Oct 29, 2019, 02:28 PM
AeroDan
Thread OP
Discussion

2-Questions About The NAR

#1) @$62/Yr, is it worth joining? & #2) Are they catching Hell from the FAA, too, regarding altitude caps?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2019, 11:56 AM
Klaatu Barada Nikto
Quick answers, Yes, and No.

It's absolutely worth joining. Insurance is great to have especially in today's litigious society. It's no different than getting AMA membership in that regard.

No, the AMA has nothing to say about rocket altitude caps. They are not currently an issue for the AMA, as the FAA provides its own set of BS restrictions on rocketry.
Nov 08, 2019, 09:29 AM
AeroDan
Thread OP
Thanks, Gort813. I’ll get the funds together for the application, then (a nickel here, a dime there, here’s a wrinkled up old $5, etc......). Just what are the FAA’s BS restrictions regarding rocketry?
Last edited by Bell47G2; Nov 08, 2019 at 09:36 AM.
Nov 10, 2019, 12:42 PM
Klaatu Barada Nikto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
Just what are the FAA’s BS restrictions regarding rocketry?
I suppose stating that the FAA regs for rocketry are "BS" was unduly harsh. They really aren't that bad considering what they're doing to drone pilots. Mostly just airspace restrictions and waiver requirements. Now that I think about it, the FAA isn't too awful where rocketry is concerned. Yet. Now, the NTSB is a different matter.
Nov 10, 2019, 12:53 PM
AeroDan
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort813
I suppose stating that the FAA regs for rocketry are "BS" was unduly harsh. They really aren't that bad considering what they're doing to drone pilots. Mostly just airspace restrictions and waiver requirements. Now that I think about it, the FAA isn't too awful where rocketry is concerned. Yet. Now, the NTSB is a different matter.
Gotcha!!! Someone working at a hobby shop I DON’T go to anymore, told me once I could launch ANYWHERE, just bring a bucket of water, and a wet towel. And I’ve got a palace in London to sell you.
Nov 11, 2019, 08:07 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Actually, for model rockets, you can launch just about anywhere there's enough room - there are safe distance and launch site size requirements.

But other than that, launch any where, except when there are aircraft in air.

But other than that, you're good to go, unless there are local restrictions. But other than that...

Okay, you should have the permission of the land owner.

But the FAA generally ignores m[del rockets.

High power rockets are a different matter. You need an FAA waiver to launch anything over 1.5Kg or containing more than 125g of propellant. You also need NAR or Tripoli certification to buy any motor over a G or containing more than 62.5g of propellant. But 99.9% of hobby shops don't know anything about model rockets beyond Estes. By the time you're ready for high power, you'll be better connected with the hobby and know all those requirements.

As Harry Stine always said, "Fly 'em high."

- Roger
Nov 11, 2019, 03:00 PM
AeroDan
Thread OP
THANKS, Roger. I was told there are spots out in Moreno Valley, CA where I can launch, but I’m not sure of the exact coordinates. If I see others there launching Estes low-power like mine, then: OH HAPPY DAY!!! Yeah, G. Harry Stine put out one HECK of a book on the hobby. I’ve got the latest version (7th Ed./2004). There’s a reason he was NAR #2. -Daniel
Nov 12, 2019, 08:09 AM
One thing to check in CA is fire restrictions. There may be seasonal restriction or bans in the area you're launching.

Heed those.

Also, hook up with a local club. If the LHS can't help, the NAR web site has a club locator.

https://www.nar.org/find-a-local-club/nar-club-locator/

- Roger
Nov 12, 2019, 01:03 PM
AeroDan
Thread OP
Thanks, Roger. Yeah, the guy running NAR Section #430 (SoCal Rocketry-Santa Fe Dam Rec Area, Irwindale) wants us rocketeers to pay for our park admission and lunch meals w/gold-dollar coins or $2 bills-ONLY. NAR Section #538 (Rocketry Organization of California-Lucerne Valley Dry Lake) makes a little more sense, although it’s up in the boonies. I was thinking of renting a Ford F-150 from my local U-HAUL just to visit this one, but that can be EXPENSIVE. So, we’ll just have to wait & see. -Daniel
Last edited by Bell47G2; Nov 12, 2019 at 08:11 PM.
Nov 14, 2019, 08:54 AM
WRT $1 coins, my son & daughter in law are SCA members and use Susan B Anthonys and Sacajaweas at the annual, two week long Pennsic War event north of Pittsburg. It's the only place south of the border where these coins are commonly used (Canada, OTOH, has used Loonies and Twoonies, for decades).

WRT$2 bills, I had a college roommate who went to the bank and got $40 of freshly minted bills. He then made a Travelers Check (anyone know what those were?) like billfold with some card stock and rubber cement. When he was in the mood, he'd pull out the billfold and peel off a bill to pay for something. It was usually met by the recipient carefully examining the bill and questioning its legality.

- Roger
Nov 15, 2019, 02:39 AM
AeroDan
Thread OP
I do remember the AMEX Travelers Checks Karl Malden commercials from 1970’s TV. “Don’t Leave Home Without Them”.
-Daniel
Nov 16, 2019, 08:14 PM
Culper Junior
What is a WRT $2 bill?
Nov 20, 2019, 05:48 PM
WRT = With Respect To

Inspite of the common expression, "As phoney as a $2 bill", Thomas Jefferson is on the US $2 bill. While they are legal tender, they are not commonly found in circulation.

- Roger
Nov 20, 2019, 08:09 PM
Culper Junior
Ahhh...thanks. One of our bank tellers mentioned a few months ago they have a customer who collects $2 bills, the bank saves them for him.

Quick Reply