Oct 27, 2019, 08:58 AM
turn, turn, turn.
PS... I will be happy to launch the hand launch for you if you would prefer that .
Last edited by Kenny Sharp; Oct 27, 2019 at 10:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2019, 09:04 AM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
I have flown the Allegro Lite (the one I posted pictures of) in 30 mph winds. It is the model I would feel the most comfortable flying in the most wind.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Oct 27, 2019, 10:33 AM
Sonoran Laser Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
Hmm, the Yellow Jacket 2M Competition-F5 Electric was mentioned earlier and it does kind of meet ALL my "original" pod and boom criteria (mainly lightness by reducing the weight of a rear fuselage lessening the need for a heavy battery/motor) if I did my "Sig Mod" to the outer two panels which would be a lot easier from scratch. I do totally get that it might be easier to learn to thermal in the RES configuration, but I do like flying 3 channel.

The wind does need to be considered because during the middle of the day around here they wind is often 10 mph or more. We fly in a deep valley that seems to channel the air. Is that too much wind for this type of plane to handle or just to much to consider soaring? It was much windier and gustier the day I remaindered the Riser and there were a couple times it got flipped up on its side.
The Yellow Jacket electric handles higher wind very well. It weight 2-3 oz more than the F3RES and when flying F3RES in the wind we add 2-3 oz. The 2m electric is typically in the 17-18 oz AUW range.
Oct 27, 2019, 01:06 PM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
Thread OP
Taking some advice from Kenny and others I have located a used Radian I think I'll get and try a little RES. I'll fly it and my Sig this fall. I need to learn to walk before I can run. It will be fun to compare them.
Oct 27, 2019, 02:12 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Remember... follow your streamer to lift ..And when it picks up energy and you can feel it getting on step a little bit, and not mushing around, then start turning.

Easy-peasy.
Oct 27, 2019, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
I can't wait till we have a sunny day somewhat calm day here in NE to get into the air again. I have really gotten a lot of good info and advice, and need to give it a try.
Oct 27, 2019, 03:00 PM
you too

Take advantage of early mornings

and evenings, just because you've read everywhere the best lift is during the day doesn't mean you can't get in some good practice

Launch , fly silent, land.

Make a plan each flight, seek out different parts of the sky, and create some references with the landscape around you

Given time you'll develope patterns and discover your flights and landings are getting better each time.

Let the plane read the wave or the lift, Keep the speed up, and let go of the sticks on occasion

whacker
Oct 27, 2019, 10:24 PM
A good F3RES model can probably handle quite a bit more wind than a Riser, even before you add ballast. I once borrowed a glider with an Allegro Lite wing on a windy day. The model was a bit heavy. I recall almost everyone else had trouble getting back to the field, but I didn't.

I ran across an interesting design called the F5J Hornet by a guy who calls himself ultrajet. Don't know if it's,a,good one or not. I think the computer ate my homework yesterday, when I was writing about Terry Edmunds' Io. I think it may be foam and fiberglass, but you might copy the construction techniques of the larger sibling, the Callisto. My Io flew quite well, though it required more work to fly than other models. The fin and fuselage were a bit delicate, though. The Io would probably do even better with a somewhat faster airfoil. The spoilers and t-tail played very nicely together and no compensation was needed.
Oct 28, 2019, 07:54 AM
The foil if I remember correctly on the Io was an e193. Culpepper Models produced kits of Terry’s plans back in the day and I think they came with a fiberglass fuselage but Terry build his with wood. They were not hands off Sunday fliers but watching Terry fly you would not think this.
Oct 28, 2019, 08:04 AM
Thread OP
Thanks! The Hornet is along the lines of what I was looking for BUT I have a new plan.

Spend the few remaining good days in Nov flying my Riser and try to do some of the things folks have explained and in general get used to the type of controlled flying I need to do. (Field closes in Dec anyway).

Spend my spare time in the winter selling a couple of old vintage kits and new/newish Saito engines for them because I already have more nice planes than I can or will fly. Maybe even try to sell some planes though that is always hard up in the boonies. Maybe try to sell some FPV stuff since I never really got very comfortable with that. I like building planes and hate selling stuff but I know I should and it would be more sensible in the long run.

Use the cash to purchase a nice sailplane next spring. Spend some time "learning" this winter.
Oct 28, 2019, 08:08 AM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Flying is always the best plan. Do that now while you can.

If you have parts/balsa/etc. then if you are in the mood to scratch build you could always start a project while selling off stuff you don't need too.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Oct 28, 2019, 10:37 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Remember when you are flying to turn both ways equally well, and try and core every thermal you find... Figure out which side has the strongest lift, and whether the lift is better a little more forward or a little further back, and then exploit that lift.
If you get kicked out of that lift, that means you are getting close to the core.

