Nov 01, 2019, 11:19 AM
You don’t have to register the Magic Mini but you can still fly like a jerk and post the videos of your illegal flights on YouTube. So glad that got “fixed”.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2019, 12:29 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route666
You don’t have to register the Magic Mini but you can still fly like a jerk and post the videos of your illegal flights on YouTube. So glad that got “fixed”.
At just 249g, DJI is forcing the question...if safety is now a non-issue, then what is the REAL objection (if any) to these drones? We now have Military drones that weight an incredible 11g w/camera. That just shows what is possible in the future...

"Why Did DJI Create a 249-Gram Drone?"
https://content.dji.com/why-did-dji-...49-gram-drone/
Nov 01, 2019, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Skylynx
Hi!
I know it’s still early, but is there a way to fly it FPV? How? I’m not used to DJI stuff, never had time ($$$) to buy them!

So far seems really good for the price!
Same question, I'm a total dji noob. Is there an app that lets you put your phone in a vr goggle set and fly that way? I'm thinking the way parrot does it. Hdmi out options from a tablet is not that appealing though I have hdmi ready goggles.
Nov 01, 2019, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route666
It has a camera.. so you will need to register your Magic mini.

Sub 250 is a hype, just get a real man drone instead of toy-size.
Nov 01, 2019, 08:05 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade

DJI Mavic Mini Drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke
It has a camera.. so you will need to register your Magic mini.

Sub 250 is a hype, just get a real man drone instead of toy-size.

Remember that’s proposed EU and not US or UK currently.

But yes it’s class 0 non toy category if this was in law today.
Latest blog entry: HDZero Micro V3 - 1080P Is Here
Nov 01, 2019, 08:07 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
Remember that’s proposed EU and not US or UK currently.
Yeah but we are next. Count on it.
Nov 01, 2019, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA
Yeah but we are next. Count on it.
For sure.. I think.

I believe it's also UK already btw.

The point is that there is no point in "getting a Sub 250" unless you don't plan to buy / fly anything else more serious.

We will end up having to register anyway, and take the stupid online course so we can fly all the models we have / will own in the future.

There are more downsides to <250 grams to justify getting one just because you think you won't have to register.
They will always fly like a toy, no matter how well of a job DJI has done to cramp that hardware in a small package. Fact remains: bigger = better!

Don't fall for this hype!

DJI MAVIC MINI - WHY YOU SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT BUY THIS QUAD (32 min 3 sec)
Last edited by Justapoke; Nov 03, 2019 at 08:20 PM.
Nov 01, 2019, 09:14 PM
Quote:
For sure.. I think.

I believe it's also UK already btw.

The point is that there is no point in "getting a Sub 250" unless you don't plan to buy / fly anything else more serious.

We will end up having to register anyway, and take the stupid online course so we can fly all the models we have / will own in the future.

There are more downsides to <250 grams to justify getting one just because you think you won't have to register.
They will always fly like a toy, no matter how well of a job DJI has done to cramp that hardware in a small package. Fact remains: bigger = better!

Don't fall for this hype!

I think it's cool that everyone can have their say in the matter, but I completely disagree that when it comes to drones, bigger is better. I mean... really? Do you actually believe that? You might have a preference for the bigger models, but it doesn't make them better.

Bigger amounts to more weight, and more weight amounts to more liability. The damage you can cause with your 2 to 25 lbs drone will be dramatically more significant than the damage done with a drone that only weighs 249 g. And then, you've got bigger batteries to deal with, high costs, storage issues, transport issues, maintenance issues, attracting too much attention, and on and on and on...

I own and fly several drones varying in weight from only 45 g all the way to 1000 kg, and they defintely all feel different. But my biggest drone does not fly better than my lightest one... it just flies differently. Sure, wind is more of an issue with the smaller drones, but they still fly really well. I never fly the big ones anymore. The smaller ones are where the real fun is at, IMHO.

This new Mavic Mini is significant in what it brings to the table: a miniature, aerial imaging drone platform that you can carry and fly almost anywhere, without any issues with Johnny Law. What good is your 10 lbs drone if you can't even fly it legally in most places you'd care to fly it? Makes a pretty expensive paper weight, if you ask me.

I think that if you flew a sub 300 g drone that was released in the last two years, you'd be shocked by how nimble, fun and precise they feel.

I don't understand what you think the downsides are to a sub 250 g drone, for its destined use?

Legal to fly?
Easy on the wallet?
Super portable?
Will handle probably at least 80% of most people's real-world aerial imaging needs?
Not lethal if left in the wrong hands?

I don't know... this all sounds good to me, so far!

As far as pure product development is concerned, the new Mavic Mini is definitely a step in the right direction. And don't worry, it's not meant to replace the bigger models you love so much.

