Nov 01, 2019, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissah

The major issue I see with the HD02. Is the power buttons location. Its positioned where we grab the goggles to take them off or re- adjust their fit. And accidental power down could occur.
It is a false fear, (I surely could ve come up with a more technical name).
1. The button behaviour will probably be changed with firmware, (press and hold for x seconds to turn off/on), and even disable it in case you are a power button hater.
2. And most important: if you accidentally press the button when taking them off nothing happens, because if you are taking your goggles off you inherently won't see the screen, the point in "accidentally" turn them off is that you have to turn them on again.
3. Point you actually mentioned it, a power button removes wear from the main battery lead and barrel connector, they have failed me too 2 times turning off the goggles in mid flight, with previous goggles.
Last edited by Dashz; Nov 01, 2019 at 08:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2019, 10:47 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
everyone simmer down. FS included a jumper to disable the PWR button for those of us that prefer a plug.

would sure love to see more companies be that customer friendly/thoughtful.

I have quite a few tools, fans and work lights that i just unplug from the wall rather than fumble for the switch. and on some others i use their switches. - on a few have a remote control that i can use my phone. whopped-teedo. :shrugs:

one man's use, is another's abuse.

How's the image?
And hows the latency?
-Thats what really matters.
Last edited by xanuser; Nov 01, 2019 at 10:53 PM.
Nov 02, 2019, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
everyone simmer down. FS included a jumper to disable the PWR button for those of us that prefer a plug.

would sure love to see more companies be that customer friendly/thoughtful.

I have quite a few tools, fans and work lights that i just unplug from the wall rather than fumble for the switch. and on some others i use their switches. - on a few have a remote control that i can use my phone. whopped-teedo. :shrugs:

one man's use, is another's abuse.

How's the image?
And hows the latency?
-Thats what really matters.
Lets not go overboard. I’m not one of those demanding a power button, but I am in the fix the blurry image camp and those who want greater ipd adjustments and the means to get a clear image. Until now there doesnt seem to have been much innovation at all so lets not make them out to be saints of the industry. Seems more likely some very real competition might of forced or accelerated some changes to happen, hopefully for the best.

I’ll be waiting for people to get these and to report if they actually do work to provide a decent size fov and the ability to give a wide range of people reasonably clear images - if they do , I’ll support that effort by buying a pair (I haven’t brought more goggles since my HD2).
Nov 02, 2019, 06:52 AM
First world problems lol.
Im excited because of the 46º fov, the updated and tweakable oled, the focal and wider ipd adjustments, the fan without external balance lead and the price. Mostly the "I'm able to get perfectly crisp and focused image corner to corner" from the 3 or 4 youtubers that have them.
I just thought the power button is a nice touch, it is an elegant solution for a 500$ electronic device, you know like a smartphone, your xbox/ps, your radio transmitter or your laptop.
Nov 02, 2019, 08:47 AM
IMO there is a ton of innovation in these. The optics are completely new - and far more adjustable which addresses most folks concerns about blurry optics. Blurry is caused by the optics not matching up to your eyes. For me, the greater IPD range alone is enough to get a perfect image. They had to make major changes to get that increased IPD range.
Nov 02, 2019, 10:58 AM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebatfink
Lets not go overboard. I’m not one of those demanding a power button, but I am in the fix the blurry image camp and those who want greater ipd adjustments and the means to get a clear image. Until now there doesnt seem to have been much innovation at all so lets not make them out to be saints of the industry. Seems more likely some very real competition might of forced or accelerated some changes to happen, hopefully for the best.

I’ll be waiting for people to get these and to report if they actually do work to provide a decent size fov and the ability to give a wide range of people reasonably clear images - if they do , I’ll support that effort by buying a pair (I haven’t brought more goggles since my HD2).
on the flipside of that so called "lack of innovation", FS managed to produce a series of solidly performing goggles that can be fixed/worked on and improved, instead of going in a completely new direction every 6 months. and trying to reinvent the wheel each time.
I really like the idea of building on what you have as much as possible. its one of the reasons im happy to spend money on FS gear. aside from buying custom frames, I don't feel like much of the money I spend on RC/FPV really goes to companies run by fellow hobbyists.
Nov 02, 2019, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreire
Can you please look into a way to add diopter inserts to these for those of us that fall outside the adjustment range or have astigmatism etc.?
Even something extra that can be purchased to attach them if you don't want modify any moulds would be good.
It really won't be hard. There's a huge flat area next to the lens that would allow double sided foam tape to be put down and a custom lens stuck in front. In fact its even easier than for previous goggles where you have the get the exact shape and size right as well as machining down side rails to slide into the slots. This you could literally stick a round lens in front.
Fat Shark
Nov 03, 2019, 06:10 AM
'Extreme Fabricator'
I would buy regardless of power switch, when they're on my head they're on... that's it, pull the plug and I know no bumping buttons or standby current is going to kill my pack. Like Daemon states, the switch is just another failure point I'd rather not have.
I would be interested to know the current consumption compared to my HD3's, theoretically oled should be more efficient, but it probably comes down to image processing.
The headtracker is a pain for me, when I first purchased my HD3's they had to be sent away for a lens fix, just what you want with a brand new investment, now it looks like history repeating itself, as soon as I receive them I have to send them off again. I would prefer a purchase option being one of the 0.15% who use HT... tick the box, power switch or trinity bay...
Doubly so now I've fixed the drift issue (finally).

