Oct 25, 2019, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Minnie Mambo (redesign by Gene Rock)

Realizing there was at least one other build log for this airplane sometime ago, moderators can delete this one if not appropriate.

I ordered a short kit for the Minnie Mambo and downloaded the plans from here: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=620 Tiled plans printed from PDF and taped together.

I was planning to use a Cox 0.049 "Product" engine so will need to adjust the nose to accommodate that engine and it's separate tank rather than the Babe Bee called for originally. Believe RE rather than rudder only, likely enough excitement for this old guy that way. I recall seeing video of a Minnie Mambo equipped with a Cox Surestart, so if anyone has words of wisdom about fitting an engine with a separate tank, please chime in.
Last edited by RCH2016; Nov 16, 2019 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Correct name of designer
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2019, 03:23 PM
///////
Will be just fine moving F1 forward a bit, the addition of elevator will come handy with the extended flight time!
Oct 25, 2019, 03:50 PM
Build it! I replied to your PM regarding my Minnie Mambo setup. Also found this old pic of the build when it was at the ARF stage. You can see the hardwood blocks I made to space out the backplate from the firewall to allow the choke tube to fit. I've lost a few brain cells since then but I don't recall modding the firewall location. Keep us updated. The world needs more Minnie Mambos!
Oct 25, 2019, 04:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Bee
...You can see the hardwood blocks I made to space out the backplate from the firewall to allow the choke tube to fit...
I like the idea of using some spacers rather than moving the firewall. Measurements indicate 1/2" spacers should put the prop in about the same place as with the tanked engine. Then, if the airplane survives maybe eventually invest in a surestart with throttle.

Would be interesting to hear from anyone who has flown one with RE and unthrottled 0.049. I am thinking measuring out 1/2 ounce of fuel for like in the old days might help for initial flights.
Oct 25, 2019, 05:18 PM
I didn't have the throttle initially, adding it later. Flies just fine without it and it's definitely not overpowered, clawing for altitude. I mostly added it to allow pulling the power back until it would just hold altitude and sip the fuel from the 2oz tank during long flights around the pattern at SMALL.
Oct 25, 2019, 05:20 PM
FWIW, the rudder is sensitive and the MM can do vicious spins!
Oct 25, 2019, 06:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Bee
FWIW, the rudder is sensitive and the MM can do vicious spins!

Sorry to hear that! Gess small control throws are appropriate.

Any comment on the utility of the rubber band gear attachment? Seem to recall reading somewhere that later versions of the kit just used conventional fixed wire gear.
Oct 25, 2019, 07:08 PM
I went with the banded gear for nostalgia sake. They knock loose easy easy enough when things get rough.
Oct 26, 2019, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH2016
Sorry to hear that! Gess small control throws are appropriate.
I just fly on low rates for normal Mambo-ness and high rates for super duper Mambo-ness.
Oct 29, 2019, 10:09 AM
Thread OP
Based on 049Flyer's advice to "Lose the Cox Tank". I am using a tankless "product" engine have owned for a long time. Tee Bee, would be interested in knowing whether you used a balloon tank, and whatever tank you used installation details behind the firewall. Of course the original Minnie Mambo used a tanked engine so the only thing behind the firewall was the battery.

Although am just beginning construction, thinking forward to covering am considering solar film rather than ultracoat, (to decrease weight). but have never used the former on a glow-powered airplane. Thoughts?
Oct 29, 2019, 10:58 AM
My MM has a 2oz Sullivan round tank set up with 2 lines, a pickup and a vent. Both lines run thru the firewall. I epoxied a piece of nylon Sullivan Gold pushrod into the firewall to act as a nipple on each side for the fuel tubing. One line goes to the engine, the other just faces forward for tank venting. To fill up, I detach the tubing from the engine and use a squeeze bottle. There is plenty of room in that model for the tank and battery up front. Heck, Kim Stricker's Little Traveler Minnie Mambo has a 4oz tank in there and can easily fly a half hour or more. I use vented tanks on all my reedie engines with no fuel draw issues for normal sport flying. Others prefer the bladder tanks. It makes the world go 'round.
Oct 29, 2019, 11:57 AM
Here is a tank option, clunks can be found in the fishing weight aisle at Walmart.
Oct 29, 2019, 06:10 PM
Yep, those pear-shaped lead weights make great clunks. I drill thru the center and JB Weld a piece of 1/8" brass tubing into the weight.

BTW RCH2016, 049flyer is legit! I've seen some of his great flying 1/2A planes in the air at SMALL a few years back.
Oct 29, 2019, 06:43 PM
Thanks Tee Bee!

Yup, my best flying buddy and I drove to SMALL with a minivan stuffed to the ceiling with 1/2a planes and gliders. We flew RC and control line too! Had a blast, but it was really hot and dusty, still had a great time though.

It was a 1/2a free for all! Control line, RC, free flight and even rockets, all flying at the same time. I’ll bet there are more 1/2a engines running at SMALL than there are in the whole rest of the world combined.
Oct 30, 2019, 12:07 AM
Hope to see you there again!

Quick Reply