Name: Funcub NG Motor Mount.jpg
Views: 63
Size: 1.60 MB
Description:

Name: DSC00047.jpg
Views: 78
Size: 2.52 MB
Description:

Got my kit today, looks like MPX have done their normal trick of supplying a motor mount which only really fits their ginormous Himax C3542/930KV motor with 25mm PCD mounting holes, no other mounting holes present in the mount (WHY!), lets hope one of the aluminium motor mount manufacturers do one soon or its going to need modification to the stock plastic mount to fit a motor of one's choice., apart from the Motor Mount issue; the kit is up to MPX's usual high standard of fit and finish.
Last edited by BLACKJACK172; Jun 05, 2020 at 05:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 05, 2020, 10:28 PM
Fully Sending It
No doubt engineered for their Roxxy motor. Shouldn't be a surprise, this is how Multiplex has always been
Jun 06, 2020, 03:59 AM
Had time to go through the kit in more detail now, the main and tail Landing Gear issues than many owners moaned about (although I never had a problem personally) have been addressed, the main gear does not even mount on the foam fuselage anymore; but mounts on (screwed on) to a longitudal 10mm x 10mm GRP square tube which runs from the motor mount rearward past the air vent hole , the main gear which is now a two wire design goes through the air vent hole and is attached the to the GRP tube, personally I would straight away swap out the GRP tube for carbon and enlarge the air vent hole or cut out two NACA ducts in the sides of the fuselage, the main gear and mounting plate arrangement nearly completely fills up the air vent hole, this Funcub will be flying in Dubai UAE in 30C+ temperatures so good ventilation is a must for me.

At long last the tail wheel wire is now pre-formed at the factory and is robustly mounted on to the Rudder with screws.

No more gluing in the GRP spars to the wings, MPX (as other manufacturers) have embedded the spars inside the wings during the moulding process; so no spars visible, gone are the long servo snakes, rudder and elevator servo's are mounted in the tail, not sure I will use the wing struts that come with the kit.

All in all, I think a great improvement on the original design, just got to work out a motor mount modification to fit my AXI 2217/20 motor.

Name: DSC00048.jpg
Views: 142
Size: 1.63 MB
Description:

Name: DSC00049.jpg
Views: 136
Size: 1.32 MB
Description:

Name: DSC00050.jpg
Views: 144
Size: 1.27 MB
Description:

Name: DSC00051.jpg
Views: 125
Size: 1.29 MB
Description:

Name: DSC00052.jpg
Views: 129
Size: 1.29 MB
Description:
Jun 20, 2020, 11:41 AM
Name: DSC00053.jpg
Views: 142
Size: 1.56 MB
Description: Power Set

Name: DSC00054.jpg
Views: 125
Size: 1.70 MB
Description: Power Set

Name: DSC00055.jpg
Views: 200
Size: 1.20 MB
Description: AXI Motor Birch Ply Spacer

Name: DSC00056.jpg
Views: 140
Size: 728.2 KB
Description: Motor Spacer

Name: DSC00057.jpg
Views: 149
Size: 1.69 MB
Description: Motor Spacer

Name: DSC00058.jpg
Views: 140
Size: 1.38 MB
Description: Motor Spacers

Name: DSC00059.jpg
Views: 118
Size: 1.42 MB
Description: Motor Spacers

The MPX power set 1-01423 comes with a plastic spacer 5.5mm thick which goes between the Roxxy C35-42 motor and the stock motor mount, I used the MPX spacer as a template to make a 12mm birch ply spacer to space the AXI motor forward to clear the front of the fuselage by 2mm, the plywood spacer is attached to the stock motor mount with 3mm stainless steel machine screws and nuts using the same holes in the stock motor mount, it is difficult to drill extra holes in the stock mount because of the voids and general construction of the mount, the AXI motor cross piece is screwed to the plywood spacer with stainless steel wood screws, I would have rather have used machine screws and nuts through the AXI cross piece, through the spacer and through the motor mount as the Roxxy setup does, but the pitch diameter of the AXI cross piece does not match up with the Roxxy mounting holes in the motor mount.

The weight difference between the Roxxy setup and AXI setup is 70 grams, I would have rather used aluminium tube standoffs rather than the thick piece of plywood to mount the AXI crosspiece directly the stock mount but the factory/Roxxy mounting holes really control anything you want to attach the stock mount, I think I will make another plywood spacer but a tad bigger on the diameter so the crosspiece mounting self tapping holes are not so close to the edge of the plywood.

This first Funcub NG is going to be a lightweight version, small motor, lightweight Esc, 1300 3S, , no flaps operation or flap servos and no wing struts, the bare NG fuselage does seem quite a bit heavier than the standard Funcub fuselage, I have a spare standard fuselage somewhere and I will do a weight comparison and see what comes up.
Aug 25, 2020, 06:17 PM
Any flight reports for the next gen?

Hopefully Weekender Warehouse here in the States gets them soon.
Sep 04, 2020, 06:15 PM
what skill level is required for something like this?
Sep 05, 2020, 04:09 PM
Beekeeper
Does anyone know when this plane will be available in the U.S.?

I asked this question in the Hitec/Multiplex forum about a
month and a half ago and haven’t received a response.
Sep 06, 2020, 04:52 PM
Jimbo

Motor mount

Just building my NG. Was dissapointed to find out about the motor mount. I have used a cheap (e-bay) motor 3542-1450kv motor. I turned a spacer 30mm O/D, 13mmO/D, drilled and countersunk to bolt to the motor, drilled and tapped 3mm to bolt to the plastc mount. I made it 8mm thick to give me 2mm clearance for the prop. I'll post pictures later.
Sep 06, 2020, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pattison
Just building my NG. Was dissapointed to find out about the motor mount. I have used a cheap (e-bay) motor 3542-1450kv motor. I turned a spacer 30mm O/D, 13mmO/D, drilled and countersunk to bolt to the motor, drilled and tapped 3mm to bolt to the plastc mount. I made it 8mm thick to give me 2mm clearance for the prop. I'll post pictures later.
Iím not clear as to why youíre dissatisfied with the motor mount. Iím building mine with a Turnigy SK3 3542 800kv which fits just fine. The motor mount has 25mm spacing so motors with 19mm spacing are going to be a pita. Compared to the original Funcub, this mount is a huge improvement.
Sep 07, 2020, 08:50 PM
Hereís some shots of my motor. 35mm diameter is the maximum size to fit through the cowl opening.
Sep 08, 2020, 11:47 AM
that looks good!
Sep 08, 2020, 01:31 PM
Jimbo
As Blackjack172 said, and from the manual "Motor ROXXY BL C35-42-930KV (only this motor fits in the FunCub NG " Page 16, spare parts.

Some pics of my motor:-
Sep 08, 2020, 04:34 PM
Nice work...lacking your turning skills I would have just tried to reverse the motor shaft and use the 25mm mount points.
Sep 09, 2020, 04:05 AM
Jimbo
Still waiting for Royal Mail to deliver 3mm tap so I can finish the install. Want to make sure it all fits before gluing the fuzz halves together.
It's nice to have access to a good lathe. I'm retired, but do the occasional job.

mw757, nice place you live, spent 3 weeks on the island about 2007.
Sep 10, 2020, 04:27 AM
Jimbo
Almost ready for first flight!!

Quick Reply