Thread Tools
Jan 18, 2020, 09:07 AM
Beach Bum
Steve FliesLow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkostar
That's a real shame. Did you not originally take out care refresh with them ?
I tried to buy Refresh a few days after activating but was not aware of the 48 hour requirement. Missed out.
I did purchase Refresh for the new/repaired replacement Mini that is in the mail. It has a new serial code and will require activation/binding.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2020, 09:12 AM
Registered User
stevea3342's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumer61
We have the same situation in Canada.

Lots of cities and things like Provincial Parks have total drone bans from their local levels of government. Like so many other things, too many hands in the pie and they all overlap.

Will be interesting to see what will happen with the 250 gram limit. Canada and US (and other countries) argued that anything under 250 grams couldn't cause any harm, (and didn't need regulation) yet now since we have a working under 250 gram in the Mini, hmm people are interested in looking at regulations for the sub 250 market now.
Technically, I don't think they can stop you from flying over the parks unless it is restricted airspace (especially if you have your cert). They be able (for now?) be able to stop you from launching or landing. I don't see any way a municipality can regulate airspace over parks or anything else without doing so through the FAA but what do I know. Squat.
Jan 18, 2020, 11:02 AM
Registered User
If you lose a drone and don't have the Refresh policy, will DJI sell you a new Mini without a controller?
Jan 18, 2020, 11:06 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
Technically, I don't think they can stop you from flying over the parks unless it is restricted airspace (especially if you have your cert). They be able (for now?) be able to stop you from launching or landing. I don't see any way a municipality can regulate airspace over parks or anything else without doing so through the FAA but what do I know. Squat.
You can fly over the park, just can't launch from within the park.

Although... I found several videos on You Tube last night where people had taken off from the parking lot of Seawolf Park.

Hey RGS, have you ever flown from the Texas City Dike? Looks like a lot of people do.
Jan 18, 2020, 11:07 AM
Not crashing = Not flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDH
If you lose a drone and don't have the Refresh policy, will DJI sell you a new Mini without a controller?
Maybee, but I would just buy another FMC, keep the extra batts and sell the old controller.
Jan 18, 2020, 11:10 AM
Registered User
Off topic for a minute... if I sell any of my drones how do I de-register them with DJI?

Anything else I need to do to dis-associate the drone from me?
Jan 18, 2020, 11:45 AM
Registered User
The new owner registers on their account. You don’t need to (and I am not aware of a method to) deregister it from your account. You retain access to flight info and since any issues will log against the new owner, you don’t need to worry about authorities knocking on your door.
Jan 18, 2020, 12:04 PM
Registered User
I tested some RTH features today. Wind got up and I started getting wind warnings, so called time before managing to test everything I wanted to. However, I found that:

The speed of RTH is not related at all to the mode (P, S, C) you were flying in (this makes sense and is what I expected would be the case).

Whilst in RTH, pitching forward makes no difference to speed. This is at odds with what has been reported elsewhere by some people and is different from what has been reported (and demonstrated by Dustin Dunnill in a YT video I saw) with the Mavic air. It could be that people were confusing the air and mini or just expecting it to behave the same (recall the comments about quickly pushing RTH button to stop beeping - works on Mavic air apparently, but certainly does not work on mini despite some people saying otherwise).

Whilst in RTH, pitching back causes the craft to slow and stop, then go backwards! RTH is still active and if you let off the stick, it will just start forward again. From what I could tell, any pitch back slows and stops it then causes it to reverse. So it does not seem that you could just slow the RTH to allow for a “home lock” style function. Although it might be possible to initiate RTH, fly past what you want to film, then use back pitch to reverse direction and do the cinematic shot while going in “reverse RTH”. The wind picking up meant I did not get a chance to try this, but I think you might be able to control the reverse speed, so this may work. Hopefully I will get a chance to try this tomorrow.
Jan 18, 2020, 04:54 PM
When in doubt, buzz them...
pmshop's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010
I was just poking fun...

Scissortail...I was flying on the Bolivar Peninsula, where my bro-in-law has a house right on the Intracoastal waterway, and there are isolated strips of land and islands, like Bird Island, etc, that are almost exclusively accessible by boat, or now Mavic Mini for me. There is also the far east end of the Galveston beach road that ends up over by where all the big oil tankers come into the Houston Ship Channel and I like to video some of those...also comes with lots of birds and dolphins rolling (but haven't gotten them on video yet). I would love to video off of the Bolivar Ferry but too scared the wind would come up too strong and I would have to wave goodbye to my investment.
Just be careful as not to fly within 400ft of the tankers.
While I cannot be sure they are considered "critical infrastructure", common sense says they should be.
Texas has a critical infrastructure drone law - do not fly within 400ft of power plants, major distribution lines, refineries...etc
https://statedronelaw.com/state/Texas/
Jan 18, 2020, 05:49 PM
When in doubt, buzz them...
pmshop's Avatar
Although UAV Forecast and OK To Fly said not to, I flew.
This is what happens when a pilot knows their equipment and has seen a wind drift before.
You can fly in conditions like this:
https://app.airdata.com/share/bhkZXt
And, back in one piece with the new wrap job for Mighty Mouse
Jan 18, 2020, 07:01 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro_Nick
I tested some RTH features today. Wind got up and I started getting wind warnings, so called time before managing to test everything I wanted to. However, I found that:

The speed of RTH is not related at all to the mode (P, S, C) you were flying in (this makes sense and is what I expected would be the case).

