Oct 29, 2019, 08:33 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Series 2 PL Touch chargers

I see there is a series 2 PL8 Touch soon to be available.
When? what new features?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2019, 02:37 PM
1) The PL Touch series is currently undergoing an extensive redesign and has been for some time now.

2) This is the reason it has been out of stock and why it is difficult to pinpoint when it will again be available for sale. We do anticipate the SERIES II will be available early 2020.

3) When it is re-released, we plan to refer to it as "PL Touch SERIES II".

4) PLT SII will have improved performance and additional features, including but not limited to:

a) a fully opto-isolated BUMP Controller design which will make it possible to use multiple input power supplies and/or power supplies having different voltages to power multiple components including legacy PowerLabs connected to the two available external PL ports. No more worries about ensuring common grounds throughout the setup or limiting a setup to the lowest voltage spec'd charger in the mix. For example, power a Dual PowerLab 8 using 48v, but power a legacy PL6 or PL8 connected to an external PL port using a lower voltage power supply or even a 12V battery. Since the newly designed embedded BUMP Controller will also be used to manufacture any future stand-alone BUMP Controllers, full opto-isolation will also come in handy in stand-alone BUMP Controller installations.

b) improved reliability and fewer Safety Codes
Nov 04, 2019, 03:55 PM
Jamie,

Sounds Great......i really like the PL8 i have with the original BC. I do need another charger though so hurry up with the redesign!
Also any news on a "Discharger" preferably one that doesn't take a couple of hours to discharge a 6s 5000mAh to storage charge?
Dec 02, 2019, 07:36 PM
kalps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Marks
1) The PL Touch series is currently undergoing an extensive redesign and has been for some time now.

2) This is the reason it has been out of stock and why it is difficult to pinpoint when it will again be available for sale. We do anticipate the SERIES II will be available early 2020.

3) When it is re-released, we plan to refer to it as "PL Touch SERIES II".

4) PLT SII will have improved performance and additional features, including but not limited to:

a) a fully opto-isolated BUMP Controller design which will make it possible to use multiple input power supplies and/or power supplies having different voltages to power multiple components including legacy PowerLabs connected to the two available external PL ports. No more worries about ensuring common grounds throughout the setup or limiting a setup to the lowest voltage spec'd charger in the mix. For example, power a Dual PowerLab 8 using 48v, but power a legacy PL6 or PL8 connected to an external PL port using a lower voltage power supply or even a 12V battery. Since the newly designed embedded BUMP Controller will also be used to manufacture any future stand-alone BUMP Controllers, full opto-isolation will also come in handy in stand-alone BUMP Controller installations.

b) improved reliability and fewer Safety Codes
I am looking forward to it and hope it has better connectivity and range with Bluetooth.
Dec 07, 2019, 06:11 AM
Looking forward to getting my hands on one.

Any chance we can get a firmware (or an option) whereby we see the actual individual voltages of each cell? Which bypasses the current PowerLab feature where within a certain threshold the cell voltages all display the same value? That would very much be appreciated!
Dec 10, 2019, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthenorse
Looking forward to getting my hands on one.

Any chance we can get a firmware (or an option) whereby we see the actual individual voltages of each cell? Which bypasses the current PowerLab feature where within a certain threshold the cell voltages all display the same value? That would very much be appreciated!
Actually, that's already the case with the Bump Controller and the Powerlab Touch (Series I) chargers. We modified that sampling/averaging algorithm so it is much closer to actual cell voltage, but still doesn't fluctuate quickly. The Series II will have the same algorithm.
Dec 12, 2019, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoKelly
Actually, that's already the case with the Bump Controller and the Powerlab Touch (Series I) chargers. We modified that sampling/averaging algorithm so it is much closer to actual cell voltage, but still doesn't fluctuate quickly. The Series II will have the same algorithm.

Ah ok, cool.

Iíve been using my PL8 for many years, but always been slightly annoyed that the charger displays identical voltage for all cells when I know thatís not the case (even though I know the cells are very close in voltage).
Dec 13, 2019, 04:01 PM
I'm patient. In March 2020, it will be 2 years since I returned the Dual PowerLab 8 Touch Serie 1 charger. I hope the new enhanced Serie 2 will work as I imagine. I look forward. ***winter***
Last edited by winter1; Dec 13, 2019 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply