Nov 08, 2019, 09:37 PM
War Eagle!
Well, there is a difference between the "What I would like to get done" and the "What will probably get done" lists...

I need to finish building out my 'new' work space so I actually have room to work. Once that's done, I've got a few things I'd like to do in no particular order:
-Repair Vista 2m (cracked tail group)
-Repair BoT (cracked rudder)
-Repair and glider piggy back conversion for Avistar trainer (likely electric)
-Repair and piggy back/tow plane conversion for Arrow trainer (likely electric)
-Stiffen wing and add magnet mod to PZ Ka8
-Transition Vista Grande to new FrSky radio w/ telemetry
-Convert Rascal 40 to electric w/ tow release
-Build the new Phoenix 3.5m Kb8
-Build the 93" Super Sinbad for r/c and aerotow

I think I'll be happy if I get my work area setup finally and 2 or 3 of these done...
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2019, 08:06 AM

Put that Ladder Away :)

Some of those 2 M new world planes are a good choice for first time builders, as they are well done, plans are clear and parts accuracy is well considered.

Though I still believe for the beginner, those learning the in and outs of sailplane flying, a new Old Stock Airtronics OLY II kit is better suited especially for the flying conditions a lot of us face.

MY new for 2020 BoT has a fuse well started, and I have ribs for the wings.

Need to clear up a piece of gyproc in my Build Parlour to keep at this.

Sometimes there's not enough table !

I'd love to hear how a first time Builder of a Slite does with the Build, and initial flights ?

whacker
in the snow covered Waughs River Valley
Nov 11, 2019, 09:34 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Got to finish off the RaySER, then likely will build the Mirage I picked up at a swap meet yesterday. That will get the power system from a Radian.

Also need to complete the e-Sagitta resurrection project and 1-2 new power planes (one might even be glow powered)
Nov 11, 2019, 12:28 PM
I need another sailplane like I need a hole in the head. But, I have the first sailplane I ever built, my 30 year old Oly 650 that has been used and abused and patched and repaired over the years until now it looks like an old quilt. I think I'm going to strip it down and try to return her to her former glory.

Here's how both of us looked back in the day...
Nov 11, 2019, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderJim
I need another sailplane like I need a hole in the head. But, I have the first sailplane I ever built, my 30 year old Oly 650 that has been used and abused and patched and repaired over the years until now it looks like an old quilt. I think I'm going to strip it down and try to return her to her former glory.

Here's how both of us looked back in the day...
But it looks cool that way!!!
Nov 11, 2019, 08:45 PM
who has rabbit ears down
That's right Sparrow! the best looking Oly 650 I ever saw had unsanded LE's, lots of skotch tape markers, and wood leaking through the covering on the nose! Keep her that way G Jim!
Latest blog entry: My "Kubiak" Collection
Nov 12, 2019, 05:26 AM
Good Day M dickey

Not a new Build but my decades old classic 900 needs some new covering. THis is an Older Picture, so there are some larger patches already and I have since lost some of the text.

what would you reckon I use for a color scheme, on one of these sought after planes.

No , it's not for sale, go buy a Kit in the for sale section

whacker
in the dark waughs river valley
Nov 13, 2019, 05:24 PM
Building a 1.5M hand/bungee launch glider designed by Larry Jolly back in the 1980s called the Flinger.

I changed the one-piece wing to 3 pieces and designed the tail to come off so the whole thing will fit in a 6"x7"x31" foamboard box. I'm also using this model to try out pull-spring controls and covering with "Doculam" laminating film (painted orange on the glue side before covering).

So far it's going pretty well - should end up about 8.5 ounces RTF.

- Mike
Nov 17, 2019, 07:25 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Great job there Mike! One of "sleeping favorites"
Latest blog entry: My "Kubiak" Collection
Nov 21, 2019, 04:47 PM

Evolution 2.5

Just today I received an Evolution v tail 2.5M glider from Art Hobby. Very cool. I will be flying it a lot in early spring. Mostly thermals, some slopes. It is a beautiful kit. Some patches and repairs on older birds, but I may get real addicted to Art Hobby stuff. I was a boatbuilder for half my life, so I really like those wood wings, and the precision of their stuff. Somewhat exited about this glider. Cautiously enthusiastic, if there is such a thing. I may end up with another one completed for the spring. Perhaps a 1.5 meter sloper, also from Art Hobby, beefed up a bit for the bigger hills down south. I live in north-central Washington, near......absolutely nothing at all. Well.....Canada, I guess.
Last edited by FeatherKnife; Nov 21, 2019 at 04:58 PM. Reason: additional text
Nov 21, 2019, 07:11 PM

Original Gnome

Hope to build an original (60" span) Gnome and finish it like my 3 meter version.
Dec 03, 2019, 06:51 PM

Challenger progress

Well - down to the internals and finishing, covering. Still a bit to go.... but the radio equipment fits!
Dec 03, 2019, 08:28 PM
Just completed blocking out the wings on a Red Merle 8. Life just wasn;t complicated enough!
Dec 05, 2019, 09:39 AM
I'm rebuilding my 40 year old Paragon for the second time. This time, it will be electric and have the tail shown on the plans.
Dec 05, 2019, 09:46 AM
Love the Green Eco clothsline.

Nice Picture, I lightened it up

whacker

Quick Reply