so many trainers on the market. The only trainer you can buy now is the foam self righting (S.A.F.E.) kind. I have LT-40s I use for training. With a large tank, I give students at least 20-30 minutes of continuous stick time. Once in while, someone comes with a foamie and teach him on that, but after, I let him fly my LT-40. He said he would rather have a glow powered trainer, but can't find a new one on the market. Some like the sound and long flight.
Nov 05, 2019, 07:41 PM
I spent 4 hours training Sunday (all one student), and our next session isn't till Thursday. I am low on students currently but this is the slow time of the year here.

By the way, many electric trainers can be loaded up with a lot more battery then they spec. My 3DHS EBT recommended a 3S 2100mah, but with 2 3S 5800 mah and parallel, I have flown it for an hour and 20 minutes and still had juice to spare. And even with all that battery it's still light and easy to fly and land.
Nov 07, 2019, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H.
I spent 4 hours training Sunday (all one student), and our next session isn't till Thursday. I am low on students currently but this is the slow time of the year here.

By the way, many electric trainers can be loaded up with a lot more battery then they spec. My 3DHS EBT recommended a 3S 2100mah, but with 2 3S 5800 mah and parallel, I have flown it for an hour and 20 minutes and still had juice to spare. And even with all that battery it's still light and easy to fly and land.
All of the electric trainers that newbies came to me with just had enough room for one 3s 2100 mah lipo. I tried to find who still carries the 3DHS EBT but all I found was the distributor is no longer in business. I do like that plane. I use a Sig EP-42 and love the way it flies. Too bad Sig can't get those anymore.

All the hobby needs are many thousands more dedicated instructors like us. People seem to want to blame anything else but the fact that there just aren't enough readily available and capable flight instructors. Imagine if every club had someone like you teaching on a daily basis. Yeah, I know, it's just a fantasy, but something like that would grow the hobby in a hurry. Horizon hobby RC Flight School has something that is going in the right direction, but it may be a much too little, much too late.

Quick Reply