It's just another option (and the only legal one in its category for many people who don't want to build a custom drone) and more options are a good thing. Especially in these Orwellian times.
Last edited by Jabberwocky_; Nov 01, 2019 at 09:23 PM.
Nov 01, 2019, 09:43 PM
Are you sure you are allowed to fly a 250g drone in places you're not allowed to fky a 2kg drone? I don't think that's the case in the US at least. I believe that sub 250 you may be allowed to fly over people if props are not a danger like on a pusher plane. Wish I could remember where I read this.
Nov 01, 2019, 09:58 PM
DesertEagle
Blah blah... lots of noise.. This thing is cool and anyone saying different is a fool... the price is right as well.. amazing
Nov 01, 2019, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
Are you sure you are allowed to fly a 250g drone in places you're not allowed to fky a 2kg drone? I don't think that's the case in the US at least. I believe that sub 250 you may be allowed to fly over people if props are not a danger like on a pusher plane. Wish I could remember where I read this.

Hi there,

I believe both weight classes share the same allowances and restrictions as far as airspace is concerned, but the big issue in Canada, the UK, Australia, and many other countries (more countries are hopping on the bandwagon every year) you CANNOT even legally fly a drone over 250 g and up to and including 25 kg until you first register the drone, then pass a certification exam which is basically the equivalent of the theory portion of an actual private pilot's licence. Yeah, you'll spending a few weekeds studying for this one! This law was implemented earlier this year (in Canada anyway).

Apparently, the FAA will be adopting a similar version of this new law next year or the following year, from what I've read recently (can't remember where I read it though, sorry). It's looking like all drones over 250 g in most developped countries will eventually be grounded unless you go through this whole process, or equivalent process.

Here's a link to Transport Canada's (the FAA equivalent here in Canada) knowledge requirement for the test. Try not to fall off your chair when you see it!

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/avi.../tp-15263.html

After you've absorbed all that info, (don't forget to click on all the links in that page because there's a ton of sub-categories), you can click on the next link to select which test you'll be writing, BASIC or ADVANCED, all depending on how and where you want to fly.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/avi...rtificate.html

So yeah, HUGE investment in time!

Sub 250 g drones are looking better and better!
Nov 01, 2019, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky_
I think it's cool that everyone can have their say in the matter, but I completely disagree that when it comes to drones, bigger is better. I mean... really? Do you actually believe that? You might have a preference for the bigger models, but it doesn't make them better.

Bigger amounts to more weight, and more weight amounts to more liability. The damage you can cause with your 2 to 25 lbs drone will be dramatically more significant than the damage done with a drone that only weighs 249 g. And then, you've got bigger batteries to deal with, high costs, storage issues, transport issues, maintenance issues, attracting too much attention, and on and on and on...

I own and fly several drones varying in weight from only 45 g all the way to 1000 kg, and they defintely all feel different. But my biggest drone does not fly better than my lightest one... it just flies differently. Sure, wind is more of an issue with the smaller drones, but they still fly really well. I never fly the big ones anymore. The smaller ones are where the real fun is at, IMHO.

This new Mavic Mini is significant in what it brings to the table: a miniature, aerial imaging drone platform that you can carry and fly almost anywhere, without any issues with Johnny Law. What good is your 10 lbs drone if you can't even fly it legally in most places you'd care to fly it? Makes a pretty expensive paper weight, if you ask me.

I think that if you flew a sub 300 g drone that was released in the last two years, you'd be shocked by how nimble, fun and precise they feel.

I don't understand what you think the downsides are to a sub 250 g drone, for its destined use?

Legal to fly?
Easy on the wallet?
Super portable?
Will handle probably at least 80% of most people's real-world aerial imaging needs?
Not lethal if left in the wrong hands?

I don't know... this all sounds good to me, so far!

As far as pure product development is concerned, the new Mavic Mini is definitely a step in the right direction. And don't worry, it's not meant to replace the bigger models you love so much.

It's just another option (and the only legal one in its category for many people who don't want to build a custom drone) and more options are a good thing. Especially in these Orwellian times.
Oh I also fly anything from small whoops and micro drones up to regular to larger 3KG+ scale airplanes. I also have sub 250g airplanes but they are basically only fun to fly indoors.

With bigger = better I don't mean you have the have THE biggest one, it's just that the normal sizes always fly better. Wind is a big problem and micro size props will never perform as good.

-Legal to fly? - Basically same rules will apply. You still need to register and can't just fly everywhere you like.
Pointless in getting this if you own bigger models. You will need to do the register and online courses anyway.
Easy on the wallet? - For basically a "selfie" drone ?
Super portable? - Well you win something. But is a normal Mavic that big then? (No)
Will handle probably at least 80% of most people's real-world aerial imaging needs? - For the same or a bit more money you get 4K. Even for less.
Not lethal if left in the wrong hands? - If you want to attack people or animals than fly a Whoop. This thing is still VERY dangerous to fly around people. It will rip a eye out in a slit of a second.

