Jan 13, 2020, 02:47 AM
Father by day, hacker by night
Nice trick with the castor limiting pieces. I'll most likely copy that
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2020, 09:47 AM
Summit Model Aeronautics
Thanks, Mike and Ray. Ron van Sommeren's thread is a great read. I think I'll re-think my wiring harness...

Steve
Jan 13, 2020, 11:32 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Are batteries in the wings or nacelles an option?
I'm not familiar with the Lancaster design/dimensions.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
• Without a watt-meter you are in the dark ... until something starts to glow •
e-flight calculatorswatt-metershigh power motor tips&tricksCumulus MFC
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Jan 13, 2020 at 11:39 AM.
Jan 13, 2020, 02:04 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
[QUOTE=Ron van Sommeren;43588723]Are batteries in the wings or nacelles an option?
I'm not familiar with the Lancaster design/dimensions.

Hi Ron, there would be room, but I'm not a fan of all that weight in the wings, which would adversely affect lateral responsiveness. And tbh the weight of the battery needs to be as far forward as possible.
Jan 14, 2020, 02:41 PM
I’m a ‘batteries and ESCs in the middle’ man too but I’m expecting Robin (eye4wings) to pop up any moment and point out that having the batteries in the nacelles, directly over the wings, reduces stress loads, permitting a lighter airframe. . .
Jan 17, 2020, 09:49 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
The next stage for me is skinning the upper and lower parts of the fuselage with soft 1.5mm balsa. The size of the model needs 4" wide sheets of the right length need to be glued together (cut edges sellotaped tight together, a run of glue down the folded join, then the sheets opened out and weighted down on a flat surface, left for a few hours until dry).

I find the trick is to damp the outside of the sheet with water then wrap it to the curve with soft fabric (in this case, the sort of elastic bandage used for sprains and ankle support) until it is dry. If I try to fit the sheet when it's still wet, it shrinks slightly and gives that starved-horse look.

The first wrap is to get the balsa to the right shape. The second and final one is with all surfaces glued up as you see in the pictures, with the fewest pins possible, just to seal down the corners and edges where the bandage does not do the job.

Doing the job in sections makes it easier than trying to do a 48" length all at once. The long sheet would probably conform to the slight changes of angle but would be much harder to manage.
Jan 17, 2020, 10:31 AM
Summit Model Aeronautics
Looks good, Mike. I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but why have you opted for balsa sheeting as opposed to Depron? Ding resistance?

Steve
Jan 17, 2020, 11:14 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Hi Steve.

It was designed as a balsa build and I'm following Ivan's methods for the most part, I used depron for the half formers for cheapness! And they provide a bigger glueing surface and are resilient and easy to cut out. But the skinning and great majority of the structure is balsa.

I'm not terribly impressed by the new grey 3mm depron, it is very soft and as you say very vulnerable. So I'm saving my box of the good old white stuff for depron builds. Anyway, balsa seems to be better for covering than depron, although there are some really large depron models I just decided not to go that way.
Jan 17, 2020, 03:03 PM
Ken Stuhr
HI folks

Just an FYI for those who don't know, and maybe can't get, Hobbyking has a line of sheet foam that is harder than the gray stuff and smoother than RCFoam. I have several boxes of it for future projects and like it OK.
Jan 19, 2020, 12:47 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Time to start thinking about the very distinctive Lincoln bomb aimer's glasshouse. The faceted design was apparently a much better viewpoint than the Lancaster's and even had a proper seat for the crew member to sit in. Once I realised that it is all flat panels, it became slightly easier to visualise. Could it be made from a flat sheet of Christmas Cracker wrapping? I made a card pattern to see how it all fitted together, scored along the join lines. The cut-outs were a bit more tricky, and the process leaves me in awe of the people who design these card models you cut out and assemble.

I sent off a balsa form for the mid-upper turret to Steve at Vortex Vacforms a few days ago and the moulding is in the post back to me. Great service as usual. Fitting the cupola into the model is interesting and unless the hole in the upper sheeting is supported, the thing will just flop about. So as a start I've added some internal reinforcement which should make it easier to model.
Jan 19, 2020, 12:52 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyken
HI folks

Just an FYI for those who don't know, and maybe can't get, Hobbyking has a line of sheet foam that is harder than the gray stuff and smoother than RCFoam. I have several boxes of it for future projects and like it OK.
Thanks for the tip Ken. Something else to try. Is it for the Boulton Paul Brexit commemoration biplane?
Jan 19, 2020, 01:34 PM
Ken Stuhr
Haha---BPB! Nice!

No, just stock for any future thing. The BPB will be balsa ++.

Ken
Jan 20, 2020, 04:56 PM
Ken Stuhr
Say, Mike.........Brexit is a little too modern, so how about

Brexfit
Jan 20, 2020, 05:08 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Thread OP
Ken's design, his Boulton Paul Brexitfighter/Bolt-on Fighter/Bfighter, or any name you want to give it. I'm sure there will be a substantial prize for the winning entry (and life SPNOKA membership)

The image may be subject to copyright
Jan 20, 2020, 05:48 PM
Ken Stuhr
or copycats.

Quick Reply