Oct 30, 2019, 07:09 AM
Foam Fighter and a Bloody Mick
Thread OP
Discussion

Airfield lighting

I do a night flying event every year at my local airport. We spread out solar LED lights al the way around the perimeter of the airfield. We also try to set up lighted FPV gates, big ones. 2x4's with Christmas looked great, but were a real pain to move around. Then the wires get hit by prop, then the flood got them this spring. What I really want is internally lighted PVC pipe. Schedule 40 seems to thick to do the glow job that I want, and schedule 30 seems difficulty to find or acquire in 10ft lengths. I'd like to do free standing posts, not even gates, but I can't have guywires in the dark. LOL!

Does anyone have suggestions here?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2019, 05:59 AM
Thread OP
Well, I went to my local smalltown hardware store with some LED's. They had to order from a supply house, but today I'll be getting 8ft T12 fluorescent bulb guards. Its a clear plastic tube that goes around 8ft fluorescent bulbs in harsh environments. 8ft = 9 dollars. Its REALLY clear though, so I have concerns about it being useful by day. I may need to haze it with sandpaper, or dust it with spraypaint. Glow in the dark paint?
I might also try a piece of 4 inch schedule 30 drain pipe. It appeared to let a fair amount of light through. I should be able to screw an end cap to a piece of plywood to make it stand up. photos to come, once tested. 10 feet for 10 bucks.
Nov 01, 2019, 08:22 AM
Thread OP

Schedule 30 drain pipe is awesome!

Solar led rope lights inside a fluorescent tube, look pretty decent. RGB ribbon lights inside 4" diameter schedule 30 pipe is AMAZING!!!!

Quick Reply