Nov 20, 2019, 07:35 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
You guys are too funny.

I can tell this is gonna be a great build thread.

I appreciate your interest.

Your feedback and input adds to my enjoyment of the build.

Hopefully we will see some more Bluto builds here.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2019, 07:55 PM
Held by Grace
Depends ��.......
sorry I couldn’t that back
Last edited by BDOG1; Nov 20, 2019 at 08:04 PM.
Nov 20, 2019, 09:50 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Look, I actually glued a piece of wood to the foam.

Glued wing saddles together last night.

Battery will be up front as far forward as possible.

I was concerned about the receiver be surrounded by lead up front as far as reception, so I'm gonna mount it behind the spar. Also this will allow me to not have to jump the spar with the elevon wires. Just the battery lead will jump over the spar aft.

Good times.
Nov 20, 2019, 11:21 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP

Radio Frame

Had fun with the 1/8" x 1/4" basswood tonight.

Basically I'm framing up where the receiver and elevator servo will be.
Nov 21, 2019, 01:11 AM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP

Spar joiner filler

The carbon spars are tapered. The supplied aluminum tube joiner fits nicely but there's a bit of extra clearance towards the inboard ends of the spars. I had a 5" piece of brass 17/32" tubing that fit the aluminum spar joiner like a glove, so I glued it on the spar joiner using JB Weld.
Nov 24, 2019, 08:53 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP

Elevon servo installation

Started elevon servo cutouts and frames.

The more I thought about it, the less progress I made. So decided to go ahead and cutout holes for servos.

Sometimes just taking a step forward reveals options that weren't readily apparent.
Nov 25, 2019, 11:52 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP

Wing panels attached

Attached wing panels. Used white GG.

The instructions recommend using pins to hold panels in place, which I did. Actually I pinned the center section in its saddle first. That really helped.

Next will be assembling the main spar. Need to purchase some more JB Weld first.

Matin, you will have to forgive me . I was contemplating running the servo leads through the spar. When I did a dress rehearsal, I could tell it was gonna be a PITA. Not worth it.

I'm just going to notch the bottom of fins and supports to allow servo leads through. Remember, the receiver will be installed aft of main spar. Have the faith, it will work. This will save me the trouble of jumping the spar except once with the battery lead.
Nov 26, 2019, 07:48 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP

Spar prep

Prepped spars for joiner.

Used mechanical fingers to sand and clean spar bores.

Instructions don't specify gluing both spars to joiner at the same time.

I've decided to glue the joiner in one spar at a time, that way I can assure that the joiner is perfectly centered.

Used 220 grit then cleaned inside spar with alcohol soaked paper towel.
Nov 26, 2019, 07:54 PM
Just Toss It !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopemaster
......I'm just going to notch the bottom of fins and supports to allow servo leads through.......
Hopefully in a manner that would not result in the servo wires being ripped off if the fins ever pop out.

I still think the manual's suggestions for the "electronics layout" are easier to implement for most builders.
But I'm looking forward to see what you come up with seeing as you are actually a custom builder.

Just remember: You are off the reservation!
Nov 26, 2019, 09:18 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Geez Matin,

Trust me, I won't let you down.

Yes, the fins will still be completely removable.

Talk to Jack, I know I've raised the hair on the back of his neck a few times with my LEG builds, But fortunately for me, he hasn't cut me off yet.

Remember, I get paid to worry about all the bad things that could happen.

Good to hear from you. I was worried you were AWOL!
Last edited by Slopemaster; Nov 26, 2019 at 09:25 PM.
Nov 26, 2019, 09:18 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
No soup for me ?
Last edited by Slopemaster; Nov 26, 2019 at 10:06 PM.
Nov 26, 2019, 11:10 PM
Just Toss It !!!
Well .....that expression usually means that if, God forbid, something goes wrong, we might not be able help you.....nothing more.

And please let me elaborate:
The whole point of putting together a set of instructions - as in a "manual"- is to give the builder the most efficient way of constructing the kit.
It is not the only "way", but it is usually the least complicated and labor-intensive "way".
Those means, methods and sequences in the manual are the result of our experiences during the R&D of the kit, having built several.
People can choose to ignore the instructions in the "manual" and go their own way, even though we do not encourage it because it often brings "unintended consequences" that the builder might not be prepared for.
We always encourage our customers to use the methods and steps in the manual, at least on the first kit.
If they don't like the results, they probably won't bother with a second one.
If they like the results, they can use their own methods on the next kit as they now know how to avoid the "unintended consequences".
Last edited by MATIN; Nov 26, 2019 at 11:24 PM.
Nov 27, 2019, 12:02 AM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Good points Matin,

I agree, the instructions are very well written and I especially appreciate the pictures and illustrations.

Spar joiner is glued in one spar. I decided to do one side at a time so I could ensure joiner stayed centered.

The brass sleeve in the center really helped keeping the joiner centered in carbon spar. I partially installed the other spar and placed assembly in wing cutouts to maintain alignment.
Nov 27, 2019, 06:04 PM
Held by Grace
"Just remember: You are off the reservation! "
hmm ...
Let's see - time for some fact checks :

Your favorite slope is Pickle Butte {Model Aviation 12/2019 }
You have to drive your {expensive } 4 wheeler up thru Lava rocks which can cut a expensive tire and leave you stranded to get there
The best launch area faces north west - which puts you directly above a "less than perfectly designed rifle range " so a occasionally stray shots go zooming over your head
When it's hot there {summer} you recommend not using a chair as Rattle snakes have been known to seek shelter in its shade
Your landing zone is filled with lava rocks
It's in a nice neighborhood...there's a landfill right next door
Most of the time when you go flying ,you cannot get anyone to go with you....{I WONDER WHY ?}
so you borrow your neighbors dog for company {check the pictures you will see }

Yup off the reservation for sure ! !
Happy Thanksgiving My friend
Mike { part of the tribe }
Nov 27, 2019, 07:10 PM
F3Foamie Pilot
Thread OP
Thanks Mike,

Happy thanksgiving to you too.

I'm happy that you got to experience Pickle with me and I look forward to your next visit.

Hopefully it won't be raining next time. One advantage to picking crappy weather days is it cuts down on the gun nuts shooting at you.

By the time you make it back out, we will be flying the Bluto.

Time to glue the other spar on.

Quick Reply