This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2019, 07:35 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
More miscellaneous stuff ... Jun Lin of Roaring Top (RT) batteries was there, 20% show discount ...

Nov 02, 2019, 04:02 PM
Expo West was quite disappointing this year. The swapshop yesterday was half the size last year AND the number one Sponsor HobbyKing flaked out and cancelled a week before the show!

Hope they do a better job for our friends on the east coast.

Sad.
Nov 02, 2019, 07:58 PM
D1 AVP AMA Foundation Board
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missiletm
Expo West was quite disappointing this year. The swapshop yesterday was half the size last year AND the number one Sponsor HobbyKing flaked out and cancelled a week before the show!

Hope they do a better job for our friends on the east coast.

Sad.
There is no more "east coast"....and this was the last Expo West...at least in that location. All of the events have contracted. As have most events in general. For many reasons.

Some great pics though!
Latest blog entry: New Toughjets ducted fan jet
Nov 02, 2019, 10:33 PM
I wish I could could have gone to the swap shop. The only day I can to the show is tommorow (Sunday). And I don't think I have time to go all day unfortunately.
Nov 02, 2019, 11:45 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Unfortunately, seemed like the last swansong for this event ...

Bad location, overpriced parking ... miserable vendor representation ... poor attendance. Way too much swapmeet junk that almost nobody cares about.

Yes I did wonder what happened to Hobbyking ... I guess the smelled the rat.

They need to scale it down to just a vendor display, with reduced costs, free parking and preferably again 1-st week of January.

Nov 03, 2019, 12:11 AM
Micro all the flying things!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
A few pictures I took today, Friday 1st Nov. 2019 ... The shows seems to have shrunk a bit in size, not what it used to be ...
Herb: Thank you for the wonderful and voluminous pictures!

What’s the story behind that absolutely insane multi-row lineup of vintage radios? Makes the museum in Muncie look like amateur hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogosi
There is no more "east coast"....and this was the last Expo West...at least in that location. All of the events have contracted. As have most events in general. For many reasons.
Rogosi: That’s too bad to hear!

That being said, flying events like SEFF, Nall, and Flite Fest do give me hope that RC model aircraft flying is alive and well. If forced to choose, I would also favor a flying event (ideally with vendor booths) over a static indoor event any day.
Nov 03, 2019, 10:03 AM
word is that this is the last west coast AMA show. Just not enough vendors which drives the interest. I have been going since 1994. the few years it's been on the downhill and I think a lot of were hoping it would recover. instead the number of vendors continues to contract. oh well.
Nov 03, 2019, 11:50 AM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm
... What’s the story behind that absolutely insane multi-row lineup of vintage radios? ...
To fill up space that otherwise would have been just a black and white wall

Vendors will come if the conditions are right Overcharging them, in the hope of then making up by overcharging visitors like me won't work

Also the weather was perfect ... I remember those early January days in Pasadena (free parking on many city streets btw) when it was raining outside ...
Nov 03, 2019, 02:08 PM
D1 AVP AMA Foundation Board
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
To fill up space that otherwise would have been just a black and white wall

Vendors will come if the conditions are right Overcharging them, in the hope of then making up by overcharging visitors like me won't work

Also the weather was perfect ... I remember those early January days in Pasadena (free parking on many city streets btw) when it was raining outside ...
No, vendors won't just show up. They just aren't anymore, it's not worth it. And just out of curiosity what do you think is overcharging? Should the AMA just suck up the cost of the venue and not charge anybody?

The internet is one of the single largest reasons why these events are not drawing people the way they used to. People show up and look at all the items they go home and buy them on Amazon or Ebay or directly to China. And let's face it some of the vendors show up and take $10 off their list price and wonder why nobody is buying their stuff. I don't know how the swap shop was out west but it was never that great at the WRAM show here in the east. People want a top dollar for junk.

It's tough all around.
Latest blog entry: New Toughjets ducted fan jet
Nov 03, 2019, 05:09 PM
Chicken/egg. Fewer modelers, fewer vendors.

Quick Reply