Oct 26, 2019, 07:13 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Build Log

Dumas Typhoon build log

I received a this kit from Gary aka: glgirvin, the box had suffered a little water damage, but the contents were fine. The plans had gotten a little wet, so they had smeared, but no big deal, I ordered a new set from Dumas for $27.00 shipped. This is going to be a fun build. I saw where Pat Trittle had build a Typhoon a while back so I will most likely refer to his build thread quite often. Now this box is HUGE and heavy and cost a pretty penny to ship it.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2019, 10:04 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
I started removing the hull framing and keel from the trees yesterday and what a PITA that was, the die cutters must have been quite dull because I had to use an xacto knife to score quite heavily around each and every piece to keep from breaking the pieces while removing them. It reminded me of those old printed on wood kits that you had to use a sharp knife or scroll saw to cut out the pieces.
Nov 08, 2019, 03:39 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
I started working on getting the frames together.
Nov 09, 2019, 06:53 AM
Looking forward to your build...., Greg
Nov 09, 2019, 05:22 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Thank you Greg, I put the two halves of the hull together this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised that there were not warps or twists in the hull.
Nov 10, 2019, 03:53 PM
Looking at your sailing ship and other builds, I donít think we need to worry about warps😀
Nov 10, 2019, 06:39 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
I have it all mounted to the building board.
Nov 12, 2019, 09:38 AM
Hi Mike, It looks like you can still go outside to show your build. This morning, I woke up to 8" of snow and 13 degrees. I think I will stay inside for awhile. Good luck with your build. Gary
Nov 12, 2019, 07:42 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
WOW Gary, I'm running the air conditioning this evening while I'm typing this hahahahah. They claim we have a cold front moving in tonight which will drop our temps drastically from 85 today to the hi's tomorrow of 68 Oooo my teeth are chattering thinking about it

mike
Nov 14, 2019, 09:56 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Mike, with your build still in the framing stage, look ahead to how Dumas sets up the rudder control. A friend built this boat some time ago and Dumas used a goofy (to me, at least) under water hatch to provide access to the tiller and control rod. If some other way were to be devised, now would be the time. I was never sure if that was on the original plan, or was his red neck work-around.

Otherwise, looks good. I always liked the long, double ended Typhoon. Get a nice motor in there, too.

Dave

PS: I've got the same as glgirvin. Temps were in the teens, but getting to mid 30's. Several inches of snow due today.
Last edited by boater_dave; Nov 14, 2019 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added weather report
Nov 14, 2019, 01:32 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
I installed the top stringers, which had to be jointed since the wood strips weren't long enough. I enlarged the slots slightly and also filed the slots to have the proper angle, which relieved a bit of the stress on the framing from the spruce stringers in order to minimize the warping or twisting of the hull. Also the clamping of the keel to the building board is paramount in keeping the keel straight.

I received my new mini Dremel saw/cut off blades yesterday specifically to use to cut out the plastic seat cushions. I bent the shaft on my last one so I had to order them from China since I couldn't find anything comparable in the US. It sure made cutting the seat cushions out a breeze with only a bit of cleanup sanding on the edges. Believe me, I tried using an xacto knife on the last Dumas kit I built and said there has got to be an easier way.
Last edited by mtdoramike; Nov 14, 2019 at 01:37 PM.
Nov 14, 2019, 02:06 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave
Mike, with your build still in the framing stage, look ahead to how Dumas sets up the rudder control. A friend built this boat some time ago and Dumas used a goofy (to me, at least) under water hatch to provide access to the tiller and control rod. If some other way were to be devised, now would be the time. I was never sure if that was on the original plan, or was his red neck work-around.

Otherwise, looks good. I always liked the long, double ended Typhoon. Get a nice motor in there, too.

Dave

PS: I've got the same as glgirvin. Temps were in the teens, but getting to mid 30's. Several inches of snow due today.

Hey Dave,

I'm glad you posted about this nugget of information, I hadn't really noticed that far along in the build yet, but your memory is correct, it shows on the plans where the bottom of the stern section just past the rudder has a trap door or panel which is made to be removed and is attached with small screws on the bottom of the stern to give access to the rudder and rudder servo. I'm not quite fond of this idea either and will have to come up with a different solution to this problem if there is one.
Nov 14, 2019, 04:40 PM
You could do like Pat Tritle and just make sure it is right before closing it up. Post #25 at his build log...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t-Review/page2
Nov 14, 2019, 05:57 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
Thanks derda, I'll check Pat's build again, I checked it out earlier, but overlooked that part.
Nov 19, 2019, 05:21 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Thread OP
I have the seats all made up, checked the fit of the seats and the side panels and everything fits good. I will remove the seats and side panels for painting. The instructions call for green color on the seats and side panels, I dislike green now if I were a purist, that would present a dilemma, but I'm not, so I may stray from the traditional colors of the original.

Quick Reply