This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 07, 2019, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
I suggest we go back to Pasadena

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasade...vention_Center

Get rid of all that horrible swapmeet junk that inevitably degrades the show. In January, when it often rains. And have again free street parking, for those willing to walk.
But then you lose all the vendors who can't make it out in January because they're doing inventory from the Christmas season. And you can't have outdoor flying and demos, because it's raining. And getting rid of the swap meet, you negate income for booth spaces. Let's be honest, a good portion of the people who come trying to sell their swap meet stuff don't make their money back on the booth, but it means money coming in for the show runners...

Now, Coachella would be a great location to have this go on, at least for flying; that said, it gets hotter than Hades during the summer, and there's little to no shade out there. There's also a lot of music festivals that go on at Coachella during the beginning and end of the year, which makes planning such an event even more difficult - how do you pull off a large scale event that is at a high demand location? Knowing that it's high demand, it ain't gonna be cheap to rent it out. It's a good idea, but I don't know if we can pull it off with the numbers that have been turned over for the last few events.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2019, 09:01 AM
Good by AMA Expo.
And if the FAA has it's way good by to UAV modeling.
In the future we will only have control line and indoor flying models.
Remotely controlled aircraft will be considered too hazardous and difficult to regulate when people with bad intentions use them for evil.

I hope not but its the way its headed
Nov 08, 2019, 10:22 AM
D1 AVP AMA Foundation Board
Nope.
Latest blog entry: New Toughjets ducted fan jet
Nov 08, 2019, 12:42 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
For comparison, this is what the AMA West show looked like ten years ago (2010) ...

Many many vendors were (and still are) local or at least relatively close by (Neu Motors, Hacker, Thunderpower etc)

Btw, in twenty years I never went to a single flying event at the AMA show. Never saw the point of that, except maybe for helis.

Nov 08, 2019, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpea 43
Good by AMA Expo.
And if the FAA has it's way good by to UAV modeling.
In the future we will only have control line and indoor flying models.
Remotely controlled aircraft will be considered too hazardous and difficult to regulate when people with bad intentions use them for evil.

I hope not but its the way its headed
Good by or good bye? Ya got me so confused!
Nov 08, 2019, 06:59 PM
as in buhhh bye!

And he's right, it's done and gone now.
Nov 12, 2019, 12:34 PM
AeroDan
Bummed I never got to attend (AMA-Expo West). But apparently, I didn’t REALLY miss much. You pay $7-$20 parking, & $11-$15 admission. That’s JUST to get your foot in the door. Then, there’s all these vendors, with $2K-$5K, 1/4-1/3 scale models I couldn’t afford (I’m married), or have room for (stay married). So, basically, it’s a GOOD event to introduce little kids to the hobby. PERIOD.
Nov 13, 2019, 04:59 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Guys
Pics 16 —BF109, that looks like the original CMP , any info ?
The jet in pic 20 , any info ?
Are these pics suppliers or local modelers ?
Thanks
Lou
I went to this AMA event a few years back , unfortunately it was already trending down !
Nov 13, 2019, 10:31 PM
Terry Dunn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
Does anybody know the manufacturer of this Corsair II? Is it just a weathered foamie, or is that glass?
That is Chris Wolfe's (The RC Geek) A-7, built from the Jet Hangar Hobbies fiberglass kit. He just won scalemasters with it.
Nov 14, 2019, 09:31 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
great pics herb! man.....that's my jhh cougar in the jhh both in 2010....I forgot I let larry take it there hahaha.
Nov 14, 2019, 12:26 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
Does anybody know the manufacturer of this Corsair II? Is it just a weathered foamie, or is that glass?
Yes as he said above I believe that's the JHH Corsair II :

Nov 14, 2019, 12:29 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
Guys Pics 16 —BF109, that looks like the original CMP , any info ? The jet in pic 20 , any info ? Are these pics suppliers or local modelers ? Thanks Lou ... I went to this AMA event a few years back , unfortunately it was already trending down !
Yes Lou in 2010 that was a CMP Bf-109E on the Nitroplanes stand ... Very good looking albeit a bit on the heavy side . Should have bought it right there and then

https://www.nitroplanes.com/cmpmebf10h12.html

Last edited by Herb; Nov 14, 2019 at 12:38 PM.
Nov 14, 2019, 12:35 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
... The jet in pic 20 , any info ? ...
Lou those are (if I understand you correctly) all ~2010 Banana Hobby (ie Starmax Blitzworks etc. beer cooler foam) edf jets ...

Pictures taken all the the Banana Hobby stand, most were on sale.

BH is now out of business. BH's Pete as the the 2019 AMA show, seemingly just roaming around

Nov 15, 2019, 06:25 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Hi Herb
Thanks for the info buddy , I missed the 2010 comment ( public school edgy-cation ) lol !
I had the CMP BF109 with spinner, sierra retracts and afternoon market TyBrown spinner ( sold it for a pretty penny ) now regret it !
Interesting about BH, I just purchased some spare parts for the LX P40 ( BlitzRc-BHs name for LX ) . I guess they are simply selling old stock ect.
I had some online battles with Pete but shook his hand in person at one of the Cali expos and we had a great chat . Alex had joined the company and was very good at customer service and active in the RCG threads. Its sad to see so many companies including the great Legends Models disappear !
I hope someday we see a circle of trend back in favor of the hobby .
Nov 15, 2019, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
Lou those are (if I understand you correctly) all ~2010 Banana Hobby (ie Starmax Blitzworks etc. beer cooler foam) edf jets ...

Pictures taken all the the Banana Hobby stand, most were on sale.

BH is now out of business. BH's Pete as the the 2019 AMA show, seemingly just roaming around

When did BH go out of business? They are very much still in businesses...even selling turbines now.

Quick Reply