Feb 13, 2020, 09:56 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityskier
And really big, too. Should fly like a sailplane.

Jim
Yeah, Ken thinks I should leave off the motors and fly it off the slope. Or fit a turboprop in the nose and have dummy props, like the Mamba test aircraft. You know Ken...
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2020, 11:53 AM
Ken Stuhr
Heyheyhey................I'm just looking out for the guy with only 1 motor.
Feb 13, 2020, 12:24 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
My little hot wire cutter does a very good job providing that the item is 120mm or smaller. In the case of this radome I had to slice it in half to get the cross-section right, and then glue it back together to do the rest. The foam is new to me, a replacement for the familiar pink or blue foam I'm used to. It has a slightly tighter weave, so sands back nicely after the rough shaping. There are the odd nibs and voids to contend with, but lightweight filler covers all the inconsistencies.

This is the smaller of the two H2S radomes carried by the Lincoln. The larger one is relatively huge, wider than the fuselage and with two gigantic bosoms to shape. No thanks!

I've also been working on the cowls. The depron parts are nearly there, just waiting for the laser cutting company to get back to me with a quote for the 32 1/2" balsa segments to make up the front ends, themselves a master class in unusual shapes.

My solartex arrives tomorrow. Despite it being out of production, there is still stock available at Solarfilm Sales Ltd. Don't take it all!
Feb 14, 2020, 09:09 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Confession time. When I looked at the model this morning, I thought the motor centre lines looked a bit low. Like 5mm too low!

So I re-drilled the firewalls 5mm higher up and all is well again. Apart from the No 3 cowl, which will have to be re-made as the quality inspector wouldn't pass it.

Phew.
Feb 17, 2020, 11:07 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
I have been putting off and putting off making the UC legs, largely because I've never been good at wire bending, and the size of the wire (3/16th) was intimidatingly large and difficult.

However, in a small piece of serendipity, Luke Z the originator of the Ivan's thread had a K&S "Mighty bender and coiler" which he no longer needed and so gave it to TrevorH . I borrowed it before Christmas and finally got round to the task.

And how easy it was! I made up the two legs in 30 minutes: that included a try with thinner wire (actually more difficult) and using my Dremel to cut off the ends as needed.

The fit is a bit tight at the moment but the legs actually stop before the ply doublers. I now need to drill out the centres of my wheels and get the model stood on her legs for a milestone picture.

So: thanks to everyone who persuaded me to use a single big retract for each mainwheel, and particularly to Trevor and of course to Luke.

Lincoln retracts (0 min 22 sec)
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Feb 17, 2020 at 11:14 AM.
Feb 17, 2020, 12:58 PM
Excellent!
Feb 17, 2020, 01:12 PM
Looks great Mike.
Feb 22, 2020, 05:42 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Quite a bit of building done in the last week, mostly of the nacelles, and mostly depron and foam. I'm still waiting for the laser-cut nacelle fronts, so can't really make any progress on the round bits until they arrive, but the back of the nacelles are coming on. The rear part is foam, HWC then sanded to section. I'm still thinking about the UC doors and how to operate them. I don't want complications such as sequencers or additional servos: some sort of rubber band arrangement sounds good!

The wheels are an inch under-size at 5" diameter. There is just room in the wells for the 6" scale size but before I spend the kids' inheritance I'll test fly with the smaller ones.
Feb 22, 2020, 06:24 PM
Summit Model Aeronautics
Mike, Mike, Mike. Sigh. That's not cold. I can see live plants and greenery through your window. Last week it was -22 C, and the even the dogs didn't want to spend any longer outside than they needed to take care of business.

The Lincoln looks good though!

Steve
Feb 22, 2020, 08:35 PM
Ken Stuhr
OK, Mike---what's this?? Take your best shot(s).
Feb 23, 2020, 02:45 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyken
OK, Mike---what's this?? Take your best shot(s).
I have no idea Ken, apart from that it's a seaplane. Not the Dunne, but the front end looks familiar.
Feb 23, 2020, 02:49 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85
Mike, Mike, Mike. Sigh. That's not cold. I can see live plants and greenery through your window. Last week it was -22 C, and the even the dogs didn't want to spend any longer outside than they needed to take care of business.

The Lincoln looks good though!

Steve
Now that IS cold! I admit defeat.
Feb 23, 2020, 03:22 AM
Ken, It looks like a 1200w power supply driving some sort of Reaktor Charger. Unfortunately I can't see much more 'cos there's a massive hull in the way
Feb 23, 2020, 03:41 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Ha ha Trevor, very good. Wait though Ken, is it going to be that Blackburn seaplane with a retractable main float? Surely not?
Feb 23, 2020, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike
I'm still thinking about the UC doors and how to operate them. I don't want complications such as sequencers or additional servos: some sort of rubber band arrangement sounds good!

The wheels are an inch under-size at 5" diameter. There is just room in the wells for the 6" scale size but before I spend the kids' inheritance I'll test fly with the smaller ones.
This is looking really good, I can't wait to see it take to the sky.

The full size undercarriage doors are operated by a fixed length link attached to the gear door and undercarriage leg. As the leg retracts it pulls the doors closed, as the leg extends it pushes the doors open. I imagine using a length of rod with elastic running through it anchored to leg and door (to dispense with the full size bearings, collars, ball joints etc) would work.

Your wheels are very nearly scale at 5". What isn't very common knowledge is Lanc/Lincoln/Shackleton all share the same Dunlop mainwheels and tyres, and at 64" diameter yours are 1/4" undersize - if that. Not long ago nine of my spare Shackleton wheels and tyres got sold to the RAF to keep their aircraft flying, and recently a pair went out to Canada for a similar purpose!

Quick Reply