This thread is privately moderated by kneesaknockin, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 01, 2019, 08:55 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Why many Drone(UAV) Pilots are NOT in the AMA

Years ago, way before the Quad, drone, multi-rotor or UAV what ever you wish to call it. Back then they weren't even dreamed of. The AMA(Academy of Model Aeronautics) was the CBO(Club Based Organization) main organizational body. Known mostly for their AMA Magazine, Clubs, Sanctioned Fields, Sanctioned Events and Accident Insurance. Where only AMA card caring pilots could fly, usually with a nominal fee. I enjoy watching others fly at these Sanctioned Events. Like the Big Boys, or the Big Money Flyers. I, personally, don't like flying with a lot of spectators. Nor, with a lot of aircraft in the air at once. Makes me nervous. Now, back in the day, friends of mine would gather at fields around my state. Camping and having fun, enjoying each others company. And getting to fly at some awesome flying sites. Now, these were mostly fixed wing flying sites, some would allow helicopters. To my amazement, some sites were strictly 'Fixed Wing', some wouldn't allow 3D and others, anything goes. It just depended on the Club.

Now, today, with the advent of the Quad, I will call it. Everything has changed, everything. Along with the progress of technology and the Smart phone, things have changed tremendously. Here lies the problem, tech is moving faster than bureaucracy. Many like my brother(techies) bought drones like the DJI Phantom to advance their repertoire. He can't fly it, it pretty much flies itself, along with the smart phone, he just toggles the buttons and off it flies, returning safely to the ground. Here is, where I believe, the AMA is loosing the battle. Most common quad users are not pilots, they are just users of an automated technology. These quads can fly just about anywhere. Unlike a fixed wing pilot, whom has to know how to fly, because it will NOT fly itself. A fixed wing plane must fly in a very large open area, due to the glide pattern. Planes must bleed off speed, unless its a 3D plane, and that's a whole different story. I see a split. Many of the quad pilots feel alienated. A lot of the old school RC pilots don't want anything to do with the quad. Many could not fly the quad. I have trouble myself, telling the front from the back is the kicker for me. Its like the older generation and the younger generation are at odds. So, if the younger generation can fly their quad just about anywhere. Why would they travel to an AMA Sanctioned Airfield or Event. What benefit is the AMA to this newer generation?

I, too, am no longer an AMA(Academy of Model Aeronautics) card carrying member. I fly on 3 different private airfields, where the owners are nice enough to let me fly. I fly at my own risk. Any accidents that occur, I am liable for. But these fields are 80+ acres, so if something happens, it most likely, only concerns me.
Last edited by kneesaknockin; Nov 02, 2019 at 06:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2019, 09:55 PM
Thread OP
What concerns me is, the fact, that the FAA has grouped all models, their term UAV(Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) together in one basket. Divided into two subsections, Commercial or Recreational.
Commercial requires a written test, which, to me is a bit overboard. Testing questions that pertain mostly to Full Scale FAA ruled aircraft. Consisting of weather patterns, aeronautical maps, etc...
Recreational, as of today, doesn't require a FAA administered test. But, In my opinion, that may change in the future. Then, we have the proposed Remote ID system. This is where the UAV sends out a beacon of sorts, broadcasting information to anyone with the receiving App., using a Smart Phone or Computer. Identifying the UAV user. I am not quite sure if both commercial and recreational will require this addition or not. But, seems to me, that this is the FAA's whole intention, is to know whom that pilot really is. Friend or Foe. Now, if I am the bad guy, and I am not. Would I want to plaster my identity all over the airwaves? Absolutely Not! Hence the law breaking Terrorists.
Last edited by kneesaknockin; Nov 03, 2019 at 12:07 PM.
Nov 01, 2019, 09:56 PM
Thread OP
FPV(First Person View)Racing Quads & Long Distance FPV Aircraft
Last edited by kneesaknockin; Nov 03, 2019 at 11:47 AM.
Nov 03, 2019, 12:09 PM
Thread OP
Fixed Wing Model Aircraft(Small to Giant Scale)

Quick Reply