Nov 04, 2019, 09:02 PM
Good stuff!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2019, 08:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Bee
I sometimes use mylar hinges cut from old floppy discs and attach with thin CA.
I consider myself a real pack rat, but haven't had or even seen a floppy disc in years. Rather like 8 track tapes. The Sig easy hinges seem to be a mylar core surrounded by fuzzy coating.
Nov 05, 2019, 08:59 AM
I also fly control line planes and many in that group use Sig Koverall covering for cloth hinges. I was thinking of taking it a step further and trying Koverall as a CA hinge. I have yards of Koverall laying about.

I have used floppy disks before as a hinge material and found them to be unreliable. They become brittle and break easily when subjected to any minor shock or stress. Might be OK for small electrics but not robust enough for glow in my opinion.
Nov 05, 2019, 02:43 PM
Yep. I've still got floppy mylar in some .010 and .020 planes but nothing larger. I usually pull-test them before a flying session. Haven't installed any new ones lately.
Nov 05, 2019, 02:59 PM
More Minnie Mambo motivation:
Nov 05, 2019, 03:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Bee
I have used the CA hinges successfully in many small airplanes including 1/16" thick surfaces. I just draw a pencil line on the centerline and cut the slots VERY carefully with a fresh #11 Xacto blade.
I glued a new #11 onto a scrap piece of 1/16" balsa. Holding the scrap and the control surface flat on the building board, I was easily able to slot the 1/8" balsa elevator halves and the horizontal stabilizer trailing edge for CA hinges. The vertical stabilizer and rudder should be no more difficult.
Nov 05, 2019, 06:30 PM
I think sewn hinges just look right on a plane designed for single channel, they match the time the plane was designed in. With a little care they aren't hard to make look decent and they are about as free as you can make a hinge, ever the lightest surface will fall from it's own weight with sewn hinges. I used them on my GG Fidget, the plane may be a new design but the control system is old tech and the actuator needs the hinges to be as free as possible.
Nov 14, 2019, 08:07 PM
Thread OP
I am interested in the wheels on "Little Traveler". I am likely going to build my gear from wire like on "Little Traveler" rather than from aluminum. The wheels appear to be plastic with a thin rubber rim. Are they rollers of some kind like for a drawer?
Nov 14, 2019, 08:56 PM
The Little Traveler doesn't belong to me. It belongs to Kim Stricker of MO. He's a regular at the SMALL events but I'm not sure if he frequents this forum. I don't know what wheels he used. Kim and I have had some fun times flying our MMs together around the pattern at SMALL fly-ins.

My MM originally sported a set of Trexler inflatable wheels. They really looked neat on that plane but quickly got gooey, sticky, and quit holding air for any length of time. I swapped out to light foam tires with plastic hubs after the first few flights and pics were made.
Nov 14, 2019, 11:30 PM
Nitro User
RCH those are Du-Bro Super Lite foam wheels likely 1.75" or 2"

https://www.dubro.com/products/super-lite-wheels
Nov 15, 2019, 06:16 AM
The Dubro Super Lites are actually what's on my MM.
Nov 15, 2019, 08:34 AM
Nitro User
Lol right Troy, whoops looked at the wrong plane.

The others look like tether car wheels.

Nov 15, 2019, 08:53 AM
Thread OP
What are tether car wheels? Never heard of them.
Nov 16, 2019, 08:34 AM
Thread OP

This Minnie Mambo is by Gene Rock (not Brock)

Can someone tell me how to change title of a thread ? All this time I have had the designer's name wrong! Apologies to him!

Quick Reply