Oct 29, 2019, 08:34 AM
aka Tony
Thread OP
Discussion

Fire to the Cox

Just lost my bid on a Hobbico Power Panel Delux II from flea bay.
Actually, item was never delivered, so my money was returned.
Possibly a good thing?
So now I need a source to power up my little jewels.
Thought I would see what some of you are using, and if I could illicit any advice.
Would like to be able to adjust or at least verify the voltage to the plug.
I understand that the Cox plug/head will not tolerate any more that 1.5 volts.
Still kinda new at this game.
Greatly appreciate any advice.
Scratch...
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2019, 09:16 AM
One of these might work. http://aerohobby.ca/store/index.php?...=index&cPath=4 of course the one with the clip that works with the Cox is out of stock.
Oct 29, 2019, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch99
Just lost my bid on a Hobbico Power Panel Delux II from flea bay.
Actually, item was never delivered, so my money was returned.
Possibly a good thing?
So now I need a source to power up my little jewels.
Thought I would see what some of you are using, and if I could illicit any advice.
Would like to be able to adjust or at least verify the voltage to the plug.
I understand that the Cox plug/head will not tolerate any more that 1.5 volts.
Still kinda new at this game.
Greatly appreciate any advice.
Scratch...
Cox International still has the OEM style clips. https://coxengines.ca/cox-glow-plug-clip-oem-style.html

One of my futurge projects is to take the "fake" glow plug that is used to accept the Ni-starter on larger motors and wire it to one of these clips so that I can use a regular Ni-starter to light the clip.

You can also get big 1.5 volt hobby batteries (like we used in the old days) that have terminals with screw on hold downs.
https://www.amazon.com/Exell-Battery...a-784403725322
One for $32 or two for $40!! Kinda pricey.
Oct 29, 2019, 03:12 PM
aka Tony
Thread OP
I do have the Cox spring style clip.
Need to solder it to some heavier wire.
No thanks to the battery.
Prime adds 20% to the retail price and then gives you free shipping.
Wish I could find a diy plan.
Maybe I can cobble together my own panel.
Probably the parts separately would cost more than an individual panel.
Oct 29, 2019, 04:18 PM
Nitro User
You can get that same battery on ebay sometimes cheaper 40,000 mah quite a bit of duration.
Oct 29, 2019, 04:44 PM
Or current resident
I went the DIY route. Purchased a 6 volt lantern battery. It is made up of four 1.5V F size cells wired in series.
Cut the top off the battery. It opened easily working around the seam with a small screwdriver.
Unsolder the connector wires and reconnect in parallel. Now you have a 1.5v 20000mah battery.
I removed the contact springs and replaced with brass 8-32 screws and thumb nuts. Battery top is taped on using electrical tape.
When the battery goes dead I can reuse the case and just replace the cells.
Battery cost me 4 bucks at the dollar store and spent about 6 for the screws, hex nuts, brass washers and thumb nuts .
Glenn
Oct 30, 2019, 09:51 AM
aka Tony
Thread OP
That's ingenious Glewis.
Many thanks.
May have to go your route for the sake of frugality.
Had been thinking of getting this:
Oct 30, 2019, 11:06 AM
Or current resident
I almost bought one of those, but it doesn't have a nicad glow igniter charger. This led to that, and next thing I skipped the power panel all together and cobbled up the battery I posted. The battery and a small squeeze bottle of fuel and I'm good to go!
Glenn
Oct 30, 2019, 11:08 AM

Chuck Cunningham

A glow driver running off 12v was published in RCM magazine and I used that for years, sometimes not turning down pot and burning up a 1/2 a glo head. Not sure what is missing but the article by the above talented author (Lazy Ace? Designer) lists the components.
Oct 30, 2019, 12:13 PM
Or current resident
Man, those components are ancient! Is that a Signetics transistor? 2n3055, a classic!
Good luck finding any of that now, almost everything is surface mount.
Oct 30, 2019, 12:20 PM
A nicad or nimh powered ni- starter, while working decent for most screw in glow plugs, doesn't really put out the current needed for Cox and Norvel (NV) glow head/inserts. A power panel with a well charged 12 volt battery works well, but you have to be careful or you can easily burn out a glow head. For starting 1/2A engines I've found that 1.5 volt alkaline D cells work better, with enough voltage to drive the current the glow head needs without risking over current and burnout. Right now I've got two of the original Cox double D battery holders taped together and wired in parallel, so four D cells in in parallel. I've been using that for the last couple of months, every sunday, and it's stilling holding up well. Where my Cox and Norvel engines were some times hard to start on a ni- starter. especially is it wasn't hot off the charger, they now all start as soon as I hit them with the starter. I do like glewis's idea, I may have to give that a try.
Oct 30, 2019, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Dye
A nicad or nimh powered ni- starter, while working decent for most screw in glow plugs, doesn't really put out the current needed for Cox and Norvel (NV) glow head/inserts. A power panel with a well charged 12 volt battery works well, but you have to be careful or you can easily burn out a glow head. For starting 1/2A engines I've found that 1.5 volt alkaline D cells work better, with enough voltage to drive the current the glow head needs without risking over current and burnout. Right now I've got two of the original Cox double D battery holders taped together and wired in parallel, so four D cells in in parallel. I've been using that for the last couple of months, every sunday, and it's stilling holding up well. Where my Cox and Norvel engines were some times hard to start on a ni- starter. especially is it wasn't hot off the charger, they now all start as soon as I hit them with the starter. I do like glewis's idea, I may have to give that a try.
This has been my experience also.
Nov 01, 2019, 02:09 PM
aka Tony
Thread OP
Here you go-
Thanks again glewis.
Nov 03, 2019, 07:49 PM
Or current resident
Internal battery connections are easy to rearrange if you have a decent soldering iron. Only took me a few minutes. How will you make the connection to the glow clip? Guess you could solder them on. I didn't do that because it was too easy to short the clip out on stuff. Would be good if you have some sort of sleeve to put over one of the clip arms to prevent shorts.
Nov 04, 2019, 01:35 PM
aka Tony
Thread OP
Have my old trusty 75 watt iron.
I do have a couple of brass nuts and bolts.
Hope to make attachments much as yours.
Top was glued on pretty good.
Masking tape will have to hide some sins.

Quick Reply