Oct 23, 2019, 06:05 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Guillows Hawker Hurricane built and flight

Here is a Guillows Hawker Hurricane I built for the Guillows challenge of 20 sec flight. As you can see she is an old kit that I built out of the box using the die cut wood and even used the wooden nose button but did not add permanent landing gear, but you can see it came with wood wheels. The wood is typical old heavy Guillows balsa of back in the day but it made for a fun build. I did nothing to make the kit lighter, just built her out of the box. I did fly her with the 5 inch prop and newer Guillows blue rubber band and you can see she flies. I then swapped the 5 inch prop for a Guillows 6 inch prop and she flew great up until the plane hit a light post. Since she is a robust design there was no major damage to the plane except the wooden thrust button, easy fix. For the 20 second flight I used 8 inch rubber from the Guillows profile models and 6 inch prop. I had to use extra kit balsa to extend the wooden nose button because it did not fit, I guess back in the day Guillows wanted the builder to glue the button in place. I used the kit white tissue, and covered the fuselage with wet tissue and flying surfaces with dry tissue attaching with thinned Elmers white glue, I also built the entire model with Elmers Glue All. I used water to shrink the tissue and brushed on 2 coats of Sig Lite Cote. I also used the old decals, first spraying the decal sheet with Testors Glosscote and they went on ok. Some of the decals did not stick very well so I used thin glue to attach. Here are the videos showing Guillows models do fly out of the box with a little down thrush and weight in the nose. The blue rubber band was able to handle 250-300 winds and the Guillows 3/32 rubber handled 300-350 winds. I did lube the rubber with FAI glycerin/green soap and used my handy battery operated winder. I really like this winder don't have to set up a stooge.
Guillows Hawker Hurricane flight (0 min 33 sec)

Guillows Hawker Hurricane with kit prop and blue rubber band (0 min 13 sec)

Guillows Hawker Hurricane with 6 inch prop and blue rubber band (0 min 13 sec)
Last edited by scigs30; Oct 23, 2019 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added video
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2019, 11:17 PM
Great build and great flights. Thanks for posting.
Oct 25, 2019, 02:01 PM
A really great, and long flight. I was delighted.

Kevin
Nov 14, 2019, 09:55 PM
Crash and fly again
Beautifully done. I didn't think this degree of success was possible from a stock kit. Kudos sir.
Nov 15, 2019, 02:54 PM
B for Bruce
What was the power setup for the first video?
Nov 19, 2019, 03:52 PM
Thread OP
I actually used 8 inches double loop of the rubber that comes with the new Guillows Profile kits, I think it is 3/32.
Nov 19, 2019, 04:59 PM
B for Bruce
That looked like a nice amount of power for smaller parks. Get much higher than it did and it would not take much to overfly the room and be into the trees or up where it's somewhat more likely to find lift and fly right out of the park. MAYBE.... try more like 9 or 10 inch length to get a longer cruise? But that's a hard "MAYBE" which might be an observation based on the wide angle lens you used.

A touch of nose weight to kill the stall at the end would not be amiss either. Or a hair of down trim in the stab to again kill the stall By how fast it pulled out from the first stall I'd go with the down trim over the nose weight. It's plenty strong in pitch stability so it could easily be better with the touch of down in the stab. Then re-trim the downthrust to get your nice long cruise.

Sorry for the fussing if you already had the changes in mind.

Quick Reply