Whilst in RTH, pitching forward makes no difference to speed. This is at odds with what has been reported elsewhere by some people and is different from what has been reported (and demonstrated by Dustin Dunnill in a YT video I saw) with the Mavic air. It could be that people were confusing the air and mini or just expecting it to behave the same (recall the comments about quickly pushing RTH button to stop beeping - works on Mavic air apparently, but certainly does not work on mini despite some people saying otherwise).

Whilst in RTH, pitching back causes the craft to slow and stop, then go backwards! RTH is still active and if you let off the stick, it will just start forward again. From what I could tell, any pitch back slows and stops it then causes it to reverse. So it does not seem that you could just slow the RTH to allow for a “home lock” style function. Although it might be possible to initiate RTH, fly past what you want to film, then use back pitch to reverse direction and do the cinematic shot while going in “reverse RTH”. The wind picking up meant I did not get a chance to try this, but I think you might be able to control the reverse speed, so this may work. Hopefully I will get a chance to try this tomorrow.
If pitching forward made no difference in speed it probably meant you came home in a headwind. If I pitch forward in RTH the drone will actually fly (downwind) upto 54kmh (or about 8 above S mode). Only thing you canno alter in RTH is the drone's trajectory, everything else can be altered.

Typically when its fighting a wind whether in RTH, C or P, it will at some point automatically engage the extra powerup to the target speed, e.g. 14kmh for C, 28kmh for P. First telltale sign is when you see the remaining flight time drop dramatically or flipping into sports mode makes little to no difference in speed.
Jan 19, 2020, 02:44 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
ChrisJ800's Avatar
Had a nice flight over the famous WW2 island of Corregidor in Manila Bay Philippines, but have a few issues.

1) Im getting Compass calibration required every other flight now. Admittedly Im flying near big chunks or metal or car roofs a bit.

2) I was getting Gimbal motor overload error my last flight and gimbal started jittering. Ive just done a gimbal calibration so hope that fixes it

3) I had one flight where it decided to do a RTH as battery got low. Yet I just wanted to land it straight away but couldnt get the RTH to canx and it just wouldnt go into landing mode. In the end as I could override RTH and get it to about 5 feet up I just grabbed it and inverted it to stop it. But its annoying that my actions to land would not override the RTH.



Half day trip to Corregidor, Manila Bay, Philippines with Mavic Mini footage. (14 min 55 sec)
Jan 19, 2020, 03:23 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewb1e
If pitching forward made no difference in speed it probably meant you came home in a headwind. If I pitch forward in RTH the drone will actually fly (downwind) upto 54kmh (or about 8 above S mode). Only thing you canno alter in RTH is the drone's trajectory, everything else can be altered.

Typically when its fighting a wind whether in RTH, C or P, it will at some point automatically engage the extra powerup to the target speed, e.g. 14kmh for C, 28kmh for P. First telltale sign is when you see the remaining flight time drop dramatically or flipping into sports mode makes little to no difference in speed.
Thanks. RTH was into the wind, so that makes sense. I did note it got up to about 9 m/s briefly, but then dropped back down to the same speed I was getting with no stick input. Do you know if yaw speed would reflect the flight mode you were in prior to initiating RTH? It would be good if it did, because you may then be able to get some really nice cinematic fly bys.

I tried this out today. A quick demonstration video:

Mavic Mini Fly By (0 min 33 sec)


The flight mode does not affect yaw speed in RTH, but the yaw can be managed effectively. Slowing down the craft speed is not possible. Any back pitch input causes the craft to slow and stop in RTH. The overall effect is acceptable though (I think!). Subject matter and lighting not so great, but it was all I had to work with at the location I was using for testing.
Last edited by Nitro_Nick; Jan 19, 2020 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Add extra info
Jan 19, 2020, 09:37 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
ChrisJ800's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800
Had a nice flight over the famous WW2 island of Corregidor in Manila Bay Philippines, but have a few issues.

1) Im getting Compass calibration required every other flight now. Admittedly Im flying near big chunks or metal or car roofs a bit.

2) I was getting Gimbal motor overload error my last flight and gimbal started jittering. Ive just done a gimbal calibration so hope that fixes it

3) I had one flight where it decided to do a RTH as battery got low. Yet I just wanted to land it straight away but couldnt get the RTH to canx and it just wouldnt go into landing mode. In the end as I could override RTH and get it to about 5 feet up I just grabbed it and inverted it to stop it. But its annoying that my actions to land would not override the RTH.

Re calibrating my gimbal seemed to fix the Gimbal overload error and jittering, here is a video after the fix. Still had to calibrate compass again. Seems almost every flight Im doing this

Barretto Beach Subic Bay Philippines from Mavic Mini (1 min 45 sec)
Jan 20, 2020, 12:49 AM
Not crashing = Not flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800
Re calibrating my gimbal seemed to fix the Gimbal overload error and jittering, here is a video after the fix. Still had to calibrate compass again. Seems almost every flight Im doing this
Are you launching from the same spot?


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion DJI Mavic Mini - a 18650 powered drone? Elhungarian Multirotor Drone Talk 19 Aug 15, 2019 01:38 PM
Discussion DJI SDK Apps - Spark-P3-P4P-Mavic Pro-Air-Pro2-Inspire1 & 2-M100-M200-M600-A3-N3 MultiRotR Multirotor Drone Talk 2231 Dec 20, 2018 10:19 AM