Oct 29, 2019, 12:22 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Discussion

Depron Foam in Australia

Hi guys .. as anyone bought any 6mm Depron lately ?

I purchased a new box of Depron recently and as I had a few sheets left from my previous purchases I only open the new box today .. and to say the very least I am VERY disappointed

The Depron sheets have changed, are a lot softer and not near as strong and is also a different colour too .. if I didn't know better I would say they have bought a job lot of HK foam at $40 a box and selling it for over $200 a box

I have been using Depron to build RC model airplanes for many years and the quality (up until now) has been very consistent and very good

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED .. what have these guys done ????

Also paid $245 for a box and after waiting for it for over 2 months .. I see they are selling it for $198.00 a box

They have offered me a full refund and I am thinking I might do just that .. trouble is, what options do we have .. if anyone in Perth has any of the old 6mm Depron they want to sell, give me a shout

Lockey
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2019, 12:51 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Hi Lockey,
Our club bought several boxes of 6, 3 and 2mm several years ago, and one box of 6mm was very soft and 'pappy'. The company (in WA, from memory) sent us a replacement box of the 'good' stuff free, and I have been quietly enjoying the soft, light stock for indoor models ever since.
Our most recent purchase was last year, so don't know what they have been up to since then - the word in the UK mags is that Depron production is no more, so the local mob may have changed suppliers?
I have been nibbling at the new Vector foam from Graupner, but shipping from the UK was prohibitive (120 quid to ship cuppla boxes at 15 quid each!) and am waiting for info direct from Graupner. Apparently no viable distributor for Graupner in OZ.
Not much help there, sorry, but my empathy is with you - hate it when good stuff you are addicted to becomes unavailable!
Cheers,
PeteM
Oct 29, 2019, 05:32 AM
Lockey
Original Depron was as you describe quite stiff. The foam was actually denser at the surface than the core so it was really a sandwich.
Depron later brought out 'aero' quality which has a constant density throughout so was more flexible but lighter. More important it was also cheaper to manufacture and as it is intended to be used for insulation rather than model building Depron ceased production of the original stiff type and concentrated on 3, 6 and 12 mm soft sheets only.
Other manufacturers only make the soft sheets.
I doubt any manufacturer will make the original type polystyrene foam board just for the aero model market.
Shame but that's commercial economics for you!
Oct 29, 2019, 06:35 AM
KE your cub.
Hi Lockey, I used to use a fair bit of depron about 10 years ago, but as I understand it, Foam Sales in Myaree still carry it. They were my go-to guys, seeing as I lived 10 minutes away.

https://www.foamsales.com.au/collect...roduct_reviews

If you're nearby it's proabably worth a drive to check whether it's what you want.

For reference they're still my go-to guys for EPS and XPS foams too.

Good luck
Oct 29, 2019, 06:47 AM
Thread OP
I hear what you are saying guys and I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and use it

I have been building a model with it today and ... at least IT IS 6mm not 5mm like the HK foam and a little bit stiffer than HK foam (not quite as squiffy)

I think Foam Sales in Myaree will eventually run out and go to this stuff but they are very expensive to buy by the single sheet, I use quite a lot as I build a lot so need to buy a box of 20

It seems to sand quite nice but marks very easily and I can imagine the hanger rashes will be more than the original Depron

I have always bought from Trade Warehouse and they are now calling it Modelling Foam

Lockey
Oct 29, 2019, 08:05 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
I also ran out of the white Depron part way through a build. ( UK )

The currently supplied 3mm, grey in color, is certainly more flexible. It no longer has the 'grain effect' where is would bend easier one way than the other so no checking if I have cut a panel out the correct way.

That said, I still find it usable, it just need slightly more support. It also has the ability to bend easier and even allow a slight double curvature to be worked in to it.

Ray.
Oct 29, 2019, 10:21 AM
treefinder
It sounds like the worldwide stocks of original Depton are finally being exhausted. As most of you guys know that happened here in US years ago when RCFoam was told by Selit (? Memory fails) that they had changed processes to meet building industry demands and would no longer provide the original flat extruded between sizing plate material. That last is the key to original Depron characteristics: extruding a flat ribbon that expands between guage thickness sizing plates produces a dense skin and consistent flat sheet. The downside was that it is an inherently slower process than other methods. In the foam business, throughput is everything. My experience with Adam's and MPF is that while they can sometimes produce beautiful, flat waveless foam, they seldom do. Process variable control must be a nightmare for them. Ambient humidity and temperature are factors, as well as internal to the process factors.

The one thing we all have in common is that most any polystyrene foam can be made to "work". Perhaps far from optimum, but acceptable end products.
Oct 31, 2019, 07:02 AM
Guess who still has 3 sheets of 6mm 'original' and 1 sheet of 3mm RED (10 years old)????

Actually loath to use it because when it's gone.......

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Oct 31, 2019, 07:39 AM
Thread OP
I have 12 sheets of 3mm original white and 2 sheets of 9mm but used my last 6mm sheets last week

Lockey
Nov 01, 2019, 11:45 PM

Depron Foam

Hi Lockey,

Sad to hear about the lack of Depron in Australia. I think it will be cheaper for you to ship it from Malaysia than for the US.

In Malaysia it is more commonly known as Compressed Foam but this particular manufacturer calls it Depron, take a look:-

https://3827-my.all.biz/depron-foam-sheet-g25092

All foam types:-

https://3827-my.all.biz/goods

Manufacturer:-

http://www.thp.com.my/html/thp_hdplain.html

Hope it helps.
Nov 01, 2019, 11:57 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the info ToyStar .. do you use this product?

I do believe that it hasn't been available in the US for a long time now

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Nov 02, 2019 at 12:17 AM.
Nov 05, 2019, 03:27 PM
I recently ordered a Depron Bug V3 from Micronwings.com and noticed they sell sheets. May want to see if they have what you need.
https://micronwings.com/Products/Sec...on/index.shtml
Nov 05, 2019, 07:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanM
I recently ordered a Depron Bug V3 from Micronwings.com and noticed they sell sheets. May want to see if they have what you need.
https://micronwings.com/Products/Sec...on/index.shtml
Thanks Evan but the price and delivery to Australia would be prohibitive

Lockey
Nov 06, 2019, 01:28 AM
No I do not build with compressed foam sheets. But my buddies do. Since, Depron is not available in Malaysia I cannot compare. They get their foam from the stationers usually 2' x 3' or the bigger sheets from art supply stores, up to 8' x 4'. The foam is 6mm thick, 3mm is not so common and is more expensive. However, it is unbranded, unlike the ones I listed previously.
Nov 06, 2019, 10:44 AM
MicronWings is an Australian based business.

Quick Reply