Sep 08, 2021, 10:26 PM
The relatively new v761 (16" wingspan) warbirds with self level beginner and intermediate mode -plus a gyro off mode are pretty popular with newbies. Just this summer I flew my very first rc airplane and it was a v761 F4u Corsair. And I didn't crash. On the second battery I switched from beginner to intermediate mode and still didn't crash. But the intermediate mode is still self level, so its really just another beginner mode. They're fun as heck! Been flying small electric helis and quads for a few years tho, so I wasn't a total beginner.

But electric is the way to go! No mess, no fuss. Just take care of your batteries. And make sure you fly with fully charged batteries and don't put back in a discharged pack! For these micros, I keep the fully charge battery packs in the right pocket and the discharged ones in the left pocket! Its a trick I learned from electric quads and helis.

Wow this thread was old! Times sure have changed! But electric is where its at.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2021, 12:15 PM
Parks are generally populated by mothers and kids. Flying anything, even an electric that sounds more like a hair dryer than an airplane , doens't seem to be too smart!
I have read here on the ;Net about one fatality and one eye loss . Surely there have been more, or or it OK because it is a low number???
Sep 09, 2021, 12:30 PM
Can't fly any RC planes in parks around here. even UMX planes are not allowed.
Sep 11, 2021, 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EloyM
Parks are generally populated by mothers and kids. Flying anything, even an electric that sounds more like a hair dryer than an airplane , doens't seem to be too smart!
I have read here on the ;Net about one fatality and one eye loss . Surely there have been more, or or it OK because it is a low number???
Actually it's a very safe hobby, especially since from the early 2000s we have had the spread spectrum frequency hopping radios, so no longer have planes shot down when a radio using the same frequency as yours is switched on.

Be very careful with stories about fatalities, injuries etc. Often you will find that the stories are very old, and the same old stories are repeated over and over, because they are so rare, but make wonderful click bait!

Here in Australia and in New Zealand, I don't believe there has EVER been a fatality caused by a radio controlled model of any kind. If you have any good evidence to the contrary, then I would be interested to know it. Yet every year in Australia, pedestrians are killed by cyclists, and people are killed by domestic dogs. And that's without mentioning the fatalities caused regularly by golf and cricket balls.

Now that does NOT mean I think there should be tougher laws for cycles and dogs - just that there are, and always will be, risks in life, and legislation does NOT remove them. RC modelling is one of the least risky hobbies there is.
Sep 15, 2021, 05:53 PM
youtube.com/SukoRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tridim
I just started flying about 3 weeks ago and have easily talked to 20 different people at the park who all wanted to get into the hobby. Of course I now also understand why they make T-Shirts with the top 5 common RC questions and answers. How high does it go? How much does it cost? What kind of batteries does it use? Does it run on gas? Why is it so quiet? Can I fly it? Etc, etc, etc.. Of course they ask while I'm concentrating on flying. The courtesy early landing is becoming a common occurrence, so I can actually see who I'm talking to.

It seems like dads and kids are the most interested. I've had a few kids tell their dads on the spot, "That's what I want for my Birthday". I think if the hobby were marketed to the general public, it'd be huge. I'm also thinking about making business cards with a list of websites, like rcgroups. It's kind of tiring writing them down every time.
When I used to fly at a school, the first question most people asked was always "How far away can you fly that?", which I always thought was a strange question to ask. If I had to guess, I would've thought that it would have been "How much does that cost" or "How fast can that go". But I'd say 2/3 the time it's some version of "How far away can you fly that".

It seems like a really weird parameter to care about...unless you're planning to smuggle drugs across the border or do some other nefarious thing with it.

Quote:
I'll bet you $5 more people have been maimed or killed from some form of sportsball hitting them than airplanes in the last decade. Either a baseball to the head, or a football to the face or whatever. It does seem strange what some people PERCEIVE as the threat, versus what the actual threat is.
Last edited by Suko; Sep 16, 2021 at 05:08 PM.
Sep 16, 2021, 04:02 PM
Another fatal accident has been reported. At Norco (CA)! Yes Covid 19 is worse, but dead is dead!
Sep 16, 2021, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Another fatal accident has been reported. At Norco (CA)! Yes Covid 19 is worse, but dead is dead!
Have a link to that ?
Sep 20, 2021, 11:29 PM
Hi Eloy, glad to see you are still in the hobby, my son and I used to see you at Mile Square Park. At 82, I'm still at it building and flying small to medium electric powered scale models.

I never understood the terms "Parkflyer" or "Schoolyard Scale". I think it led some to think that they were entitled to fly a "parkflyer" or Schoolyard Scale" model plane in any park or schoolyard despite all the " no flying of model airplanes, etc." signs. There was a time when you could get away with flying almost anywhere until you were told to stop.
Sep 23, 2021, 09:51 AM
Quote:
I would also be interested in reading the link. Thanks in advance. Rut
Sep 23, 2021, 11:09 AM
youtube.com/SukoRC
Citing sources? What do you think this is, a scientific paper!? This is the Intertubes...we don't need sources to backup our claims!
Sep 23, 2021, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suko
Citing sources? What do you think this is, a scientific paper!? This is the Intertubes...we don't need sources to backup our claims!
What the heck was I thinking!!!!! Rut

Quick Reply