Nov 03, 2019, 11:50 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Mini plank wing

My first attempt at a hot wire cut wing. I cut the wing, cut in the elevons and built a little plane around it. Thats pretty much my second attempt and it was the left over foam. I looked what I had left and penned a reflex airfoil, made the templates out of cardboard from a box of soda cans.

It took a little bit of trial and error to hit the cg and this flight was also the test after another adjustment. I think I'll leave it here as its doing very good now.

When I get a chance I'll post a pic or 2 and an explanation of the fancy home made radio controlled hot wire cutter.........

Hotwire cut mini Plank Greg006 (7 min 1 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2019, 03:05 PM
skumgummi dave
Gregco10:

Well done sir. Great little plank! Thanks for the video.

Dave-
Nov 03, 2019, 05:29 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Dave! ...This is the bow. It's actually radio controlled, for some reason I was not able to get the vintage Tekin brushed esc to play nice with the servo tester. It works well from the radio and is set up as a model with the neutral trim thats a little advanced. The Flysky receiver links instantly and the esc turns on and off with the esc's switch.

The wire gets to the proper temp quickly and the esc stays cool. It runns on a fully charged 3s 2200mah taped to the handle. Depending on how crazy I get with cutting foam I may make a battery mount and install terminals for the heavy wires. Right now the wires are just twisted to the eyes.

Name: 20191103_171555.jpg
Views: 31
Size: 6.19 MB
Description:
Nov 03, 2019, 06:56 PM
skumgummi dave
Wowser! Very ingenious.

Dave-
Nov 05, 2019, 12:26 PM
flyin' fool
Fly SMALL, have a BALL …………………………..
Nov 05, 2019, 03:56 PM
Jim
Very cool. Good work sir!
Nov 05, 2019, 04:45 PM
Thread OP
Thanks gentlemen! Yes small is the way to go for regular flying as far as what I can do. As for my club fields, we have about 4 options, but I have to plan ahead to go. 1 needs to have a controller present so you have to judge when to go. The other needs at least a spotter since its in controlled airspace so I have to plan to go when others will be there or bring a friend. The other is a "no rules field" but is about a 1/2 hour drive, it is also by the ocean so the wind is always a factor. These little planes are ideal for the 4 oversize ball fields near me. As long as I go when no one is around and don't bother anyone I am generally good. Most of the time I dont think anyone even knows I'm there.

Quick Reply