This thread is privately moderated by turboparker, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 29, 2019, 03:17 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Thread OP
Mini-Review

RealFlight 9

Figured I'd do a review of RealFlight 9 with the Spektrum InterLink DX controller!

Minimum Recommended System
  • Windows® 7 or Windows 8 or Windows 10
  • Intel® Pentium® 1.0GHz or equivalent
  • 512 MB RAM
  • 10 GB Hard Drive Space
  • DVD Drive
  • 3D Accelerated Video with:
    • 32 MB Dedicated Video Memory
    • Fully DirectX® 9 compliant (Shader Model 2.0 or better)
  • InterLink DX, RealFlight compatible controller, or other Gamepad/Joystick
  • Internet connectivity required to download additional content and updates
Optimal System
For Best Graphical Performance:
  • Dual Core 2.4GHz CPU
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 3D Accelerated Video with: 512 MB dedicated video memory
Multiplayer Requirements:
  • Broadband Internet connection
  • Computer microphone for voice chat
InterLink® DX Controller Requirements:
  • USB Port
  • Compatible FM or FM-selectable transmitter (if using the interface mode)
VR Requirements:
  • Compatible with some VR sets (available separately). Check manufacturer's requirements for VR system use.
  • Works with both the Oculus Rift and HTC® Vive™ VR headsets
  • Online Activation Required

My previous version of RF is 6.5. My primary use of an RC sim is to keep my fingers working during our long Minnesota winters.

Platform: Homebrew PC with an AMD Phenom II 920 quad-core processor, 8GB of RAM, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 video card w/4GB of RAM - running Win 7 Pro w/all current updates.

Install:

One of my install disks was defective, so I installed the program by downloading the online install set. Horizon customer service was very helpful! The install went just fine.

Setup & checkout:

Plugged the InterLink DX controller into an open USB port, installed and started the program. Chose the controller from the menu, and went through the calibration process. Everything went smoothly. Despite the wide selection of planes, I only have one of them - the 1.5m Timber, so I used that as my benchmark. I also flew a number of the other planes.

I flew at the photo fields, using full-screen mode @ max resolution to check latency.

Impression:

With its drop-down menus & logical layout, the software is easy to navigate. A plus is that you can select planes & fields right from the InterLink DX controller!

I've been flying the E-flite 1.5m Timber for a few years, so I'm very familiar with its flight characteristics. The RF 9 1.5m Timber flies a lot like the real plane. Not exactly of course, but close enough for practicing.

The graphics are a nice improvement. I had no trouble running at full resolution. Plus, extensive graphics editing options are available for those who wish to customize things.

Lots of object customization is also possible. You can extensively edit the aircraft, flying fields, and even the fixed-wing & rotorcraft flight-physics.

I haven't had a chance to try out the multiplayer mode, training videos, or any of the built-in games & challenges. I expect I'll go there during our upcoming long & cold winter!

InterLink DX controller:

Spektrum's InterLink DX controller is superb! It feels a lot like one of Spektrum's higher-end transmitters. It even balances much like a real tx. The gimbals are silky-smooth & the switches have that nice, solid, satisfying feel! Everything is adjustable - stick lengths, tension, smooth vs. ratchet throttle, plus modes 1, 2, 3, and 4. It has a pair of 2-position bat-handle switches, five 3-position switches, a momentary push-button, a pair of sliders, plus a rotary knob - all of which are programmable via the software.

Conclusion:

I think RF9 will be a great teaching tool for prospective newcomers to the hobby. The wide variety of aircraft types (multiple types & sizes of fixed-wing planes, helis, and quads) plus the training videos & exercises will come in handy for anyone who wants to teach themselves how to fly RC, and also for club use. Plus, it's accurate enough for experienced pilots to keep their fingers nimble during the off-season, and the games & online features should keep things entertaining!

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Oct 29, 2019 at 04:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2019, 10:38 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Hi Joel, thanks for the review. Do you know if they make a version for Mac computers ?

RF
Oct 29, 2019, 10:57 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Thread OP
Hi RF! It's been awhile! How are things going?

Unfortunately, they don't list a Mac version of RF9 on the HH webpage.

Joel
Latest blog entry: RealFlight 9
Nov 01, 2019, 10:04 PM
I really like mine, but I'm unqualified to review or really have a perspective on it because it is my first simulator. Running mine mostly on a secondary computer with no graphics card and it still works great! I do think this is going to improve my flying skills a lot.
Nov 02, 2019, 06:07 PM
DFS#000178
Is the Interlink DX based on any of Spektrum's current TXs? I got someone I'm training who has RF9 and likes the ergonomics of the Interlink DX and is ready to buy his first real radio. He wants to know but I can't find anything that's in the same case.

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like it's the DX8e's case, or very similar.
Nov 02, 2019, 08:40 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Thread OP
Yeah, I heard or read that it's based the DX8e. Same switch layout too. However, it has a pair of proportional fingertip sliders on the back that the DX8e doesn't have - so it has 7 proportional channels instead of 5 like the DX8e has.

Joel
Latest blog entry: RealFlight 9

Quick Reply