BTW, I use headtracking in planes cars and boats, the only things that don't get it are quads.
Nov 03, 2019, 08:26 AM
Retired US Navy
Seems it’s the price to be in a minority. Both the new competitive goggles to this come with HT in them from what I understand... but the O3O have smaller screens and the ORQA are too much of an unknown for me.

All that said the biggest reason I buy FS is customer service, if something’s wrong it’ll be fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicecooper
I would buy regardless of power switch, when they're on my head they're on... that's it, pull the plug and I know no bumping buttons or standby current is going to kill my pack. Like Daemon states, the switch is just another failure point I'd rather not have.
I would be interested to know the current consumption compared to my HD3's, theoretically oled should be more efficient, but it probably comes down to image processing.
The headtracker is a pain for me, when I first purchased my HD3's they had to be sent away for a lens fix, just what you want with a brand new investment, now it looks like history repeating itself, as soon as I receive them I have to send them off again. I would prefer a purchase option being one of the 0.15% who use HT... tick the box, power switch or trinity bay...
Doubly so now I've fixed the drift issue (finally).

BTW, I use headtracking in planes cars and boats, the only things that don't get it are quads.
Nov 03, 2019, 09:12 AM
'Extreme Fabricator'
That is a big reason for me too, with anything Chinese based all bets are off for warranty, and from experience even worse with DJI.
Nov 03, 2019, 10:14 AM
The "chinese lack of warranty" is a bit of a myth nowdays, maybe 2-3 years ago when all these companies started to be known and started with their goggle products there was less budget to be poured into customer support but right now if you have any issue with skyzones or aomway, they send you parts for free if they are under guarantee or get the goggles back if you have any issue.

Now, something more related to the thread topic; what is the difference between power and brightness for the displays? I saw Josh video but there is not much difference, in the manual it says that refers to the actual power of every led in the screen, but doesn't the brightness already do that? Increase the luminance of every pixel so there is more light projected to the eye?
Nov 03, 2019, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatshark
It really won't be hard. There's a huge flat area next to the lens that would allow double sided foam tape to be put down and a custom lens stuck in front. In fact its even easier than for previous goggles where you have the get the exact shape and size right as well as machining down side rails to slide into the slots. This you could literally stick a round lens in front.
Fat Shark
Thanks for the reply. I studied a few photos a bit afterwards and think I might have a good solution.
The optics modules stick out proud from the surrounding plastic. I think 3d printing a TPU tube to hold the diopter would work as you could then just push it on over the optics module. It would be flexible so it could be made a tight fit.
You wouldn't even need your full distance vision prescription as you could still use the adjustment wheel to fine tune it.

Could you tell me the diameter of the optics module and diameter of the lens itself?
Nov 04, 2019, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreire
Thanks for the reply. I studied a few photos a bit afterwards and think I might have a good solution.
The optics modules stick out proud from the surrounding plastic. I think 3d printing a TPU tube to hold the diopter would work as you could then just push it on over the optics module. It would be flexible so it could be made a tight fit.
You wouldn't even need your full distance vision prescription as you could still use the adjustment wheel to fine tune it.

Could you tell me the diameter of the optics module and diameter of the lens itself?
That might work, except the tolerance between the barrel and the plastic is pretty tight and there's not much barrel sticking out at its minimum distance. I'll look closer when I get some time. But definitely a lens mounted to the flat portion is easily doable and won't need expensive tooling.
Fat Shark
Nov 04, 2019, 11:46 AM
R/C CRASHER
Soooo many HDO's on the FOR SALE classifies adds. Dump em while you can..
Nov 04, 2019, 12:30 PM
Team Crash
Sold mine yesterday and ordered the HDO2s today. Can't wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoguy
Soooo many HDO's on the FOR SALE classifies adds. Dump em while you can..

Quick Reply