This thread is privately moderated by jb33062, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 30, 2019, 01:01 AM
Trader Rating: 65
Village Idiot
Thread OP
$12,345.00 USD
Will not ship
For Sale

Can anyone identify this?

Got this from a friend who bought it some years ago. We call it "the Jenny" since there's a resemblance, but as you can see in the top view, it's no Jenny. Not a Canuck or Lincoln Standard or any of the usual suspects. Don't even know if it's scale; it looks like it but then again that horizontal is huge. The wings were built double-bay, but the inner struts were never installed. Has a 67" span, and is quite light; whoever built it knew his stuff. Was originally glow, and the gunk in the crevices was pretty old, so I'm thinking 80s or earlier. Covering matches with Antique Solartex. I'm converting it back to glow, a Saito .62 just fits under the cowl. Most of the work has involved undoing the electric conversion, which was pretty rough.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2019, 09:45 AM
Trader Rating: 134

Jenny ?

Looks like a vintage Aerodrome Models Curtiss Jenny to me. Awesome kits and very good flyers.

Several past kits/ planes listed in this forum ... Search it!
Oct 30, 2019, 09:45 AM
Trader Rating: 5
Looks like a bashed Lazy ace 76" from Chuck Cunningham
Oct 30, 2019, 09:53 AM
Trader Rating: 0
slightly modified Golden Oldie
Oct 30, 2019, 09:56 AM

ID bipe

original Golden Oldie
Oct 30, 2019, 11:37 AM
Trader Rating: 114
Fuselage is a Jenny, not an Aerodrome kit though and the horiz. stab is way too big.
I believe this was a guesswork plane. Wings??? Jenny had top aileron only and were more narrow and longer. These wings are actually closer to Sopwith wings, modified, of course.
All in all keep calling it a Jenny, not 100% Jenny, but closer to that than anything else!!
John
Oct 30, 2019, 12:41 PM
Its some type of de havilland moth.... I didn't research the kit maker but you can narrow down the model...Gypsy, Tiger etc......Barry
Oct 30, 2019, 01:03 PM
Village Idiot
Thread OP
I thought it was a Golden Oldie when I first saw it, and as I have those plans I compared it, it's very different. Much bigger (67" vs. 56") and way different proportions; the fuselage is only an inch and a half longer from firewall to tailpost. I think you guys are on the right track that it's bashed pretty heavily from something else. The wings with their short ailerons definitely made me think Sopwith Tabloid, but with more span. The top view pic doesn't really show how short-coupled this thing is. Even with a 67" span it fits in the back of my Tacoma easily, just turn it sideways and it fits fully assembled.

In the meantime, it's still "the Jenny."

Thanks to all!
Oct 30, 2019, 06:32 PM
Trader Rating: 59
cat herder
It is not a Moth. If it is, which one? Looks like a Fred Reese design as others have said.
Oct 30, 2019, 08:05 PM
Trader Rating: 5
Looks like a "Golden Oldie" designed by Fred Reese. I had one. It flew well. Great fun to shoot touch and goes with.
Oct 31, 2019, 02:21 AM
Village Idiot
Thread OP
As I explained above, it definitely isn't a Golden Oldie. I held the Golden Oldie plans right up to it, and the more you look the more differences you find. Size, structure, proportions, etc are all wrong. The overall look when you see it in person is the wings and tail from one airplane on the fuselage of something smaller. But I don't think it's a Frankenplane, the wing saddle hasn't been modified; I'm sure it was built that way originally. That fuselage sure looks Jenny, though, and so "the Jenny" it shall remain, at least for now.
Oct 31, 2019, 08:51 AM
Trader Rating: 28
A Saito 62 will give it a LOT of power. But it is light enough to work well. You'll be flying at half throttle or less.

Looks to me like someone started with Golden Oldie plans, modified the nose, lengthen the wings, enlarged the stab, and added some extra structure. Pretty sure you're not going to find anything quite like it. I agree it's no Jenny despite some resemblance. Should be fun, won't need a lot of power.
Nov 04, 2019, 01:29 AM
Village Idiot
Thread OP
This thing has absolutely no relation whatever to a Golden Oldie.
Nov 04, 2019, 02:29 AM
Trader Rating: 95
Geppetto
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb33062
This thing has absolutely no relation whatever to a Golden Oldie.
That is for sure! Although, the tail does look similar to a G-Oldie.
Nov 04, 2019, 03:16 AM
Village Idiot
Thread OP
The fin and rudder sure do, thought it was a Golden Oldie when I first saw it. But comparing it to the plans it is about as similar as a Senior Telemaster is to a Senior Kadet. The pics don't really make that obvious, but seeing it for real sure does. I have a Golden Oldie 20, looks like I need to build an original 40 size Oldie to fill the size gap between these two.

Quick Reply