Nov 03, 2019, 05:20 PM
Radio failure, my arse!
Thread OP
Build Log

Herr Engineering F4U Corsair RC conversion

So this is a new build, a bit of a diversion from another kit I have on the go. This Herr F4U kit has been in the build queue lineup for a few years now. The goal is to build a 4 channel model that could potentially be an indoor flyer, but the main goal is for a nice lite weight Sunday evening flyer that can be flown at my home air field. After reading through a couple of previous build threads there are ideas I have come up with to hopefully make this model a bit more robust than its rubber powered original design. The radio gear will consist of two sub micro servos wing mounted for the aileron, and two micro for R/E. Power will be through a HURC Blue Wonder 300 motor. No landing gear, this will be a belly flopper. I'm going to attempt my first covering using Polyspan on this build. The wing spar which seems to be a weak point based on what I've read of other builds will get a plywood reinforcing plate through the center section of the spar, and also some webbing over the outer spar cutouts. A removable wing and possibly a hatch between the cockpit and F6 former.
Last edited by Rem Fodder; Nov 03, 2019 at 05:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2019, 12:37 AM
Built a few Herr kits and have wanted to build this one, having never built a Corsair. Used the same motor with somewhere around an 8" prop on my last Cessna CR2 racer build (might have been one of my old cut down specials). Used 3s, but I could see 2s being fine for the Herr kit, as it flew well at reduced power at nearly 13oz on a similar sized model. Probably could use a lower power lighter motor with weight mounted forward and lightweight covering. The Gee Bee was fast on a geared IPS BL, and the Pitts was reasonable on a brushed/geared 180. Used the Blue Wonder on my last build with tail ballast of all things, since it was what I had on hand.
Would almost be tempted to use one of those FMS 4-blade props on the Corsair. Not long ago it was difficult to find stuff like that, and the LHS keeps a bunch in stock.
Nov 04, 2019, 01:58 AM
Big gov never Works
Hi Rem, I used Poly Span on the Bosley 30" P-40. Build begins here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ded-%29/page28 At the time I was using the Poly Span from Fly2build. The product is not the lightest grade available. And does not have a very good shiny side. I then tried the original product from Starline, purchased at Retro RC. This is the original FAI poly tissue. Light, good side is very evident, and only two coats of lacquer to seal. And no fuzzies sticking up. About half the finished weight of the other.

But, even with the heavier poly span, the P-40 flew great.

Fuzz
Nov 04, 2019, 09:57 AM
Summit Model Aeronautics
Always wanted to build a Corsair. I'm along for the ride...

Steve
Nov 04, 2019, 10:33 AM
Nov 04, 2019, 12:52 PM
Radio failure, my arse!
Thread OP
Thanks for following along all. Work progresses on the wing today. First thing to do was cut a 1/64" thick ply lamination to fit the center section of the spar where the wood is solid. It's visible in the first set of photos posted. The rib notches were kissed lightly with a sanding flat to accommodate the extra thickness of the ply plate. The spar is definitely stiffer in the torsional and bending moments, shear shouldn't be an issue either. I will add some additional stiffening components as the build progresses. It's a tricky wing to construct as the wing is not built directly over the plans. The ribs do not necessarily line up over the drawings. A lot of time and a light touch are needed to assemble. There is a jig which locates over the plans to which the ribs are pinned to. I'm doing a LOT of measuring and squaring to try and keep the wing components lined up. Will do the ailerons once the wing is assembled and glued up. The little Blue Arrow S02510 servos are lite and low profile, should be ideal for this part of the build.
Nov 04, 2019, 12:55 PM
Radio failure, my arse!
Thread OP
The Poly Span I have is the original stuff, rough one side, shiny the other. My thoughts were to do a RN or RCN temperate sea scheme finish.
Nov 04, 2019, 01:30 PM
Balsa Lover
Nice subject! I’ve done a couple of Herr conversions myself, the Fokker D.VII and the Bonanza are still among my favorite planes.
Nov 04, 2019, 01:48 PM
Radio failure, my arse!
Thread OP
After this one the Herr Stearman is on the list. There is also a couple Dumas kits in the queue, the Tritle designed Dragon Rapide, WACO and the Dumas Sparrowhawk. Enough to keep me busy for a few winters.
Nov 04, 2019, 01:52 PM
The pin-vice has run off again
I'm sure as you are working through that lot, the list will still get longer.
Looking forward to following this build
Vicky
Nov 04, 2019, 02:21 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Don't know if you checked the 'Similar Threads' list, but it shows a couple of threads --

Funbuild 2 - Herr Engineering F4U Corsair

Herr Engineering F4U-1 Corsair Conversion

They are both a little old, but may contain something useful.

Nov 04, 2019, 04:41 PM
Summit Model Aeronautics
You could always do Hammy Gray's Corsair...

Steve
Nov 04, 2019, 05:10 PM
Radio failure, my arse!
Thread OP
I'm also considering Grays F4U too. Be nice to do honor to a VC recipient.

Hi Vicky. Thanks for dropping in. Promise I will try to kick this project along in a more timely fashion. This wing is fiddly. The construction is simple enough, just trying to get everything aligned while it's elevated is a real challenge. Almost have all the parts fitted.

Those threads are good reads, read both of them before starting this build. That's where I learned the spar is somewhat vulnerable to damage.
Nov 04, 2019, 08:01 PM
Or current resident
Good choice. Herr kits convert well. I did the Bonanza. That wing does look fiddly to get everything lined up.
Your equipment choice is spot on for this one too. I'm going to miss the HURC motors...
The 4 blade prop would be cool, but you might need a bit more battery.
Nov 04, 2019, 10:07 PM
Radio failure, my arse!
Thread OP
Hi Glen, yeah this wing is a real test of dexterity and finesse. In other words, don't let sleeves or arms get in the way of fragile elevated wing tips......... The wing is pretty much complete save for the top stringers and the install of the ailerons. Not sure I could recommend any advice for the build other than it is much harder to put together than it looks. I'd be inclined to say build it in sections on the flat, but the instructions clearly say that parts will not line up to the drawing while the wing is elevated. Saying that, laying it flat would clearly show there is an error with component alignment. Looking at the drawings, they appear to be more for reference than anything else.

Quick Reply