Again it's fantastic they produced something under 250g but as legal rules still are basically the same I don't see why many people should buy this unless they are looking for a "selfie" drone.

Are you going to sell dump all your other drones? No? Than there's basically no real reason to get a sub 250 model unless you are looking for something that fits in the pocket of your shirt. (and that's pointless anyway 99,9% of the cases)

Maybe for someone who constant travels, for the rest.. meh.
Last edited by Justapoke; Nov 01, 2019 at 10:49 PM.
Nov 01, 2019, 11:08 PM
anyone know if the weight is with the 1100mah battery or the 2400mah battery that the specs show. i think they are weighing it with the 1100 and advertising the flight time with the 2400. anyone have a thought?
Nov 01, 2019, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Oh I also fly anything from small whoops and micro drones up to regular to larger 3KG+ scale airplanes. I also have sub 250g airplanes but they are basically only fun to fly indoors.

With bigger = better I don't mean you have the have THE biggest one, it's just that the normal sizes always fly better. Wind is a big problem and micro size props will never perform as good.

-Legal to fly? - Basically same rules will apply. You still need to register and can't just fly everywhere you like.
Pointless in getting this if you own bigger models. You will need to do the register and online courses anyway.
Easy on the wallet? - For basically a "selfie" drone ?
Super portable? - Well you win something. But is a normal Mavic that big then? (No)
Will handle probably at least 80% of most people's real-world aerial imaging needs? - For the same or a bit more money you get 4K. Even for less.
Not lethal if left in the wrong hands? - If you want to attack people or animals than fly a Whoop. This thing is still VERY dangerous to fly around people. It will rip a eye out in a slit of a second.

Again it's fantastic they produced something under 250g but as legal rules still are basically the same I don't see why many people should buy this unless they are looking for a "selfie" drone.

Are you going to sell dump all your other drones? No? Than there's basically no real reason to get a sub 250 model unless you are looking for something that fits in the pocket of your shirt. (and that's pointless anyway 99,9% of the cases)

Maybe for someone who constant travels, for the rest.. meh.

Well, my other drones aren't aerial imagery capable (unless you count my old Blade 350QX with a GoPro added to it). And that one can't be flown legally in Canada anymore, without first completing the Transport Canada's Small Advande Exam for drones.

The reason I'm eager about the Mavic Mini is because I'm looking for an accessible aerial imagery platform I can travel with in Canada and Australia, which basically share the same drone laws. I'll be travelling in Australia in December. Also, the Mavic Mini is small enough to easily fit in my bikepacking setup, a huge advantage. The smaller, the better, in this case.

And as far as the Mavic Mini being a sefie drone, you're right, it's guilty of that, but it's also so much more. But at least it seems like it will be the most competent selfie drone so far! Aside from the Skydio 2 maybe. But that's a FOLLOWMEDRONE, and we can't really compare the two, now can we? Personally, I could care less about the whole selfie thing. I'll be using mine for filming landscape, architecture and natural attractions.

Sadly, I can't fly my Vortex 180 anymore until I register it and complete the drone exam. Bah!

Time to get a toothpick racer.
Last edited by Jabberwocky_; Nov 01, 2019 at 11:42 PM.
Nov 01, 2019, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky_
Well, my other drones aren't aerial imagery capable (unless you count my old Blade 350QX with a GoPro added to it). And that one can't be flown legally in Canada anymore, without first completing the Transport Canada's Small Advande Exam for drones.

The reason I'm eager about the Mavic Mini is because I'm looking for an accessible aerial imagery platform I can travel with in Canada and Australia, which basically share the same drone laws. Also, the Mavic Mini is small enough to easily fit in my bikepacking setup, a huge advantage. The smaller, the better, in this case.
That's why I posted "Maybe for someone who constant travels"

The downside is that it does not perform that well compared to other drones that are really not THAT bigger in size.
Where taking a few cm's and just a bit more weight here.

You can't have all. You are really giving in on image quality and range. And that is a pretty big deal I think.

See my other post:

Quote:
Just watched iPhoneDo's review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRDI4DnU2PI

He's spot on saying it's not a replacement of a regular size drone.
The image quality is rather poor, 23 min flight time, lousy transmitter, poor range..

So unless you are looking for a micro "selfie" drone?

People will probably fall for all the marketing hoebla, the false hope they get on <250 (new laws) and the DJI brand name. But:
For the same money you can get the Fimi X8 with better range, 4K video and a superb transmitter. And without NFZ restrictions.
A lot better deal IMO.

Quick Reply