Nov 01, 2019, 06:13 PM
deh
deh
Thread OP
Discussion

Sagitta XC Build

So I am getting everything together to build my XC. Called Sig today to get some wood for the sheeting on the wings and am being told there is a shortage of balsa in some of the lighter weights. So here is my question, any reason I cannot use 1/16 10# balsa for the sheeting rather a lighter 3/32 lighter weight balsa sheet.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2019, 04:22 AM
that means , Your staring with 1/3 less for all the sheeting on the d box TE etc

Personally I would try B USA or National and see If they can help.

Remember as well you do need something to sand away,

whacker
Nov 02, 2019, 04:55 PM
Balsa breaks better
And Sig wonders why I buy 100 sheets at a time . . . Weigh and sort to needs.

That being said I have built several Craft Air Vikings from scratch, the ones that came out 1 - 6 oz heavier than box claim flew better.

Even 5 oz heavier on an XC ship isn't going to be notice when spread out over that many squares as my 11 oz heavier than plan claim Airtronics Super Esprit, all 173" of her . . . ;>)

Buy a bit more than needed from whomever you choose, weigh it and use what you get accordingly, you know, heavy up front, light stuff in the back. . . ;>)

Joe

Balsa Breaks Better
Woodies Forever
Nov 02, 2019, 06:19 PM
Yes, there is a reason....the XC flys very well if it is kept light. Way to easy to get her porky and the handling goes to pot. Look around for other balsa suppliers. The only area to go heavier would be the wing joiners. Use Kevlar thread and epoxy on them.
Nov 03, 2019, 06:06 PM
deh
deh
Thread OP
Thanks guys. Appreciate the input. I will shop around some more and get the correct size. In the meantime I have a 2 meter Mini Merlin from Soarcraft I can start on. Flew the Mini Merlin back in the day and had great success with it.
Nov 22, 2019, 06:09 PM
I was gifted a complete Sagitta XC kit...two questions. How do these planes fly? Also, it's recommended to add 6" to the length of the fuselage...based on experience, where is the best place to add the additional length? Thank you in advance.
Nov 24, 2019, 04:37 PM
If it flies - I want one!

Very well, and both ends

Hi Ned,
The XC flies beautifully and was state of the cross-country art in its day.
Handling can be a challenge due to the short tail moment and basic rudder/elevator control - very easy to get it going too fast, or to get into dutch roll oscillations on the approach.
Mine lived its life basically stock, but I believe they benefit from 6" more tail length and 3" longer on the nose as well. I needed all the lead that could be stuffed in around the battery and into the ballast compartment to hit the CG.
Lengthening the fuselage on a kit build could be difficult - there are some after-market fibreglass fuselages around that would simplify the process.
Build, fly, enjoy,
Pete

Quick Reply