Don't be afraid to leave that thermal and go for another one if you get a read. .. or you are getting a little too far downwind for your own personal comfort.

Try not to come straight back unless you are trying to make time, but go at an angle to the right or to the left, depending on which side has the best buoyancy in the air.
Oct 28, 2019, 10:41 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Remember, the idea is to catch as many thermals as possible...not take one thermal and fly it for 10 minutes.

That said, don't be afraid to take one large thermal to spec height… but don't hang out for long since you've already climbed out to make 10 minutes.

Put the nose down, come back, and start again at launch height...or lower if you can.
Oct 28, 2019, 01:05 PM
B for Bruce
To add to the flood of info already being given I'll just add that to fly a sailplane efficiently and maximize the time in the air from the energy (height) gained at launch you want to focus on learning to make your turns very smoothly and well coordinated. Entering, flying and exiting turns involves more drag than just letting the model fly straight with the trims well set. To use your height in the most efficient way possible and to soar in the lightest of thermals you need to learn to turn the model with as little height loss and added drag as possible. So pay some attention to that aspect too. Otherwise you can find yourself trying to circle in fine lift but just barely holding your own instead of climbing. Or you may fly level through a patch of light lift which lifts your model up by a noticeable amount but when you circle in it and let the model get too close to the stall or fly too fast it comes down instead of going up.

It's an odd combination of a glider like this being one of the easier models to just fly. But to fly it well and soar (gain height and time) in marginal conditions requires a touch on the controls and mental plan that is actually as finely tuned a skill as any other area of competition model flying. That and the idea that every day the air is different is what I think keeps us soaring pilots coming back for more and more and why it never gets old.

It's a funny thing too…. Other than some milestones like the first one hour flight and such I don't really remember the days with frequent big thermals. Instead I vividly recall all the times I flew well in absolutely miserable or very light lift conditions.

Like the magic of the humid ground lift morning that formed a pillow of air that held up my Gentle Lady and which no one else could use since their models were all heavier and faster flying. It floated there for more than 20 minutes neither gaining nor losing. I had set the trims to hold a circling flight and the only time I even touched the sticks was once ever 2 or 3 minutes when it tried to move away from the peak of this "pillow" of lift that was right in the middle of the plowed field. Not a thermal at all. A whole other sort of lift that I've seen frequently since then with my free flight models on foggy mornings when the conditions are just starting to clear away.

Or the time in a contest that the only lift was way out to one side and we were flying little spec's of model in the distance.

Or the very windy day at the Boeing Hawks Electric Fly when I got longest flight of the day when I got high enough in a fast moving thermal to get up to where there was apparently a wave lift effect due to the bluff about a mile upwind of the field and I just sat up there crabbing a little sideways but basically nose into the wind and stayed up there for just over an hour before I said "enough" and came down. Landing was "fun" due to the wind speed and turbulence.

Or the day of magic clouds. I would watch a little cloud form and grow over the field upwind and scoot over to it. I'd ride that thermal for 4 or 5 minutes while looking back over my shoulder to see when the next whisp of cloud formed over the upwind field that indicated the next thermal and I'd scoot back upwind to intrude under the whisp and be carried away anew. Did this for about 6 or 8 times and got in another hour long easy flight. But it was the magic of seeing the little whisp appear and grow that tickled my funny bone. But after an hour and seeing that this "thermal factory" was going to run all afternoon I said "enough" and came in. While fun the one time it was a bit too much like shooting fish in a barrel.

There's other days that stick in my mind too. And many a day where the stress of riding some super light patch down low to make my time in a contest flight resulted in sweat drenched armpits. The times where you just rocket up in some major stovepipe for some reason are not the more memorable times.... At least not for me.
Oct 28, 2019, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
It is interesting that you should mention this. I would not consider myself to be a disciplined pilot, nor am I good a planning ahead in my everyday flying. While I can do some maneuvers well, I have never been able to be a good aerobatic pilot who can put together a string of perfect
or even decent "figures". I am pretty good at flying on the edge of stall, and flying smoothly, flying zero mistakes high, and not crashing. I am aware from reading the posts in this thread that I need focus on : plan my approach for the mission, fly the plan, be patient and llok for what the aircraft is telling me, and fly smoothly with minimal control inputs. It is possible, I think, and hope, that I can train myself to do these things. It seems like a worthy challenge.

I need to gather all this great info and paste it into a document to read and re read and get a good mental picture. I have read some articles and watched a few how to soar videos and yet some of the things mentioned in the post on this thread seem to provide a more focused road map of what I need to look for and how to approach things.

Quick Reply