Nov 16, 2019, 11:21 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Don't you hate that?? It's too bad that companies that make covering don't contract with companies to make paint to match like they used to.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2019, 08:55 PM
If I really wanted to I could give a sample to lowes or to the auto paint store and get a perfect match, for right now I'll settle for mixing some airbrush paint and do it this winter.
tried to maiden the plane today but when I went to load it up the wind kicked in. so other things were tended to short days and bad weather make flying really tough
but now I get to decide on my next project while I repair and finnish some others
Nov 17, 2019, 11:36 PM
CC (Certified Curmudgeon)
Some colors are easier than others. Such as Ultracote Olive Drab matches a Rustoleum in the same color perfectly. You just have to put a gloss coat over the Rustoleum to get the same shine.
Nov 18, 2019, 05:20 AM
Hot glue will fix anything!
It takes some trial and error but sometimes you can change the tone of a color by using specific primers or clear cote tints.

I've never done it for models but have had success with automotive applications like that.
Nov 18, 2019, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uksteve
It takes some trial and error but sometimes you can change the tone of a color by using specific primers or clear cote tints.

I've never done it for models but have had success with automotive applications like that.
That is so true. I bought Ultracote Bright Yellow covering and matching paint. To get the paint color correct you had to use white primer. I general take a piece of covering to match rattle can lids then experiement with primer color to get a match. The can be a paint when you figure you are looking at primers in white, gray, red oxide, and black.
Nov 18, 2019, 10:10 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Was hoping to maiden the Oly II and another on Sunday, but we had winds gusting upwards of 40 miles an hour, flying was limited to my fastest birds that I wasn't too concerned with killing, or losing, The other plane was a Peck Polymer Genesis sloper, that I built last week.

Was given a Majestic Major, Ben Buckle kit yesterday, it should keep me busy for awhile. Big 88" span old timer. Looks like this when completed.

Kind of torn on whether to add ailerons or not, the original was RET.
Nov 18, 2019, 10:15 AM
Damage is expected
The Genesis looks like it won't enjoy inverted flight very often. I'd enjoy it for sloping as it looks like a lawn dart
Nov 18, 2019, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamnpacktape
Was hoping to maiden the Oly II and another on Sunday, but we had winds gusting upwards of 40 miles an hour, flying was limited to my fastest birds that I wasn't too concerned with killing, or losing, The other plane was a Peck Polymer Genesis sloper, that I built last week.

Was given a Majestic Major, Ben Buckle kit yesterday, it should keep me busy for awhile. Big 88" span old timer. Looks like this when completed.

Kind of torn on whether to add ailerons or not, the original was RET.
You can't beat those Old Timers!
Nov 18, 2019, 10:28 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warnekid
The Genesis looks like it won't enjoy inverted flight very often. I'd enjoy it for sloping as it looks like a lawn dart

Yeah, it is very pointy. My first slope plane in a long time, been a couple of decades since I have done much sloping, but it used to be pretty much all I did. Should be a good little sloper, looking forward to flying her. Unfortunately, some of my best locations have been swallowed up by urban sprawl since I last flew slope.
Nov 18, 2019, 12:52 PM
Pile-it
Iím working on a scratch built EF-1 racer called Aloha. Finishing up the molds for the fiberglass parts now.

Red
Nov 18, 2019, 02:28 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Good Job Alien!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Nov 18, 2019, 04:44 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech
Iím working on a scratch built EF-1 racer called Aloha. Finishing up the molds for the fiberglass parts now.

Red
The full size one doesn't look much bigger than some of our models?
Nov 18, 2019, 06:06 PM
Pile-it
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamnpacktape
The full size one doesn't look much bigger than some of our models?
This class of racer is called Formula-1. They have a minimum weight of 500 lbs. and 66 sq. ft. of wing area, so yeah not much bigger than some models!

Red
Nov 18, 2019, 06:35 PM
If you don't have the experience on flying formula 1 racers be careful they glide forever and you fly them til they land, I had a denight special and I could line it up and cut power and it would only lose 12 inches from one end to the other
but it was a blast to fly
Nov 18, 2019, 08:46 PM
Damage is expected
Quote:
Originally Posted by slam555
If you don't have the experience on flying formula 1 racers be careful they glide forever and you fly them til they land, I had a denight special and I could line it up and cut power and it would only lose 12 inches from one end to the other
but it was a blast to fly
And I bet they tip-stall just when you think you can float it down. Such hot stuff! Requires some pilot experience and no distractions?

Quick Reply